Cooking Frozen Meat Pies In A Microwave Oven

davidthai

I havent used a microwave since leaving UK a long time ago , i have just bought a micro as i fancied some meat pies and cornish pasties which i have just bought from a supplier in the North East, can anyone give me details about the best way to cook these , do i cook from frozen or do i defrost first , can someone also advise on buying and using a slow cooker , i have suddenly got the urge for good old english food!

Remove the pie from the plastic and wrap the pie in a paper towel then heat for 3-4 minutes and leave in the microwave for it to cook from its own heat for another 3 minutes or so. This is the way i do it and it seems to work for me .Using the paper towel gives the pie a crispy crust.

• 1 year later...

I microwave them, then fry them (no oil) in the non-stick fry pan. Sounds stupid, but it works. Nice and crisp. Sausage rolls the same.

I agree the microwave then non stick fry pan (on both sides top and bottom) works pretty well, also works for pizza, but just on the bottom of course. But now I have moved up scale I bought a sharp carousel microwave with convection and grill, that is the bomb. 4 mins high microwave, 4 mins top and bottom grill, awesome.

"can someone also advise on buying and using a slow cooker "

Sure, used one for a long time.

All you gotta do, is find the size & price that's right for you (We have a large one, which is great because we freeze at least 1/2 of everythig we make in 2-person serving-size zip-lok bags. In Thailand, you shouldn't have to pay more than 1,000 baht, and that's for a big one. Anyway, then you can google: "slow cooker recipes," or "crock pot recipes;" you'll find hundreds of great ones (and quite a few that sound kinda weird, too...) Great & easy cookin"... hava good time, farang!

B)

post-72929-0-20289500-1305614433_thumb.j

With sausage king pies I put them frozen in the microwave on defrost for 20 minutes. If I am in a hurry I put them in on defrost for 10 min and then on medium until cooked. They come out fairlyu well though a few seconds under the gril will improve the pastry.

Just bought an Electrolux convection oven and it's brilliant, only 10k

is that the eletrolux with the burners on top or only the oven? I saw a few electrolux I wanted but were about 30k so ended up with a cheap one for 10k that isn't too sensitive to temp adjustments.

Ive been using one of those table/work top electric ovens for the past five years, and they are great for pies,roasts etc.....and you can get them for around 1500b, but do make sure you get one with a thermostat and then get used to how accurate the oven temperature is and cook accordingly

Ive been using one of those table/work top electric ovens for the past five years, and they are great for pies,roasts etc.....and you can get them for around 1500b, but do make sure you get one with a thermostat and then get used to how accurate the oven temperature is and cook accordingly

If you try to heat frozen pies in them you have to be very careful as the outside and surrounding meat overcooks while the centre is still not thawed.

If you try to heat frozen pies in them you have to be very careful as the outside and surrounding meat overcooks while the centre is still not thawed.

Sorry i forgot to mention, if i was cooking a pie in one i would either defrost it in the fridge the night before or if i all of a sudden wanted to eat one then i would defrost it in a microwave before crisping up the pastry in the electric oven

Just bought an Electrolux convection oven and it's brilliant, only 10k

is that the eletrolux with the burners on top or only the oven? I saw a few electrolux I wanted but were about 30k so ended up with a cheap one for 10k that isn't too sensitive to temp adjustments.

Haven't seen the one with burners. This a a lovely stainless steel microwave/convection oven. 9,900 baht in all electrical stores

• 4 months later...

Winner! That 20 mins on defrost should be pinned, and rob sausage king should give that instruction with his pies....

With sausage king pies I put them frozen in the microwave on defrost for 20 minutes. If I am in a hurry I put them in on defrost for 10 min and then on medium until cooked. They come out fairlyu well though a few seconds under the gril will improve the pastry.