'honest' Dentist Sought In Bangkok

jedeye

Greetings all...anybody here know a reliable,honest dental practice/surgeon in BKK-someone who's not going to try & fleece me with unecessary work-which i've had a fair share of ,im sure from dentists in the U.K.... i need 2 amalgam fillings replaced with white composite,preferably at a realistic cost.Any recommendations and/or places to avoid would be appreciated...

thanks for any advice.

Depends where in BKK you are. I live in Nonthaburi and used a nice small dentists place here, the woman spoke English and told me at each stage what she was doing and if it would hurt (extraction), for info it is opposite the Mall Ngamwongwan.

I used a lady dentist with beatifull eyes to have lower dentures made at half the cost others had quoted , never felt a thing when she extracted a few remaining teeth , had these teeth around 8 years now , so comfortable I only take them out to clean them .

Walking past klong Toue market on your left , cross over the major road junction and her soi is off to the left , cannot remember the name , phone # 02-671 2549/9 , hope she is still there for you .

Baan-More-Fun Dental Clinic .8/32

my dentist is by the sirirat hospital, on thonburi - there is a price list displayed in thai and english.

white composite 600-1200.

she has probably fleeced me by 1k and my root canal treatment, but still it's a fraction on London prices. She explains exactly what she is going to do before the treatment. I do feel much more confident with her than with many dentists in the uk.

phone 024124991 - reception opened 10-19, but the dentist is 12-6. Speak good english.

my family goes there as well - all happy

The Phyathai group of Hospitals have quite good dental clinics; you can budget around 10,000 Baht per tooth, with 3 or so visits. The Faculty of Dentistry at Mahidol University, near Victory Monument in KTM has 2 clinics; the waiting list can be a bit long, and the dental services are provided "en masse", so if you value your privacy, it may not be for you. Usually, the government places are cheaper, and therefore more popular--they do not seem to over-treat as much as the private clinics are reputed to do.

As recommended many times here on TV...Dental Hospital Bangkok...it is on Sukhumvit 49..I wouldnt even think of going anywhere else....The quality of care is excellent and the facility as well

I disagree from experience, they are not honest and VERY expensive. They tried to get me to agree to a large amount of work my UK dentist said was not needed. I thought I would try just having one simple front filling done-4 surfaces (how?) and the cost including x rays and consultation was 6,000 baht. As far as I know this makes it, apart form Hospitals the most expensive place in BKK

just returned from the Dental Hospital and the total cost for me and the wife was 7020 baht for an extraction (3000), a filling restoration (1400) and all associated x-rays (full scan fer the wife) and examinations including 270 baht for post op antibiotics and pain killers for the extraction...

can't complain too much but they wanted to pull the wife's tooth instead of doing the restoration but I nixed that...the examinations revealed other, expensive work that will need to be done for both of us but not urgent at the moment...

no way I'd let a UK dentist get near any of the above, even if it was free...worst standard of dental care I've had anywhere in the world, Bolivia and the Middle East included...

your extraction is up to 10 times more expensive, than at the dentist I have mentioned earlier (she charges 300-600, depending of the difficulty) including all (x-rays, a painkiller shot etc, and there is no charge for "consultation" - it's just part of the treatment).

medicines (antibiotics + painkillers), just in case, between the treatments, are optional 100 baht - as I have told her I don't need them she just gave it to me without any charge, to keep me happy or for the future (I had on me only money for the root canal, didn't think about medication).

looks for me, that this hospital is not professional, yet very expensive - but they charge what the market will afford

Edited by londonthai

As recommended many times here on TV...Dental Hospital Bangkok...it is on Sukhumvit 49..I wouldnt even think of going anywhere else....The quality of care is excellent and the facility as well

I disagree from experience, they are not honest and VERY expensive. They tried to get me to agree to a large amount of work my UK dentist said was not needed. I thought I would try just having one simple front filling done-4 surfaces (how?) and the cost including x rays and consultation was 6,000 baht. As far as I know this makes it, apart form Hospitals the most expensive place in BKK

Agree with this post... they push xrays and 'consultations' needlessly. I will say this though to balance the perspective: It is a high standard operation... Clean and organized.

I went for emergency extraction once. The first dentist was young and could not handle some complications that developed. An older and experienced doctor was on hand and finished, though it was difficult. Having said this, it seems everything is in place at the dental hospital for such contingencies. Recommend for emergency care. It is expensive but I am satisfied with the service and results from the experience. I don't recall if prices are readily available in brochures. Certainly those details need to be confirmed before the start of any work.

At other times, they were a pain in the as_s about what I considered add on charges and I did not pay them. As well, I stopped going there. Have found some other dentists that seem to do good work but they are not outstanding and my confidence in them varies.

I selected the Dental Hospital for the extraction as folks on the forum have reviewed their services favorably (except for the cost) and I was worried about infection. The tooth was split and had to be extracted in three bits. It's now 30 hours after the procedure and there is no discomfort (even without the supplied pain killers) and the void has clotted nicely...even had a sandwich this evening, chewing on the other side, of course...

the patient meets initially with a diagnostician and prices can be discussed at that point, afterward you see the actual treatment dentist...I had to psyche meself up to even go in as I am a big sissy with pain (even though the extracted tooth had already had a root canal done in Jeddah and was 'dead') so I just wanted to get the mother over with...I wasn't worried too much about the cost...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Hi, I have and was going through the same concerns and issues.

I broke my tooth in November and thought that I needed a root canal and crown. I kept putting it off as I was worried about the cost and the reputation of the Dentist in Bangkok.

I researched so many Dentists on the inter-net and asked and posted so many questions on this and many other forums.

I finally went to a few Dentists in my area, where I live and made some enquires, the prices all seemed about right.

I finally found and made a decision to go to Bangkok International Dental Center (BIDC). I got a free check-up which I did not have to pay for, the only cost was 150BHT for the x-ray. The Dentist that I saw was very informative, she explained that I only needed a crown, no root canal and explained the process and the costs. She left it up to me to decide what sort of crown I wanted, I went with her recommendations, all up I will cost me 15,000BHT, I plan to get some other little things done while I am getting this done.

I haven't had the procedure done, but am happy to post again in a few weeks when I have had it done. Either way, the cost compared to what it would cost me back home is nothing, as someone said, for the cost associated with the final outcome, better have a good smile than no smile at all…. :)

http://www.bangkokdentalcenter.com/index.htm

Edited by POAK

02 261 9119-20-------Dr. Pongkarn at Dental Design, Asoke. Saved me money and pain and worry. Countered the estimate of work targets by another dentist by deleting 75% of the recommendations. Excellent work. Another example of some of the wonderful people in Thailand!

I used Pratunam Dental Clinic in Ratchatawee Road Bangkok, opposit the 7/11 and under the overhead walkway. Forget all the crap most of the old timers on here tell you. Bangkok Dental Hospital i outrageous, as too are places like Bangkok Smile, Dr. whoever with his limo pick-up, etc.

There are a few dental practices on Ratchatawee Road and the prices are similar.

Root canal varies but mine for an upper was Bt3,000, a pin was Bt1,500 and a crown was Bt3,800, 8,000 or 10,000 depending on what material you wanted as the base. An x-ray was Bt100.

I'm really tired of seeing the crap posted on this forum (especially the Chiang Mai section) about certain dental practices when the prices are equated with UK or US prices. Bangkok Dental Hospital quoted me Bt5,000 for a temporary plate and the same plate was made in Chiang Mai for Bt900.

Totally ignore the condescending reply of people such as ericg1953 and comments such as "As recommended many times here" and "I wouldnt even think of going anywhere else". With an attitude like that, he really wouldn't know who was doing what for what price.

Same goes for tutsiwarrior. Bt270 for a course of antibiotics? When a course of antibiotics and pain killers, even direct from a pharmacy cost less than Bt150? That says it all.

My local little dentist can't do implants, but fillings, crowns, etc are all in her scope. She goes to great lengths to explain each step and the root canal I had done there was absolutely painless and completed perfectly in one step- though she did check it another time. She also seems to somewhat of a perfectionist.

• Like 1

I've been going to Khun Narong Athinantanakorn at Verizon Dental Clinic, 128 Silom Soi 6, Silom Road Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, tel 02 233 5515 17, [email protected] for a good few years now. He's US trained and speaks perfect English. The clinic is superbly equipped, far better than my clinic in the UK. I've had most things done up to and including a gold cap. Price is substantially less than the UK - you can almost justify the flight out and back on the saving! He also practices at one of the big dental hospitals so you will need an appointment - but that shouldn't be longer than a days wait. Substantially more expensive than an up-country Thai clinic, but worth every penny in my view.

Chris

wonderful discussion!...good to hear that there are TV member certified alternatives to the much heralded (but expensive) Bangkok Dental Hospital; I'll probably look for treatment elsewhere in the future based upon these reports...

however, I must remark that as we all agree that all dental care in Thailand is significantly less expensive than in the west (even with the most expensive local scenario) some of the posts on this thread resemble a bunch of backpackers discussing the price of a pepsi: 'got it fer 5 satang less than yew, mate...chortle, chortle' :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

wonderful discussion!...good to hear that there are TV member certified alternatives to the much heralded (but expensive) Bangkok Dental Hospital; I'll probably look for treatment elsewhere in the future based upon these reports...

however, I must remark that as we all agree that all dental care in Thailand is significantly less expensive than in the west (even with the most expensive local scenario) some of the posts on this thread resemble a bunch of backpackers discussing the price of a pepsi: 'got it fer 5 satang less than yew, mate...chortle, chortle' :)

whoops...meant to say the Dental Hospital on Suk Soi 49 in BKK...'Bangkok Dental Hospital' is a separate entity...

These are wonderful resources and recommendations for basic dental work. I'm not the OP, but could anyone recommend places for major dental work? specifically a dental implant or a bridge? Bangkok or Chiang Mai would be preferred... Thanks in advance.

I got 3 root canals and a crown done in Bangkok, I was going to get all 3 crowns done but then I had to leave and eventually had the other 2 done in Turkey.

I went to 2 different dentists on Thanon Chan, near the intersection with Soi St Louis and both were good. I paid about 5000 for each tooth done, and it was about 14k for the one with the crown. In Turkey each crown was 200 Euro, (about 10k baht) so it seems that Turkish dentistry is the same price as Thai.

I actually felt that the treatment in Turkey was better, but I have no complaints about the Thai either.

I also went to BNH for my daughter, but they tried to do a whole lot of unnecessary treatment (evidenced by the fact that 4 years later she has not had any problems and her baby teeth - that they wanted to treat - are starting to fall out naturally now! )

just returned from the Dental Hospital and the total cost for me and the wife was 7020 baht for an extraction (3000), a filling restoration (1400) and all associated x-rays (full scan fer the wife) and examinations including 270 baht for post op antibiotics and pain killers for the extraction...

can't complain too much but they wanted to pull the wife's tooth instead of doing the restoration but I nixed that...the examinations revealed other, expensive work that will need to be done for both of us but not urgent at the moment...

no way I'd let a UK dentist get near any of the above, even if it was free...worst standard of dental care I've had anywhere in the world, Bolivia and the Middle East included...

3,000 for an extraction? wow.

Silom Dental, who advertise on the net a lot & whose prices it seems are definately aimed at farangs: extraction 1,000

Mahidol University: extraction 350 bht coloured fillings 400 - 1100

However, maybe your 3,000 bht extraction was a surgical extraction of an impacted tooth?

Silom have quoted me the following, (after consultation) what do you think?

2 x root canal, (@12,000) new post (6,000) & crown (15,000) = 66,000

1 x crown 15,000

3 x extraction @ 1,000 = 3,000

Total: 84,000

Edited by Lancashirelad

Not ALL dental care. Implants are roughly the same price as the UK. Much cheaper in Hungary.

Agree more routine stuff is cheaper.

I used Pratunam Dental Clinic in Ratchatawee Road Bangkok, opposit the 7/11 and under the overhead walkway. Forget all the crap most of the old timers on here tell you. Bangkok Dental Hospital i outrageous, as too are places like Bangkok Smile, Dr. whoever with his limo pick-up, etc.

There are a few dental practices on Ratchatawee Road and the prices are similar.

Root canal varies but mine for an upper was Bt3,000, a pin was Bt1,500 and a crown was Bt3,800, 8,000 or 10,000 depending on what material you wanted as the base. An x-ray was Bt100.

I'm really tired of seeing the crap posted on this forum (especially the Chiang Mai section) about certain dental practices when the prices are equated with UK or US prices. Bangkok Dental Hospital quoted me Bt5,000 for a temporary plate and the same plate was made in Chiang Mai for Bt900.

Totally ignore the condescending reply of people such as ericg1953 and comments such as "As recommended many times here" and "I wouldnt even think of going anywhere else". With an attitude like that, he really wouldn't know who was doing what for what price.

Same goes for tutsiwarrior. Bt270 for a course of antibiotics? When a course of antibiotics and pain killers, even direct from a pharmacy cost less than Bt150? That says it all.

My local little dentist can't do implants, but fillings, crowns, etc are all in her scope. She goes to great lengths to explain each step and the root canal I had done there was absolutely painless and completed perfectly in one step- though she did check it another time. She also seems to somewhat of a perfectionist.

My comments are based on my experiences at DentalHospital which have been excellent. I have had about 5 fillings done there as well as a gold onlay. The fees were 1000 baht for each filling which I thought was very fair. I have never been pushed for xrays or exams there, in fact it was the opposite as the dentist told me to hold off on work another dentist said needed to be done now. My father was a dentist who then became an endodontist and then taught at the University, so I have a fairly good feel for good work.

no hesitation to recommend you to go to www.Vejthani.com Hospital in Lad Phrao road absolutely reliable and fair prices indeed. It is in Bangkapi area BANGKOK not far from The Mall just go there and have an appointment with one of their dentists.

They are very professional and my favorite private hospital I do rely on for all our family health hazards or troubles. Cheers, Brd

3,000 for an extraction? wow.

Silom Dental, who advertise on the net a lot & whose prices it seems are definately aimed at farangs: extraction 1,000

Mahidol University: extraction 350 bht coloured fillings 400 - 1100

However, maybe your 3,000 bht extraction was a surgical extraction of an impacted tooth?

Silom have quoted me the following, (after consultation) what do you think?

2 x root canal, (@12,000) new post (6,000) & crown (15,000) = 66,000

1 x crown 15,000

3 x extraction @ 1,000 = 3,000

Total: 84,000

on the invoice it said 'surgical removal of erupted tooth' so maybe not a straightforward extraction procedure...sure did hurt like they wuz pullin' teeth though...

the tooth was basically a stump; had a root canal done but did not follow with a crown and the tooth just deteriorated...then another dentist said that the tooth had split and required removal...didn't wanna believe him but recently the gum around the tooth became inflamed with a lot of discomfort so I figured then that it had to go...

anyone see the Les Blank documentary 'Always for Pleasure'?...featured a cajun good 'ol boy and a DIY extraction; bottle of liquor and a pair of pliers done by himself in his back yard with no assistance...can't beat the price :)

• 2 months later...

I used Pratunam Dental Clinic in Ratchatawee Road Bangkok, opposit the 7/11 and under the overhead walkway. \

PLEASE HELP with directions - can't find Ratchatawee Road on Google maps - do you mean the road that the BTS is on???????? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
however, I must remark that as we all agree that all dental care in Thailand is significantly less expensive than in the west (even with the most expensive local scenario)

This is not true for one simple reason - most people have dental insurance. My after insurance price is lower in the US and this is the case for vast majority of people. US prices are only higher for a small faction of people who are unemployed or uninsured (usually very bottom skill jobs or part time jobs.)

Edited by witold

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, londonthai. Since I'm working near Sriraj, I may like to give the dentist a try. Just want to check with you a couple of questions:

1. So is this clinic has only one dentist? Do you have the name of your dentist?

Thanks

taktsai

my dentist is by the sirirat hospital, on thonburi - there is a price list displayed in thai and english.

white composite 600-1200.

she has probably fleeced me by 1k and my root canal treatment, but still it's a fraction on London prices. She explains exactly what she is going to do before the treatment. I do feel much more confident with her than with many dentists in the uk.

phone 024124991 - reception opened 10-19, but the dentist is 12-6. Speak good english.

my family goes there as well - all happy

I would recommend to NEVER GO TO RATCHADA DENTAL CLINIC

During the treatment (braces for my girlfriend) the price kept on changing from 39K baht to more than 50K !!! The initial treatment was also elongated as at first it was agreed that she would wear braces for a period of 1.5 years to 2 years maximum, but was at the end changed to 2.5 years !

They also removed 7 teeth without even warning her, she just came in for a consultation and they tranquilized her and removed 4 teeth once and 3 the next time including one canine tooth. They never told us that she would have to remove 7 teeth and at the end we just had to pay because it was already done !

The story doesn't end here. Today I went there to discuss why was the price rising up like this (from 39K to 45+K). On the history of my GF it wasn't written the original price.Also the name of the dentist wasn't written too. The secretary was very "Jay Ron" and begin to yell at me for exposing her mistakes to other clients. She told me I had to leave the place now. I told her the only thing I wanted is an appointment with the dentist so we could talk about that. She told me if I don't leave the place now SHE WOULD CALL THE POLICE ! I wonder what kind of service is this ! After investing money in this place that's what I get !

SO DON"T GO THERE PLEASE!

Instead, I would suggest going to Paolo Siam Hospital on Lad Prao, where I have the social security. I had my wisdom teeth removed there and everything was fine. They try to make is as cheap as possible ( one tooth required surgical removal = 2800Baht ) and the doctor explains a lot and is very soft when removing the tooth.

Edited by Sheryl
url removed