Standing Room Only On Bus Back From Chiang Rai

meowchawpnom

That'd be a good deal but the thrilling bit sounds a bit ominous, or do you know a place in CR? Being a married man and all, my thrilling days are over but at least I don't have to make that bugger of a journey every month now.

The thrill is being a passenger of mine. :D:D:D:D:D:o:D

As for places in CR, I rarely miss a stop at Charin Resort, Km post #141 on the CM-CR road.. :D

Been passed it many times but never stopped off...always in too much of a rush, but looking at them scrumptious pies, I'll definitely make the effort next time.

Jack, real nice folks there and good basic Thai food in a restaurant perched over the Mae Suay river among beautiful gardens...

charinrestarant.jpg

I am a retired E-7 USAF, and I was respectful and my reply was meant to be only friendly. Married 32 years thank you all for "your service" too.

skyocp

:o:D hahahaha.... typical air force-type, misspells his own name.....

those guys are hopeless :D

***just a bit of razzing from "a different U.S. military branch" retiree***

I am a retired E-7 USAF, and I was respectful and my reply was meant to be only friendly. Married 32 years thank you all for "your service" too.

skyocp

:o:D hahahaha.... typical air force-type, misspells his own name.....

those guys are hopeless :D

***just a bit of razzing from "a different U.S. military branch" retiree***

aim high :D

Edited by devildog683

That'd be a good deal but the thrilling bit sounds a bit ominous, or do you know a place in CR? Being a married man and all, my thrilling days are over but at least I don't have to make that bugger of a journey every month now.

As for places in CR, I rarely miss a stop at Charin Resort, Km post #141 on the CM-CR road.. :D

Been passed it many times but never stopped off...always in too much of a rush, but looking at them scrumptious pies, I'll definitely make the effort next time.

Jack, real nice folks there and good basic Thai food in a restaurant perched over the Mae Suay river among beautiful gardens...

charinrestarant.jpg

took your advice and gave it a shot I have passed it many many times.

What a great hidden jewel to relax have coffee and pie

Thanks for excellent tip

I will make it a regular stop!!!when going North

• 3 weeks later...
I've even seen a CM taxi in the Mae Sai area a few times. I figure the fare for that is around 1,000 baht

I'd say close to double that, Ajarn. Fuel's about 700 baht and it's 6/7 hours work for him.

How do they charge? I thought it was something like 3 baht per kilometer? Or is it 4 baht?

About 500 k's up and back.... About 1500-2000 baht, by my guesstimate

Still a lot

I'll take ya' for 1199, thrills included

charin.jpg

Great reply teacher. sure brings back memories of the trip. Sure is the best place for a rest stop some cake and coffee. Also a cake boxed up is also a great help for the ladies at immigration. Do not expect any great favors but it does make them remember you and things goes a little easier under the table for those visa runs. I hope you do not mind me to copied this picture to use til I get back to CM.

See if this is spelled correctly. "Eat Shit, then you Aim High"

I've even seen a CM taxi in the Mae Sai area a few times. I figure the fare for that is around 1,000 baht

I'd say close to double that, Ajarn. Fuel's about 700 baht and it's 6/7 hours work for him.

How do they charge? I thought it was something like 3 baht per kilometer? Or is it 4 baht?

About 500 k's up and back.... About 1500-2000 baht, by my guesstimate

Still a lot

I'll take ya' for 1199, thrills included

charin.jpg

Great reply teacher. sure brings back memories of the trip. Sure is the best place for a rest stop some cake and coffee. Also a cake boxed up is also a great help for the ladies at immigration. Do not expect any great favors but it does make them remember you and things goes a little easier under the table for those visa runs. I hope you do not mind me to copied this picture to use til I get back to CM.

As it's been almost a month now since the original posters ordeal at the hands of the public transport services here in the north it must be time to gird the loins and enter the fray again.

A good tip to avoid collapsing on the bus because you have to stand up is "BE EARLY" I can hardly wait for the next installment of this nailbiting adventure.

Perhaps we can sell the film rights Harrison Ford's name springs to mind as the passenger.