Living In Phuket Vs. Pattaya

Bel Mondo

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced living in either Pattaya or Phuket for a year or more and then moving to one or the other location.

If so, what would you consider to be the main differences within the context of lifestyle such as -- cost of living, home/condo prices, medical care, dining, business operation, etc.

I have viewed both the Pattaya and Phuket forums regularly and see that both locations have its unique problems such as crime, transportation issues, etc. just like any place in the world when viewed as a resident versus a tourist.

Just interested in your comments. There are no better insights than those coming from people who have to live in a place on a day-to-day basis.

I have lived on Phuket over 3 years total, visited Pattaya a few times.

As far as cost, homes, infrastructure, medical, shopping, dinning, and general services, I think they are fairly comparable to each other. Two major differences are apparent to me are:

1) Phuket has more "nature." There are some stunning vistas and beautiful places to visit during the day. Quiet, uncluttered, out of the way beaches. I don't see that in Pattaya.

2) The diving (I need to be careful here as I keep getting in trouble on this one) would be considered by most to be a better in the Andaman than the Gulf of Thailand, with clearer water and more biodiversity, particularly around Phi Phi. Irrelevant if you're not a diver.

I tend to think of Phuket's Patong Beach as equivalent to most of Pattaya. Crowded, dirty, smelly tourist area's full of locals trying to rip you off. There is sooo much more to Phuket than just Patong. Maybe some Pattaya residents can chime in and correct me, but I don't think there is anything like teh relative tranquility of Rawaii or Naiharn in Pattaya.

One big bonus for Pattaya is Bangkok is just an hour and a half away, if you need or want to go there often. It would be nice if Phuket were about 3 hours away instead of 8.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I tend to think of Phuket's Patong Beach as equivalent to most of Pattaya.

Although Patong/Bangla is the closest thing phuket has to Pattaya, I don't think it's fair to say they are the same. For example, I would happily bring my family, mother, aunts, sister etc. down Soi Bangla, to show them the naughtier side of Thailand. I would never dream of taking them to Pattaya, where naughtiness is replaced by depravity.

As far as day to day living costs, I would have thought not a great deal in it. I would guess, like for like, property would be a bit cheaper in Pattaya. But as places to live, things to see and do, restaurants, leisure activities, offshore islands to visit etc, and as mentioned before, geographical beauty, for me they are simply incomparable.

Although Patong/Bangla is the closest thing phuket has to Pattaya, I don't think it's fair to say they are the same. For example, I would happily bring my family, mother, aunts, sister etc. down Soi Bangla, to show them the naughtier side of Thailand. I would never dream of taking them to Pattaya, where naughtiness is replaced by depravity.

As far as day to day living costs, I would have thought not a great deal in it. I would guess, like for like, property would be a bit cheaper in Pattaya. But as places to live, things to see and do, restaurants, leisure activities, offshore islands to visit etc, and as mentioned before, geographical beauty, for me they are simply incomparable.

Patong Jomtien pattaya, the same. apart from the quality of the sea water.

Edited by plasticpig

I lived in Phuket for about 4 years, then relocated to Pattaya for a software contract, soon to relocate to another place...

The pros and cons really depend on what type of person you are and what you are after :)

I'm not a sex-tourist. Nor am I more than 90 years old. Nor do I speak Russian. For those reasons (and more), I cannot wait to leave Pattaya! Sorry Pattaya people, but that city is a total cesspit... My partner (who is an educated 30's something woman) cannot even go to the 7/11 without farangs trying to chat her up. As for me, my early morning jogging is interrupted by cat-calls from the ladyboys who inhabit the area.

The good points in Pattaya (there are a few), would seem to be the large choice of restaurants and the cheap Baht bus system, (if you have no car or motorbike).

One important point about the two locations is the main Pattaya private hospital (BPH) has a confirmed reputation of demanding cash in advance, even if you have 5 star medical cover. I have never heard of sumilar issues with Phuket International Hospital. It is a very important point to bear in mind because fully-insured people have died after being refused treatment by BPH.

Condos? I'm sure Pattaya is cheaper. I probably have the cheapest 64 square meter condo with a seaview at 2,500 baht/month!

If you are a single guy and enjoy the company of women (or men) whose only purpose is to prise every last baht out of you whilst claiming to be your everlasting love, then you will like Pattaya. If you are of very advanced years, then you will feel at home in that city.

Given a choice between living in Phuket or Pattaya, I would choose the former, even with all the recently-reported problems. I have a car, so do not need to use the mafia transport system.

Simon

People are on the forums seem to take pleasure in badmouthing Pattaya. Not that there isn't a lot to badmouth about. But... There is a lot of decent people living there. Who do their best to live "decent, normal, lives". During my six years in Jomtien, I was a member of the Rotary Club and a fraternal organization ( http://www.pattayamail.com/clubsinpattaya/ ). They are involved a lot of charitable work to this day.

Every year, the "Jesters Care for Kids Charity", http://www.care4kids.info/, raises millions of baht for underprivileged children.

I don't see this happening a lot in Phuket...but, all I have to go on is what I read here on TV and the Phuket Gazette. Perhaps, there is just as much community involvement in Phuket?

Point being, not all Pattaya people are there for the "depravity".

On the subject of aesthetic beauty...Pattaya/Jomtien isn't in the same league as Phuket. It's not even fair to try and compare them. Pattaya is a aesthetically deprived area.

I lived in Phuket for about 4 years, then relocated to Pattaya for a software contract, soon to relocate to another place...

Condos? I'm sure Pattaya is cheaper. I probably have the cheapest 64 square meter condo with a seaview at 2,500 baht/month!

PM me with the details on this condo when you move.

The pros and cons really depend on what type of person you are and what you are after :D

I'm not a sex-tourist. Nor am I more than 90 years old. Nor do I speak Russian. For those reasons (and more), I cannot wait to leave Pattaya! Sorry Pattaya people, but that city is a total cesspit... My partner (who is an educated 30's something woman) cannot even go to the 7/11 without farangs trying to chat her up. As for me, my early morning jogging is interrupted by cat-calls from the ladyboys who inhabit the area.

The good points in Pattaya (there are a few), would seem to be the large choice of restaurants and the cheap Baht bus system, (if you have no car or motorbike).

One important point about the two locations is the main Pattaya private hospital (BPH) has a confirmed reputation of demanding cash in advance, even if you have 5 star medical cover. I have never heard of sumilar issues with Phuket International Hospital. It is a very important point to bear in mind because fully-insured people have died after being refused treatment by BPH.

If you are a single guy and enjoy the company of women (or men) whose only purpose is to prise every last baht out of you whilst claiming to be your everlasting love, then you will like Pattaya. If you are of very advanced years, then you will feel at home in that city.

Given a choice between living in Phuket or Pattaya, I would choose the former, even with all the recently-reported problems. I have a car, so do not need to use the mafia transport system.

Simon

So you are like most Thais, you are only in pattaya for the money, not to spend it like all the others you so quickly trash!!!!!!!

Money number one, Simon.

As for that stuff about the 7-11 and your lady, give over. men are men, is there only one place you pick women in pattaya a bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very insulting to all. my wife got picked up by me in department store. does that make me a bad guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think pattaya will be better off with out your kind. :)

Edited by plasticpig

Of course this is posted in the Phuket forum and everybody there think their place is so much better. What you should understand is that Pattaya is a much bigger city than Phuket. Most tourist only see the coastal area - beach road, 2nd road and perhaps if they are really adventureous they might see 3rd road. Check a city map of Pattaya to get oriented if you are not familiar with this city, there is one pinned in the Pattaya forum. Many of those of us who live here live on "the dark side", i.e. on the east side of Sukhumvit road and rarely pass 3rd road from inland. What I'm saying is you can easily live in Pattaya and live in the "cesspit" but you can just as easily live in an area that never see more filth than any other place in Thailand. Things are not just black and white.

People are on the forums seem to take pleasure in badmouthing Pattaya. Not that there isn't a lot to badmouth about. But... There is a lot of decent people living there. Who do their best to live "decent, normal, lives". During my six years in Jomtien, I was a member of the Rotary Club and a fraternal organization ( http://www.pattayamail.com/clubsinpattaya/ ). They are involved a lot of charitable work to this day.

Every year, the "Jesters Care for Kids Charity", http://www.care4kids.info/, raises millions of baht for underprivileged children.

I don't see this happening a lot in Phuket...but, all I have to go on is what I read here on TV and the Phuket Gazette. Perhaps, there is just as much community involvement in Phuket?

Point being, not all Pattaya people are there for the "depravity".

On the subject of aesthetic beauty...Pattaya/Jomtien isn't in the same league as Phuket. It's not even fair to try and compare them. Pattaya is a aesthetically deprived area.

That is a fair post 'maxjay' (and Phil Conners) It is stupid to assume that everybody in and around Pattaya is a bad person. What I have always found strange though, is with the whole of Thailand to choose from, why would decent folk like yourself settle so close to such an infamously vile place. I honestly think it would trouble me just knowing how close it was, even if I never went there.

I think that is what 'Simon43' meant by being 90 or a sex pat. It seems to me, if you are not the latter, there is not a great deal in the way of entertainment.

That is a fair post 'maxjay' (and Phil Conners) It is stupid to assume that everybody in and around Pattaya is a bad person. What I have always found strange though, is with the whole of Thailand to choose from, why would decent folk like yourself settle so close to such an infamously vile place. I honestly think it would trouble me just knowing how close it was, even if I never went there.

Easy: Infrastructure. It has decent schools for our kids, hospitals for our health, close to Swampy airport, lots and lots of shops, malls, restaurants and whatever else you could require. The only other place in Thailand you will find all this is in Bangkok - and that's just too much of a big city, at least for me. As for the negatives such as the bahtbus mafia, most of us who live here have our own transportation so never have to face that.

So you are like most Thais, you are only in pattaya for the money, not to spend it like all the others you so quickly trash!!!!!!!

Money number one, Simon.

As for that stuff about the 7-11 and your lady, give over. men are men, is there only one place you pick women in pattaya a bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very insulting to all. my wife got picked up by me in department store. does that make me a bad guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have taken Simon's post incorrectly, don't take it so personally. I think he is just relating his experiences more than he intends on bashing.

What' s the view at patong beach, nothing special, at all.

Compared to what and where? There are some spectacular sunsets over Patong bay and the contrast of colours between the water and the deep greens of the hillsides can be extremely pleasant. Sorry, but I think the view is quiet special but again, it's a question of what it's being compared to - if you're suggesting that the view of the ocean from Beach Road in Pattaya is nicer then I suggest you compare again.

Stick with what i said

Patong nothing special, the rest of Phuket very nice.

Had a holiday home in Krabi for the last 5 years, thats the place i like.

Up To You.

But like i said Patong / Jomtien, abouit the same.

i know both places well.

Edited by plasticpig

Easy: Infrastructure. It has decent schools for our kids, hospitals for our health, close to Swampy airport, lots and lots of shops, malls, restaurants and whatever else you could require. The only other place in Thailand you will find all this is in Bangkok - and that's just too much of a big city, at least for me. As for the negatives such as the bahtbus mafia, most of us who live here have our own transportation so never have to face that.

I forgot to mention, even the red-light area of Pattaya is not nearly as bad as some people and the press wants it to appear.

Probably a bit lopsided to compare the City of Pattaya to the 543 square kilometre Island of Phuket as a place to live.

With mountains, multiple beaches and many different towns and areas to choose from in Phuket (not to mention nearby and offshore attractions), for most it would not be a reasonable comparison.

Better perhaps to just compare Patong vs Pattaya.

Really? I was on walking street in Pattaya last week and was a bit suprised to see loads of families with kids about, same as Bangla Rd., and I'm not talking about the flower children.

Personally, I don't think I would take children to either.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I forgot to mention, even the red-light area of Pattaya is not nearly as bad as some people and the press wants it to appear.

Sorry but thats just not true IMO !!

Soi 6 in Patts and I am struggling to think of an equal anywhere in the world ? Maybe the perimeter bars in Angelese but even then.. It IS every bit as 'bad' as its presented.. And why so many go back time and again.

The pros and cons really depend on what type of person you are and what you are after :D

Simon

Money number one, Simon.

Very good post,Simon must be living in a cess pit at 2,500 baht a month,and how can an educated 30,s lady want to stop with you cheap charlie.There are many area of Pattaya that is NOT cess pit so get out man,open your eyes and dont be silly

Sorry but thats just not true IMO !!

Soi 6 in Patts and I am struggling to think of an equal anywhere in the world ? Maybe the perimeter bars in Angelese but even then.. It IS every bit as 'bad' as its presented.. And why so many go back time and again.

Ok you got me with that, but it's only ONE soi of how many in Pattaya?

Ok you got me with that, but it's only ONE soi of how many in Pattaya?

Yes but it IS there.. And its pretty much the worlds worst.. How can you not expect a bit of media titillation and sensationalism over the worlds most out there / visible / well known prostitution market ??

I am no moralist, and am not trying to get on a high horse, but Pattaya simply by hosting that kind of location does get a tarred by association kind of thing. I am sure theres some great normal people there (working I presume) but it is a reality that people choosing to live there often are doing so for that very kind of depravity. Not all of course, but many.

I'm certainly not a moralist, nor have I ever been to Pattaya. However, a few months ago a became friends with a French yachtsman, who arrived in Thailand having sailed from France. At the beginning of this year, he bought an apartment in Jomtien, then returned to France to plan his voyage and complete his affairs in France.

I met him when he first set foot ashore in Phuket, and his initial plan was to continue his journey and make passage through the Malacca Straits, and onto the Gulf of Thailand. He spent literally hours here before deciding that if he wanted to enjoy sailing, Phuket was the place, not Pattaya/Jomtien. So what's that go to do with anything?

He then resourced repairs to his boat, found a safe, free (Chalong Bay) anchorage, brought his long term girlfriend to Phuket, and he's currently here supervising the repairs. He and his girlfriend (and she'd never been to Phuket before) are amazed at the variety of shopping, services, culture, scenery, etc etc. It's got to the point now that he's far more comfortable in Phuket than he ever was in Jomtien (his words). It's the diversity of Phuket, and all of the options of whatever lifestyle you wish to pursue, that is the clincher in the balance of opinion. Pattaya/Jomtien is limited, and quoting my friend, is good for an early morning jog along the beach (though he wouldn't do it at any other time), and some decent restaurants. Pattaya could only ever be compared with Patong, not Phuket province, and whilst it may have the advantage of a 3 hour drive to BKK, that's still more than the multitude of 1.5 hour flights that leave continually from Phuket to BKK everyday, with typically a 45 minute drive to HKT.

Horses for courses.

• 6 months later...

Of course this is posted in the Phuket forum and everybody there think their place is so much better. What you should understand is that Pattaya is a much bigger city than Phuket. Most tourist only see the coastal area - beach road, 2nd road and perhaps if they are really adventureous they might see 3rd road. Check a city map of Pattaya to get oriented if you are not familiar with this city, there is one pinned in the Pattaya forum. Many of those of us who live here live on "the dark side", i.e. on the east side of Sukhumvit road and rarely pass 3rd road from inland. What I'm saying is you can easily live in Pattaya and live in the "cesspit" but you can just as easily live in an area that never see more filth than any other place in Thailand. Things are not just black and white.

very interesting thread this as i am thinking of moving to Phuket but want to be sure i'm not overlooking somewhere else.

i know Pattaya is far cheaper and has more infrastructure than Phuket, but i like nature, green, mountains, etc. but have access to shopping and nighlife when i want it.

how would you compare somewhere like Rawai to an equivalent part of Pattaya?

""On the subject of aesthetic beauty...Pattaya/Jomtien isn't in the same league as Phuket. It's not even fair to try and compare them. Pattaya is a aesthetically deprived area.

That is a fair post 'maxjay' (and Phil Conners) It is stupid to assume that everybody in and around Pattaya is a bad person. What I have always found strange though, is with the whole of Thailand to choose from, why would decent folk like yourself settle so close to such an infamously vile place. I honestly think it would trouble me just knowing how close it was, even if I never went there."""

sorry deleted the rest of the quote........

I guess what a lot of people do not understand is that there is a massive amount of industry in Chonburi and Rayong, with industrial estates stretching for many km's. There are a lot of expats, relocated by multinational companies (car industry / oil and gas) who live in the same area for convenience. These are normal families, earning a very good living and Pattaya happens to be the only area which can offer them the facilites which they require.

I would suggest that if you look under the surface (main tourist area) you would easily find more "normal, funtional" families in Pattaya than Phuket. I would guess out of the 70k+ supposed expats in Pattaya that there are 20k+ (Western + Asian) who have a very nice lifestyle and would never even know about the "other" side of the place.

Edited by changnaam

I would guess out of the 70k+ supposed expats in Pattaya that there are 20k+ (Western + Asian) who have a very nice lifestyle and would never even know about the "other" side of the place.
So you're saying 50k, or over 70%, of the expats living in the Pattaya area are crooks?

So you're saying 50k, or over 70%, of the expats living in the Pattaya area are crooks?

Nah dude, you got the wrong end of the stick.

I would say 20k plus are expats sent here by their co on expat contracts (and I am talking about Asian expats as well - Japanese, Korean, Philipino etc). The rest I would say are made up of retirees, business owners, long staying tourists etc etc.

There is, in my opinion very little understanding in Phuket of what makes up the demographics of expats in Pattaya and that was the point I was making.

i've being looking up houses for sale in the two P towns, and i have to say, Phuket isn't that expensive. you can find a nice 3 bedroom, 150m2 house on 300+m2 land in Rawai of Chalong with mountain views for less than 5 million (not much less)

a similar size place but no view in East Pattaya seems to cost the same but man, are they UGLY. at least in Phuket you can walk out of the house and see nature and beaches in 2 minutes.