Queen Sirikit Military Hospital Sattahip.

pop3

Thanks everybody for the very very good advice, Tammi thanks for the offer and yes I am doing all this alone (not easy as I get the impression some of the staff in that hospital are not too happy about falang being there

The above quote is from a 2007 post about the Queen sirikit military hospital Sattahip

My experience was the same back then that they did not want farang in there. does anybody know if the situation has changed since then ?   :)

I have a friend who is a doctor there and he just told me there is discussion about a two-tier pricing scheme, one price for Thai and another for farang. He thinks this will eventually happen but needs to be approved at various levels of military and government which will take time.

I have a friend who is a doctor there and he just told me there is discussion about a two-tier pricing scheme, one price for Thai and another for farang. He thinks this will eventually happen but needs to be approved at various levels of military and government which will take time.

Well no surprise to hear that. it would seem that is their answer to not wanting us there ?

A Farang mate of mine was treated there for heart problems and he reckons they were great with him although they did not have all the necessary tehnology and had to refer him on.

I've also received minor treatment there under the Thai Social Security scheme with no adverse treatment.

I also know one Farang that was turned away by them though.

Edited by PattayaParent

I was there for two weeks. Burst appendix. It burst while I was waiting for treatment, 6 hours. They did not like me there. Thought I was from Pattaya even though I had friends at the hospital and nurses who worked at the hospital. Treatment was a bit rough. Got a rash on my back from the bed that I had to go to another hospital to have cured. But I didn't die.

Queen Sirikit already has a dual pricing system in place for OPD.

30 baht for Thai and 200 baht for farangs as written on a sign on the walls

Maybe this new system will be across the board for all services and meds.

Yes, the 200 baht is a general service charge. Also, foreigners now pay 50% more than Thai for medical services. Still relatively cheap. As Sirikit is a tax-supported military hsp, the extra charge is somewhat defensible. Also, the charge isn't implemented on a purely racial basis, a most annoying aspect of Thai dual pricing. Identities are of course actually verified when the hsp card is issued.

I haven't heard of such charges being imposed in other government hsps. You can consider those in Siricha and Chonburi.

Edited by JSixpack

Yes, the 200 baht is a general service charge. Also, foreigners now pay 50% more than Thai for medical services. Still relatively cheap. As Sirikit is a tax-supported military hsp, the extra charge is somewhat defensible. Also, the charge isn't implemented on a purely racial basis. Identities are of course actually verified when the hsp card is issued.

I haven't heard of such charges being imposed in other government hsps. You can consider those in Siricha and Chonburi.

Do you mean if you have a work permit you are exempt from the surcharge? If not race and nationality, what criteria are used?

Yes, the 200 baht is a general service charge. Also, foreigners now pay 50% more than Thai for medical services. Still relatively cheap. As Sirikit is a tax-supported military hsp, the extra charge is somewhat defensible. Also, the charge isn't implemented on a purely racial basis. Identities are of course actually verified when the hsp card is issued.

Do you mean if you have a work permit you are exempt from the surcharge? If not race and nationality, what criteria are used?

"Foreigner" means "foreigner," work permit or not. The sign doesn't say anything about work permits making you less foreign. Somebody w/ a work permit should try and report back.

You confused me because you said the charges ISN'T implemented based on race. Was that an error?

No, because members of other races who look Thai but not of Thai nationality are similarly charged extra. So it is imposed strictly by proven nationality. Bill Heinecke, of Thai nationality, would not need to pay it though we may assume he'd pay an extra charge for riding on a baht bus.

Edited by JSixpack

Years ago I needed a commercial-divers medical and was referred to this hosp. The physical part of the exam was so thorough it nearly killed me but I passed. (I pity the Thai navy diver who isn't in top shape and takes the same exam).

When I went to pay the cashier she said only ~250 baht for the lab fees--no doctor charge at all. But the doctors would appreciate me giving a short talk about saturation diving to the Navy divers that were at the hospital at the time. I said sure, no problem...

"Foreigner" means "foreigner," work permit or not. The sign doesn't say anything about work permits making you less foreign. Somebody w/ a work permit should try and report back.

I have tried it and my report is post #6

Edited by PattayaParent

I received treatment at Queen Sirikit Hospital for 3 years while I was a resident in Sattahip, I never was a victim of a double pricing system, I paid 20 baht for a doctors consultation, I paid the same price as Thais for medication, I paid 100 baht for blood test to check my medication Therapeutic levels in my blood, I paid 100 baht for Physical therapy,plus a 20 baht doctors consultation fee for each PT visit, for 6 weeks of physical Therapy 3 times a week.

I move out to Central Thailand, and have not gone to the Sattahip hospital for about 5 years.

Even if you were a victim of double pricing paying $6.02 for a hospital visit is a lot cheaper than the private hospitals.

I continue going to military hospitals, and pay 30 baht for doctors consultation, pay the same price as Thais for my medication, I paid 2000 baht for a Treadmill Stress test , Pulmonary Function test , Chest X-rays. and a EKG.

Which I consider extremely inexpensive.

Cheers: :)

Edited by kikoman

Sorry but 5 years ago it was cheaper. They have made a point of telling foreigners the cost is higher to them. Across the board . Doctors fees, lab fees and meds. The costs are nowhere near the private hospital costs such as Bangkok-Pattaya but they are not the same as Thais pay

Yes. I can confirm this as I was there yesterday. they are now asking 500 bht for an EKG.  I told them it is only 450 bht at Bangkok Pattaya. then the price came down to 300 bht.

Another thing I noticed was no matter how early you get there the farang folder is always on the bottom of the pile. 

Sorry but 5 years ago it was cheaper. They have made a point of telling foreigners the cost is higher to them. Across the board . Doctors fees, lab fees and meds. The costs are nowhere near the private hospital costs such as Bangkok-Pattaya but they are not the same as Thais pay

I called the Queen Sirikit Hospital 3 minutes ago, I asked them about Changing in Prices, They replied that they have changed The Doctor Consultation Fee Thais 50 baht, Farangs 200 baht.

I asked them what is the charge for a blood test, to check the Warfarin therapeutic levels in my blood , The test cost 60 baht to all farang or Thais.

No one is forcing you to go to a Thai Hospital, if you are being double charged for services and medication as you say, By all means go to the Hospital in Pattaya.

In Pattaya I was charged 300 to 500 Baht for that very same blood test that cost 60 baht at the hospital.

You would complain about paying $6.00 for a doctors visit. Why do you think you deserve the same price Thais pay for their medical care system, they implemented the system for Thais. You should feel grateful that they offer you the same care at a little higher prices!

This is Thailand If you want Cheap Medical care you play by the Hospitals Rules, or you can take your business elsewhere.

According to the hospital staff, the only change was for doctor consultations.

• Like 1

I called the Queen Sirikit Hospital 3 minutes ago, I asked them about Changing in Prices, They replied that they have changed The Doctor Consultation Fee Thais 50 baht, Farangs 200 baht.

I asked them what is the charge for a blood test, to check the Warfarin therapeutic levels in my blood , The test cost 60 baht to all farang or Thais.

No one is forcing you to go to a Thai Hospital, if you are being double charged for services and medication as you say, By all means go to the Hospital in Pattaya.

In Pattaya I was charged 300 to 500 Baht for that very same blood test that cost 60 baht at the hospital.

You would complain about paying $6.00 for a doctors visit. Why do you think you deserve the same price Thais pay for their medical care system, they implemented the system for Thais. You should feel grateful that they offer you the same care at a little higher prices!

This is Thailand If you want Cheap Medical care you play by the Hospitals Rules, or you can take your business elsewhere.

I do not read here that anyone said they were "double" charging farangs. Only thing I see is that there is a "dual" price structure. One price for Thais and another for foreigners.

I personally am not complaining about this at all and I don't see that I said I was complaining only pointing out this difference in pricing. I will still say that there is a dual price system there.

The OP here was asking about level of care and if the staff gave the impression of not wanting to treat foreigners. The OP said nothing about costs.

I have used the hospital for two years for routine doctor visits and blood work and meds. I never felt like they did not want to treat me and I was treated the same as anyone else who went there. I do not speak or read Thai so I needed my wife to help out most of the time. This is no reflection on the quality of care. They always did a good job in my case. They always made sure when my name/number was called that I knew I was being called up. The doctors I saw were able to speak English enough to make me understand what they were asking and what I wanted. So no problems there. Everyone there was more than helpful.

Again no complaints from me about the care or the costs even if there is a "dual" price it is still a very reasonable cost.

QSH also does accept insurance if you happen to have it. There is a separate check in area for those on any accepted insurance plan.

Probably to cover the additional costs of the English lessons and study of the doctor.

I responded to your statement (quote) "Sorry 5 years ago it was cheaper. They made a point of telling foreigners the cost is higher to them,. Across the board, Doctors fees, Lab fees and meds."

I have gone to Thai Military hospitals for almost 8 years now , still do. I as a long time heart patient have found the "Dual" pricing system, across the board is not factual , the only thing that increased at the hospital I get treatment at is Doctors fee from 30 baht to 60 baht for all patients. The cost to all medical care is the same for everyone.

I received excellent care at Queen Sirikit Hospital, was never treated different than Thai patients,Most of my doctors earned their Medical degrees in the U.S. ,and where very proficient in English. Look at the medical degrees on the wall!

I did refer in my post, not only to your statement, but to another post that stated "Farangs now pay 50% more than Thais for medical services" which I did not indicate that that statement was not included in your post.

I apologise to you for that.

Also for the OPs statement, about the attempted overcharge for an EKG , and that he noticed that the farangs file was always placed at the bottom of the pile, all patients do not see the same doctors, there at the time I was there were at least 10 different clinics and your file is place in the clinic you are going to. So you will notice that people coming in after you may leave before you get seen.

My statement was a general one, I am appalled at the overall anti-Thai attitude that persist throughout the Thai Visa forums membership, that it is one of the rules under which one agreed to comply with as a member of the forum.

One member had an answer deleted and yet, indicated that the increase was,"to cover the additional cost of English lessons and study for Doctors"

TIT the language,used in this country is Thai, Learn it or take an person to interpret for you.

If one dose not like the difference in doctors fees , the service, the medium of communication or what they perceive is a discriminatory attitude by the staff, Go get your medical treatment at another hospital more to your liking!

By the way a neighbor that worked at the hospital was the person who indicated I was eligible for treatment at the hospital.

• Like 1

I don't mind the dual pricing system really - it's an understandable approach to the huge disparity in average incomes

however, i do think the thai system should allow for foreigners who pay tax in thailand and pay SOCSO ( Health , Social Security payments monthly ) to be considered on the thai price as we do pay into the state system already on a monthly basis, indeed I pay a considerable amount more in tax per month than most thais do in many months

ofcourse, some may say well then you can afford it but my point is one of principle, tourists and retirees should pay the higher price as they don't pay into the system but those paying in already to the state should get the thai price -

just my 2 cents worth

If you are registered at the hospital, all that information should be included on you medical card, I would go to the registration office with ,your tax information.

I do not know anything about Thai tax law, but the hospital could answer your concerns, if that qualifies your for the Thai price or not,

Good Luck:

I don't mind the dual pricing system really - it's an understandable approach to the huge disparity in average incomes

however, i do think the thai system should allow for foreigners who pay tax in thailand and pay SOCSO ( Health , Social Security payments monthly ) to be considered on the thai price as we do pay into the state system already on a monthly basis, indeed I pay a considerable amount more in tax per month than most thais do in many months

ofcourse, some may say well then you can afford it but my point is one of principle, tourists and retirees should pay the higher price as they don't pay into the system but those paying in already to the state should get the thai price -

just my 2 cents worth

They do.

And it's free, medicines too.

A Farang mate of mine was treated there for heart problems and he reckons they were great with him although they did not have all the necessary tehnology and had to refer him on.

I've also received minor treatment there under the Thai Social Security scheme with no adverse treatment.

'I also know one Farang that was turned away by them though'

Alcohol poisoning ??

I'm not sure if being told to come back on Monday morning at 7am counts as a legitimate turnaway, but they told me they had too many patients and not enough doctors today, having arrived not long before lunch, mind you. I assume they must close their emergency department on weekends too, which seems a rather advanced sort of system.

Thank goodness for antibiotics across the drugstore counter to fix me up again. :)

Except that actually contributing to the tax system through working here and as well to the economy in a more direct and consistent fashion is regarded differently and takes you out of tourist category and places you more a part of Thai society rather then just a visitor or retiree... There are numerous examples of getting relative discounts due to having local ties such as this, many people do not know for example that their Thai drivers license will get the same sort of treatment without a WP, it has for me on many occasions including picking up money at Western Union and several other local attractions getting local prices but using my passport will not get me discounts like it is used for Western union on the contrary..