Samsung Plasma 50"

John 1

Guys I've looked at and researched what I can on Samsung plasma 850 and 650 series both 50" they seem nearly identical except the 850 is thinner but the price is 60,000btu against 90,000bt. any comments welcome as I was going to order to-day.

I would discourage you from buying a "plasma" TV. I think they are going "by the wayside". They won't be available much longer.

Why? Because they are energy inefficient and not as good as the LCDs. Do your own research comparing Plasma and LCD tvs.

Also, have you seen the new LED tvs that just came out. Samsung and LG make one. Go check them out. They're expensive right now, but in a year or so, they'll come down in price.

I would discourage you from buying a "plasma" TV. I think they are going "by the wayside". They won't be available much longer.

Why? Because they are energy inefficient and not as good as the LCDs. Do your own research comparing Plasma and LCD tvs.

Also, have you seen the new LED tvs that just came out. Samsung and LG make one. Go check them out. They're expensive right now, but in a year or so, they'll come down in price.

I'm aware that differing opinions exist, but I still think that plasma panels look better than LCD and LED panels.

Nothing is better than the new L E D TVs. If you have a Siam TV store around, go there and get the expert in the TV department to enlighten you about the various pros and cons of each.

The plasmas give off extreme heat and are not energy efficient.

Do some google searches and compare opinions of plasma vs LCD.

Nothing is better than the new L E D TVs. If you have a Siam TV store around, go there and get the expert in the TV department to enlighten you about the various pros and cons of each.

The plasmas give off extreme heat and are not energy efficient.

Do some google searches and compare opinions of plasma vs LCD.

Thank you for assuming that my opinion is based upon ignorance.

ordered the Samsung 50" plasma ps50b650s price 60,000bt, a few free items camera st550 home theater ht-x720t plus a dvd player p390k so overall should be ok. only problem have to wait 10days for the TV no stock which is no big deal.€

• 3 weeks later...

Plasmas still have better black levels, and better viewing angles.

The biggest issue is to be sure it's actually a proper 1920x1080 panel, rather than a 1024x768 panel. (at least if you have any high-def sources).

Edited by bkk_mike

LED does seem to be the way of the future.

Yes - but the long term isn't with LED as backlight to an LCD set.

Proper OLED displays using different colour LEDs, if they can ever get the prices down, will have viewing angles like plasma, and be thinner and more energy efficient than LCD.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Plasma 42", not perfect but good colours and contrast, fine for watching sports and movies although some ghosting on close-ups of faces in movies. Running costs are higher than with an LCD but in the main it is down to personal preference and cost. If you can afford the best then I assume that LED is the way to go as it is the latest and looks better than either LCD or Plasma.

For me it is all about getting the best value for acceptable quality at the time I want to buy. That means not buying the latest gimmick as the price will inevitably fall drastically over the next few months, even then today's latest product will have been superseded by its next incarnation and so the commercial spiral will continue.

Unless you have bottomless pockets that you are prepared to have constantly lightened by frequent updating it is a matter of selecting a model you like for a price you can afford and then don't look too much until the time comes to replace it. Even with my Plasma the price dropped 6000 Baht the week after I bought it......with electronics it seems there is never a right time to buy!

I purchased a Samsung 40" LCD a few months ago.

Out of the box the picture was very disappointing.

I had to find a web site where they had reviewed the model and which gave a list of settings

that they arrived at after calibration.

Using that as a starting point I now have a decent picture.