A Trip To Esan

esan psycho

I have been living in Bangkok and central Thailand for the last two years and have never ventured into Esan and think its time to check it out.

I have a few questions and if anyone could answer all/any of them I would be forever in their debt.

* I was planning to visit Roi-et and Si Sa Ket as I have heard they are the most friendly in Thailand, is this true?

*Where else is worth a visit?

*I will be travelling alone and can speak a fair bit of Thai but can't speak a word of the Esan dialect. Will this be a problem?

*Any nightlife in Esan?

*anything else I need to think about?

Thanks in advance!!!!

After Bangkok the nightlife in Isaan is going to seem very quiet and limited,even cities like Udon don't have that much of a nightlife.I would say viiting Isaan is more of a cultural thing as you have the Laos and Khymer influences near the borders.

In general conversation the locals speak Laos but all understand Central Thai.

I have been living in Bangkok and central Thailand for the last two years and have never ventured into Esan and think its time to check it out.

I have a few questions and if anyone could answer all/any of them I would be forever in their debt.

* I was planning to visit Roi-et and Si Sa Ket as I have heard they are the most friendly in Thailand, is this true?

All Issanites are friendly folks.

Depends on your interests... if it's scenery then you should visit Loei on the Loas border... beautiful country.  If your interests lead towards nightlife, stick to the big cities like Korat and Khon Kaen.

*I will be travelling alone and can speak a fair bit of Thai but can't speak a word of the Esan dialect. Will this be a problem?

No problem at all... all Thais speak Thai!  The Isaan/Lao dialect is usually used solely in the smaller villages... all city folk will speak Thai. If you can get by in central Thailand with your knowledge of the language then Isaan will not be a problem either.

*Any nightlife in Esan?

Plenty in the larger cities... none in the villages. Khon Kaen has quite a few really good pubs with live music.  I don't know if you'll find any go-go bars though.

Nope... go and enjoy. :o

Thanks in advance!!!!

*Any nightlife in Esan?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Come to Surin.....................................we'll have 28 isaan psycho's then.

*Any nightlife in Esan?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Come to Surin.....................................we'll have 28 isaan psycho's then.

Tourist info :o ???

I recommend Buriram and Surin - very friendly folks and good nightlife (The Square in Buriram with Speed Nightclub plus Woodstock & Vine Blues Rock Cafe in Buriram and The Bamboo Bar in Buriram). Soi Kola in Surin is good aswell and actually has a gogo bar - Hard Rock Bar. There is also a good farang bar in Surin Bus Station called The Farang Connection.

I recommend Buriram and Surin - very friendly folks and good nightlife (The Square in Buriram with Speed Nightclub plus Woodstock & Vine Blues Rock Cafe in Buriram and The Bamboo Bar in Buriram). Soi Kola in Surin is good aswell and actually has a gogo bar - Hard Rock Bar. There is also a good farang bar in Surin Bus Station called The Farang Connection.

Everyone scared of mentioning Ubon and Mukdaharn lots to do ,Ubon nightlife has always been great and the fishing in September and october is out of this world forget marlinin Queensland try Giant Catfish in Muk!! :o Nignoy

I just came back from the outback of Sri sa ket, i love the people overthere, the are very nice and friendly

Wat khao pra wihan, on the border with Cambodia.

I have seen beautyfull spots and places, but al the time brought there by family Song teaw. So I think you will find some diffelculties, to travel arround.

English can be a problem, even in Sri sa ket city, but They al understand Thai

*Any nightlife in Esan?

I don't know about SSK city, i heard there are a few massage parlours, and a few bars/clubs???

There are no taxi in SSK, only the sam-lor, and a few motorcycle taxi's,a few song-teaws, but they are basicly used to bring the locals from there villages to SSK and bank, aswell students to school

There is in case of medical assistants (hopefully for you not to need) there is a hospital, and a small clinic (wunderfull staff and a dokter who speak good English)

If there is more you like to know just drop me a message.

Kh. Case

Thanks in advance!!!!

Everyone scared of mentioning Ubon and Mukdaharn lots to do ,Ubon nightlife has always been great and the fishing in September and october is out of this world forget marlinin Queensland try Giant Catfish in Muk!! :D Nignoy

Night life in Ubon great? where, been living there 8yrs, havent found any... :o

The great thing about Isaan is the people and the culture.

Not really the place for wild nightlife. :D

Well , I have had some of the wildest nights of my life in Kalasin and Kohn Kaen.

And that's in comparison to nights out on London/LA/New York/HK/Bangkok etc.....

It all boils down to who/what/where you know , and of course your ability to have a great time.

:o

Everyone scared of mentioning Ubon and Mukdaharn lots to do ,Ubon nightlife has always been great and the fishing in September and october is out of this world forget marlinin Queensland try Giant Catfish in Muk!! :D Nignoy

hae not been there for 2 years but cannot imagine things getting worse they were improving when we left, but will see for myself next week when we move, :D nignoy

hae not been there for 2 years but cannot imagine things getting worse they were improving when we left, but will see for myself next week when we move, :D nignoy

You moving to Ubon? town area or where? mail me pv Im collecting info abt all farangs who are living surraunding areas in Ubon and maybe some day we can get people together maybe BBQ and beer

-Marco-

You moving to Ubon? town area or where? mail me pv Im collecting info abt all farangs who are living surraunding areas in Ubon and maybe some day we can get people together maybe BBQ and beer

-Marco-

Got a house near Leong Nok Tha ,we got germans ,dutch and english in the area,afew farangs been living in the Khammarat area since the late 70,s we will be living in Huahin only coming to the ubon area for the fishing :D Nignoy

i think you havn't been in Surin lately because Surin's nightlife sucks !!!!!!!

I've been living for 4 years in Surin but every bar in Surin has to be closed at 1 am and some of them already at 12 pm

and about the farang connection in the busstreet ... bad food, to expensive, bad service and Martin and his wife are doing there best to throw every regular visitor out because she thinks that you can't sell any alcohol in daytime in a "restaurant"

I think there are better restaurant in Surin than that one !!!

• 2 months later...
After Bangkok the nightlife in Isaan is going to seem very quiet and limited,even cities like Udon don't have that much of a nightlife.I would say viiting Isaan is more of a cultural thing as you have the Laos and Khymer influences near the borders.

In general conversation the locals speak Laos but all understand Central Thai.

You'll find that most people around Surin, Roi et, etc., speak Kmer (Kmaen). going west, Khon Kaen, Udon, Loei, etc., they speak pasa Isaan or Lao, although as mentioned, most can understand central Thai. Issan highways are riddled with Issan night clubs; Mualom music/singing, food and yes, girls.. beer and food are cheap, not like Pattaya and the like and farang are treated a few inches better since there aren't many who frequent these places....Chok dee

i... bad food, to expensive, bad service

Does that bad service include the ฿30,000 bail money Martin put up for you when you went on one of your rampages?

I use to do ferangs favours lend them cash, etc, and in the end they kick you in the teeth, my moto now Martin, is look after number one, see you in August.

i... bad food, to expensive, bad service

Does that bad service include the ฿30,000 bail money Martin put up for you when you went on one of your rampages?

I use to do ferangs favours lend them cash, etc, and in the end they kick you in the teeth, my moto now Martin, is look after number one, see you in August.

I am living in dread of you bending over and showing us that your avatar has no teeth!!!

iI think there are better restaurant in Surin than that one !!!

Not one they'll let you in

i've hurt that there is a new pizza restaurant opened in Surin, seems a good idea for you lampie, after the spagetti project that was direct linked to Rudi's, maybee it's time to start a "fallang pizzahut" ore something ? :D

There's supposed to be two Pizza places opening. Patrik has one up the other end of town to me, although there is another guy opening another place neally next door to him. Soon to be seven falang places in town. Maybe you'll have somewhere to go after all. Well at least once. :o

Edited by lampard10