"nothing In This World Is Free, Lad"

KevinHunt

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the wifi is faster than the service. My BLT took over a 45 minutes to arrive, despite there were less than 10 people in the restaurant, and it arrived cold.

The coffee tasted awful, served without milk/creamer, which i had to ask for... The Old Thai lady who appeared to be running the show constantly complained about how busy she was (10 customers in the bar - of which they had all already been served!!!) and then proceeded to mutter some pretty insulting Thai swear words when i reminded her i was still waiting for my sandwich 45 minutes after ordering it. I guess she didn't realize i speak pretty good Thai :)

This was just after Christmas 2009, and to be frank, i've had better service and better food at the McDonalds across the street.

Maybe next time i will choose a different venue for my mid-day breakfast!

I have to agree it is not a very good place in CM very rude people working there, will never go back. I think the best bars and social area in chiangmai is in the vicinty Carefore an absolutly great little area very friendly people in all establishments.

Hope the wifi is faster than the service. My BLT took over a 45 minutes to arrive, despite there were less than 10 people in the restaurant, and it arrived cold.

The coffee tasted awful, served without milk/creamer, which i had to ask for... The Old Thai lady who appeared to be running the show constantly complained about how busy she was (10 customers in the bar - of which they had all already been served!!!) and then proceeded to mutter some pretty insulting Thai swear words when i reminded her i was still waiting for my sandwich 45 minutes after ordering it. I guess she didn't realize i speak pretty good Thai :)

This was just after Christmas 2009, and to be frank, i've had better service and better food at the McDonalds across the street.

I have to agree it is not a very good place in CM very rude people working there, will never go back. I think the best bars and social area in chiangmai is in the vicinty Carefore an absolutly great little area very friendly people in all establishments.

An interesting post that, to be honest, I don't quite understand. If you had a problem with one of the staff, I might believe it (maybe they were having a 'bad' day), but 'very rude people' suggests more than one. As I have said before, we have comment sheets on every table and if there is one comment that is most common it would be 'Very good, friendly staff'. I reckon 90% of comments say that. Not much I can do, but say sorry for your bad experience. I addressed Wolfie's problem already.

Well, I usually bodyswerve any farang-type bars and restaurants when I'm in Thailand (or most other countries), but next time I'm in CM I will have to go to the Red Lion to see what all the fuss is about!

The wife usually drags me into Gullivers in BKK, which I hate, although it's a bit more comfortable than the typical Thai bar.

I do miss a good BLT though, and if your cheese is not that processed s*** then I'd be happy regardless of whether it was melted or not!

I'll bring a pen to write down my comments! :)

An interesting post that, to be honest, I don't quite understand. If you had a problem with one of the staff, I might believe it (maybe they were having a 'bad' day), but 'very rude people' suggests more than one. As I have said before, we have comment sheets on every table and if there is one comment that is most common it would be 'Very good, friendly staff'. I reckon 90% of comments say that. Not much I can do, but say sorry for your bad experience. I addressed Wolfie's problem already.

Maybe rude was the wrong word. Most unfriendly may be a better description. I went in there one night a Tuesday if I recall and the place was empty. Sat at the bar bought a beer and tried to strike up a conversation with the staff (one male and one female) They were to busy with thier own conversation. Finnished my drink and thought I would buy another was so hard to get thier attention so I just left. Wanted to buy one of those pics of Elvis and the royal family for my mum but the service was so bad.

I get the impression from what you say that you have some affiliation with the place. I didn't see any farangs working there.

I must say it is not the worst bar in Chiangmai but close. There is this bar near the Tapai Gate run by an irishman and I warn all farangs never set foot in that place. It's a small place do not know the name but I went in there with my nephew from Aus and a thai friend from lamphun. we bought our drinks from the bar and were sitting outside at the tables and after the 3 round this Irish prick comes up and starts demanding 30 baht service fee per drink that we did tip his worker. <deleted> we were paying 100 baht per beer as it was. A beer you can buy in tesco for 23 baht. Anyway about 3 mins later the local thai police turn up and come straight up to us. Seemed like a 2 minute chat between them and my thai mate a senior sergeant major with the thai police in lamphun and we had 3 free beers and an un opened bottle of wiskey on our table. Also an irish guy saying sorry for the error. We drank the beers took the whiskey back to my home and drank that. Apparently the 30 baht service charge is what he uses to pay his staff and the local police also get a cut.

The best bar area in chiangmai is out towards San sai behind Carefour a rapidly growing area and has a real cosmopolitan feel. Multicultural. Great entertainment very relaxed and cheap prices. Has far more going for it than the inner city area. If you have an affiliation with the red lion place you should suggest that they expand out that way but hey they will have to conform to the friendly enviroment to succeed.

Maybe rude was the wrong word. Most unfriendly may be a better description. I went in there one night a Tuesday if I recall and the place was empty. Sat at the bar bought a beer and tried to strike up a conversation with the staff (one male and one female) They were to busy with thier own conversation. Finnished my drink and thought I would buy another was so hard to get thier attention so I just left. Wanted to buy one of those pics of Elvis and the royal family for my mum but the service was so bad.

I get the impression from what you say that you have some affiliation with the place. I didn't see any farangs working there.

I must say it is not the worst bar in Chiangmai but close. There is this bar near the Tapai Gate run by an irishman and I warn all farangs never set foot in that place. It's a small place do not know the name but I went in there with my nephew from Aus and a thai friend from lamphun. we bought our drinks from the bar and were sitting outside at the tables and after the 3 round this Irish prick comes up and starts demanding 30 baht service fee per drink that we did tip his worker. <deleted> we were paying 100 baht per beer as it was. A beer you can buy in tesco for 23 baht. Anyway about 3 mins later the local thai police turn up and come straight up to us. Seemed like a 2 minute chat between them and my thai mate a senior sergeant major with the thai police in lamphun and we had 3 free beers and an un opened bottle of wiskey on our table. Also an irish guy saying sorry for the error. We drank the beers took the whiskey back to my home and drank that. Apparently the 30 baht service charge is what he uses to pay his staff and the local police also get a cut.

The best bar area in chiangmai is out towards San sai behind Carefour a rapidly growing area and has a real cosmopolitan feel. Multicultural. Great entertainment very relaxed and cheap prices. Has far more going for it than the inner city area. If you have an affiliation with the red lion place you should suggest that they expand out that way but hey they will have to conform to the friendly enviroment to succeed.

Very interesting post, well done. I hope you are going to hang around, this forum has been a bit quiet lately, it looks like you could liven it up.

Yes, gf works in this area and it is certainly buzzing. I still like Nimmanhamein area though.

Rgds