3g In Isaan

Issangeorge

I just bought one of those rocket sticks you attach to your computer for internet from CAT. The stick cost me 7,250 baht including a one month internet package. I bought it for when I’m in my apartment at Kalasin City, I didn’t think it would work at my home, but to my plesent surprise it does, it’s even faster than in Kalasin City. It is suppose to give you up to 3Mpbs, but of course you never get that, but at home I am averaging over 1Mpbs and the best part is it’s holding the connection. The connection on my phone was never higher than 250 Kbps and the connection kept falling off all the time, even straight mobile is lousy at my home. All in all 7,250 baht well spent. CAT claims it is a 3G connection, but I keep reading that Thailand doesn’t have 3G yet. Can anyone explain the discrepancy to me? Issangeorge

Hi,

Some operators are doing 'tests' prior to the official launch, but in any case most of these sticks can handle various modes. If there is no 3G signal present, they will look for a 2G network and failing that they will swap to GPRS. Not sure what is running up in your neck of the woods, but if you're getting 1MB that's great

:)

I've had it for a while now in Buri Ram, and it is just as good, if not better than the IP star satellite I used it to replace. As someone said, it uses CDMA (code division multiple access for what its worth), better than mobile GPRS and Edge, but not quite 3G. You need to be within range of a CAT tower, which most districts have, not just a standard cell phone tower. I'm 15 km by road from the nearest, but still get a good signal without an external antenna. Another thing that makes it better than a fixed system is you can take it with you if travelling around Thailand, although it won't work around Bangkok, including, I've found, Pattaya, Petchaburi and Hua Hin, apparently due to some licensing agreement between CAT and Hutch CDMA. I have used mine in Buri Ram, Surin, Roi Et, Ranong, Phuket, Krabi, Songkhla and Nakorn Sri Tammarat. My monthly fee, VAT included, is 845.30 baht.

Pianoman, the fee is 790 per month, I guess plus 7%VAT but that is unlimited gigibytes of downloads. AT lucky mansion and my school I was averaging from 500Kbps to just over 1Mbps, but at my home here in the country 15 plus km from Kuchinarai I am averaging about the same this morning, but last night I was over 1Mbps most of the time and have been as high as 1.5 and that's without an antenna. I didn't think it would work at all here but it is working great. So far since 10:15 this morning, it is now 13:15 I have downloaded 350Mbytes of a movie, and that's when the connection is a little slow. Since I have got it I have downloaded 3 movies overnight, before using a combination of a wireless connection, I was piggy backing from a user at my apartment, and using our schools supposably high speed connection and my AIS connection it took me days to download a movie sometimes weeks. I just checked and in 30 minutes I have downloaded 160 MB of a movie. Issangeorge.

Pianoman, the fee is 790 per month, I guess plus 7%VAT but that is unlimited gigibytes of downloads. AT lucky mansion and my school I was averaging from 500Kbps to just over 1Mbps, but at my home here in the country 15 plus km from Kuchinarai I am averaging about the same this morning, but last night I was over 1Mbps most of the time and have been as high as 1.5 and that's without an antenna. I didn't think it would work at all here but it is working great. So far since 10:15 this morning, it is now 13:15 I have downloaded 350Mbytes of a movie, and that's when the connection is a little slow. Since I have got it I have downloaded 3 movies overnight, before using a combination of a wireless connection, I was piggy backing from a user at my apartment, and using our schools supposably high speed connection and my AIS connection it took me days to download a movie sometimes weeks. I just checked and in 30 minutes I have downloaded 160 MB of a movie. Issangeorge.

Possibly someone at TT&T is monitoring my posts, just kidding.... Yesterday after posting my question I was visited at my home by two TT&T people, one Sales Lady and one Tech who has been here before correcting small issues... Informed me that for an 802 baht fee they will be here Wednesday to connect me to the New Dedicated Line offering 4MB for 590 baht... Said that actually should be getting between 3.2 to 3.8 MB, and since not on a phone line there should be no "SlowDown" during Heavy Use Periods like I experience with their current connections...

Pianoman

Pianoman, a high speed fixed line connection is always faster when it works, but talking to the guy across the hall from me who has a fixed line TT&T connection, he says a lot of time he has no connection, another friend who had a TOT line told me the same thing. So far the CAT 3G connection I have has been always on, but the speed is inconsistant.Right now I'm getting 1Mbps and above, but yesterday I was averaging about 500Kbps for most of the day.

Pianoman, a high speed fixed line connection is always faster when it works, but talking to the guy across the hall from me who has a fixed line TT&T connection, he says a lot of time he has no connection, another friend who had a TOT line told me the same thing. So far the CAT 3G connection I have has been always on, but the speed is inconsistant.Right now I'm getting 1Mbps and above, but yesterday I was averaging about 500Kbps for most of the day.

My connection remains very constant. I get 1.3meg from Bangkok and between 500-600 from US/European servers

This is far better than the CrapStar connection I had before, which was almost useless and very expensive in comparison.

I have an MC760 with external antenna which points to a tower 12-14km away at Don Chan, signal strength varies from -120 to -103

Torrents download at a very high speed up to 3meg sometimes, I'm told this is due to the number of connections involved.

Totster :)

The "Fixed Line" connection that you are talking about is standard ADSL thru the phone lines of TOT.... This New Line is suppose to be a Dedicated (no phones connected) Line for Internet only.... They said that I will be one of the first 100 people to be hooked up as this line was just completed into Kalasin last week.... I too have noticed periods of no connection with the phone line type, but that should not be a problem with the New Dedicated Lines... We will see.... Plus the difference between 1.5 and 3.5MB will be Huge....

Pianoman

• 2 weeks later...

As with most things in Thailand, it took longer to get the new TT&T / 3BB set up, but they installed it this afternoon... I have tested it on and off since and consistantly getting 4.2MB up to as high as 4.8MB... The tech who installed it said that it should stay above 4MB until they get a lot more people hooked up, maybe 2 to 4 months....

Plus still only paying the 590 Baht per month....

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

As with most things in Thailand, it took longer to get the new TT&T / 3BB set up, but they installed it this afternoon... I have tested it on and off since and consistantly getting 4.2MB up to as high as 4.8MB... The tech who installed it said that it should stay above 4MB until they get a lot more people hooked up, maybe 2 to 4 months....

Pianoman

Are you in the town centre ?

totster :)

Pianoman

Are you in the town centre ?

totster :)

On the edge of Kalasin, but yes actually within the city limits... But I know farangs who are as far as 5kilos out who are still getting good coverage and speed.... I guess just another advantage to being "In Town" rather than "In Village".....

Pianoman

I just bought one of those rocket sticks you attach to your computer for internet from CAT.

Will one of these devices work well at a location 16 km north of Khon Kaen .. (about 1 km off the highway to Udorn?)

There is a CAT tower in every Amphur (so i believe), so chances are there may be a tower nearer than you think. Best bet is to go to the local CAT office and ask them.

Totster :)