Noisy Cocks! How To Shut Them Up ...? Help!

annabel

Sorry to say,you will not get any help or compromise whatsoever.Maybe he wants to buy your land and is trying to force you out.Maybe you are lucky that he hasnt copied you and built a guest house as thais are good for that

Generaly thais are very very unreasonable,as my neighbour says her 6 dogs only shit small,when they poo all by my house and gate,just in the perfect place to tread on.

I have told her on more than 1 occasion what a nasty bitch she is and she just smiles and threatens me with voodoo,

It seems that you don't like Thais, and they don't like you!! :) Are you planning to stay?

Thais are GENERALY unreasonable

1 thai woman with farang husband with dogs.

helloooo mike hunt go away little vermin,and stop flaming,if you want to say anything i can give you my number with pleasure my mike

BTW

Do you know me,as you think thais dont like me,turn up and i will introduce you to some realy big thai guys

LMAO

Mr tough guy huh lol except you have to bring some big thai guys with you :D:D:D

too funny

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say,you will not get any help or compromise whatsoever.Maybe he wants to buy your land and is trying to force you out.Maybe you are lucky that he hasnt copied you and built a guest house as thais are good for that

Generaly thais are very very unreasonable,as my neighbour says her 6 dogs only shit small,when they poo all by my house and gate,just in the perfect place to tread on.

I have told her on more than 1 occasion what a nasty bitch she is and she just smiles and threatens me with voodoo,

It seems that you don't like Thais, and they don't like you!! :) Are you planning to stay?

helloooo mike hunt go away little vermin,and stop flaming,if you want to say anything i can give you my number with pleasure my mike

Your lack of command of the English language is the problem (nothing wrong with that, since it does appear to be a second language for you). If you say that 'Thais are generally unreasonable' then that means more than 1 woman and her dog. To use the word 'generally' implies that Thais are normally, or commonly unreasonable. Maybe you should choose your words more carefully, it could lead to misunderstanding. 

Your other comments are otherwise amusing. The 'Mike Hunt' joke I haven't heard since yesterday, but it still gave me  a good belly laugh nonetheless. Well done. 

Thanks for the offer of meeting your friends. Very sociable of you. I'll PM you when I'm free.

Edited by KevinHunt

Your lack of command of the English language is the problem (nothing wrong with that, since it does appear to be a second language for you). If you say that 'Thais are generally unreasonable' then that means more than 1 woman and her dog. To use the word 'generally' implies that Thais are normally, or commonly unreasonable. Maybe should choose your words more carefully, it could lead to misunderstanding.

Your other comments are otherwise amusing. The 'Mike Hunt' joke I haven't heard since yesterday, but it still gave me a good belly laugh nonetheless. Well done.

Thanks for the offer of meeting your friends. Very sociable of you. I'll PM you when I'm free.

Gone past even checking my spelling,so a few karaoke bars first,and i meant big as wealthy not bodyguards lol.Never mind dont want to give you any misunderstandings of my post

Oh dear, poor Anabel I do so feel for you.

Your post reinforces very strongly my determination never to buy another house in Thailand since I live in dread of some similar blight, which can come any day, ruining the peace and quiet in our quiet little backwater of Amphur Muang. Rent and if disaster strikes in any form move out at the end of the month and rent another.

Good advice. After a bit of persuasion I've leased a house for only 6 months instead of the requested 12. Something may crop up as you say. But probably not cockerels. I think there must be rules and regulations in some/most housing developments, certainly not about dogs but I've not heard a cock crow in a housing estate,as far as I remember.Even in those small old Thai villages near or in the University grounds (like Fah Hin and a few others) you rarely hear cocks. I've always found it surprising and assumed there are rules in some communities based near the town. In rural areas of course, anything goes. Its a free for all. Unfortunately for Annabel.

Perhaps turn a couple of fox loose in his chicken area at night, works best if he is not home. In the morning the fox and the chickens will be missing or just a lot of feathers and bones. The trick is to locate a fox or two. What LOS needs is a good rent a fox store. :D

I know some bars that have pretty nice foxes for rent, but I don't think they are much good with roosters... unless the rooster is already fried. :)

I understand the OP's problem entirely. On a few fishing trips where I stay with hill tribe people the roosters drive me crazy. Eventually, you just get used to not sleeping for a full night. And, yes, the roosters DO crow all night long. If it was a constant noise you can get used to it and eventually ignore it, but when a rooster just outside your window lets fly at 3 AM it does tend to wake you up.

And, If you have guests paying rental then it WOULD bother them enough that they would want to leave.

A few hungry pythons and cobras might do the trick, but then you would have to deal with the snakes later.

Hi Annabel,

I would go on with the ultrasound solution. Such a unit isn't too difficult or expensive to build (Frequency synthesizer, lots of info in the net e.g. www.ryanmcginty.com/orgone/freqgentutorial.htm --- An electrical engineering student should be able to solder it together for little money), all needed parts are easily available in CNX. I would suggest to give it an infinitely variable range from let's say 30 to 50KHz, then you can find out the best frequency in practice. Of course you need a powerful emplifier and capable piezo speaker.

I do not see any other solution than to give this a try but I'm quite sure it will work. The roosters will simply avoid to stay close to the disliked sound, and will retreat to the more remote areas of the 6.5 rai where they will not be heard disturbingly anymore.

Good luck, I cross my fingers for you! (We spent some AUA courses together [Khun Khit or Khun Malee] about 15 years ago)

if you get the ultrasound device properly calibrated to thai poultry, and can design a portable

unit, i'd be in line to buy a copy. nothing pisses me off more than to be staying in what i

thought was a nice guesthouse, and be constantly awoken by cocks crowing at all hours.

A couple of cocks crowing. How inconvenient.. :) Get over it - and then consider what your kind/civilisation is doing {and continues so} to the earth. :D

What are you on about? Did you read the lady's original post? The poor lady is losing customers because of the noise from her neighbours' cockerels and she should 'get over it'?  She is in danger of losing her business but she should be more concerned about what 'her kind' is doing to the earth? What exactly is 'her kind'?

You seem to have plenty of concern about planet earth , but not an ounce of sympathy or understanding for people. Weird.

Just out of curiosity .... what 'kind' are you?

Edited by KevinHunt

A moderator on this forum, my pal Crowboy, was driven to utter distraction by barking soi dogs in his moo baan out in San Kamphaeng.

What he did was....

He got the loudest most bad a-s amp, cranked it up to 10, and proceeded to play all his fav Heavy Metal tunes. Soon as they started with the bark routine.

Stunned the little buggers into shocked whimpering, and general silence.

But I don't think chickens are smart enough to respond to this treatment. And I doubt this method would go over well with your guests.

Feral cats love to eat chickens. And they are silent.

Just a suggestion.

A friend of mine had a similar problem. but with the red buses blaring their advertisements at 6 in the morning. He paid another Thai to follow the driver all day to see where he lived and then drove his pick up truck over to the front of the mans house and blasted rock music every night at midnight. He did this for three nights and the bus driver never came back. Either has any other red bus after that. (Word spreads quick about crazy farangs) Ask your late night guests to party next to his house late at night as long as they can and give them a free bottle of whiskey.After a few days of this I think he'll get the picture. After all, you have no responsibility over what your guests do off your property :)

May be cheaper to hang a stuffed bird of prey outside the window. Scare the shit out of the singing birds and they will fall silent. The owner will stroll a different route.

I saw this on another post this morning of the "Acoustical / Noise Cancelling Curtains, Noise is driving me crazy, from 5:30 a.m." post about noisy birds in a soi .May be worth a go. .

I have no idea how to shut them up!!

What I would like to do is get rid of them all together.Why you ask?Because the little sh_ts are tearing up our garden and all of our flowers looking for food!I really do not mind the crowing just them tearing everything up!

There are many tone generator computer programmes available, but two major problems with this approach - most do not generate up beyond 22khz, and sound-cards probably won't go up to 50khz either.

---

The parts to build an oscillator are probably 100 baht.

Here is a link to a simple oscillator using the old 555 chip - been around for 30 years I think

http://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.co...atorsckt1.shtml

---

About piezo transducers, a cheap piezo tweeter (tiny speaker) will hit 30khz, and my guess could hit 40-50khz but at a reduced level. There are also high-frequency piezo transducers available , of course - should be cheap at Amorn.

For power, any small audio amp should produce output at 40-50khz, and only a few watts are needed.

---

It would be nice to focus the beam - is a satellite dish parabolic? A used dish could probably be picked up very cheaply or even in the trash! I envision an array of maybe 8 transducers mounted on the dish!

---

Don't get caught practicing witchcraft on your neighbors!

Hi Annabel,

I would go on with the ultrasound solution. Such a unit isn't too difficult or expensive to build (Frequency synthesizer, lots of info in the net e.g. www.ryanmcginty.com/orgone/freqgentutorial.htm --- An electrical engineering student should be able to solder it together for little money), all needed parts are easily available in CNX. I would suggest to give it an infinitely variable range from let's say 30 to 50KHz, then you can find out the best frequency in practice. Of course you need a powerful emplifier and capable piezo speaker.

I do not see any other solution than to give this a try but I'm quite sure it will work. The roosters will simply avoid to stay close to the disliked sound, and will retreat to the more remote areas of the 6.5 rai where they will not be heard disturbingly anymore.

Good luck, I cross my fingers for you! (We spent some AUA courses together [Khun Khit or Khun Malee] about 15 years ago)

They are available in Bangkok somewhere, the ultrasonic bark control devices and ultrasonic pest control, and cost between 1600 to 2800 Baht. Work like a charm on dogs, but there range (I think) is less than 20 meters or 30 meters. Some have switch volume levels and frequencies. A bark device is activated by the noise and therefore battery powered; good pest control devices are plug in units as they run consistently - with the added bonus of have switchable frequencies.

pestbanac.jpg

Earplugs sell for about 7 baht a pair; 5 baht each if you buy a 100 pairs. :)

Feral cats love to eat chickens. And they are silent.

silent? you've never been kept awake by feral cats in heat?

I've never been kept awake by one, but I have sounded like one!

Edited by wjmark

[quote name='wjmark' date='2010-01-17 09:45:01' post='3272842'

tone generator computer programmes

to build an oscillator

electronic circuit diagrams

piezo transducers,

piezo tweeters

small audio amp

satellite dish parabolic

potentiometer

square wave frequencies

Dear Annabel,

I do hope you'll be careful while assembling these weapons of mass destruction on the kitchen table not to let any flour get into the works as you're rolling out the pastry base for your guests' apple pie.

We didn't confront him.... when my housekeeper went the first time to meet him she suggested and asked him if we could help him to build a chicken coop to put the chickens and roosters in at night as they all just run around the whole place. She said we would pay for the materials and one of our staff would put it together for him. This after first explaining to him that we had a guest house and needed some help from him as the guests were having difficulties sleeping and it was causing us problems. She said that if at least during the night they could be put into the coop it would be of great help and then let them out in the morning and let them run around all day and evening no problem.. and his reply to her was rude with the "This is nature just close ur windows and put your AC on".

And when I went back with her I also offered to help him financially to do something to improve his grounds and make a proper coop for them ... He just smiled and I again asked him, pleaded with him, begged him with a crying kind of smile and in my broken Thai to please help and whatever solution we could work out wouldn't cost him anything as I would pay for all that is required. That's when he said he wanted to sell his land and why don't I buy it.... so that got to a dead end and well nothing happened

The problem is that he doesn't live there. He has money and has another house else where. He has a small team of labor who come there in the evening and sleep in this little shack of a house that he has built. He only comes in the mornings to spend the day there and then leaves and goes home around 5 or 6 in the evening when his team come back...

We've tried sling shots but only works temporarily.... Sedatives ?? :) .. I know .... not an easy solution

But other than getting my neighbors to help and speak to the Village Head I think maybe the ultrasonic device could be a good solution ... Yeah !!! Some hope !! Thanks ... Have to read on more about this... Thanks everybody

uote name='Thakkar' date='2010-01-16 14:07:15' post='3271502']

First let me say that I feel for you and the stress and loss of business you are suffering.

Direct confrontation is the worst way to approach a conflict anywhere, but especially here in Thailand. Cocks will crow, as they are wont to do and asking a neighbor to shut them up would be rightly seen as a ridiculous demand. What you thought was a polite request wasn't seen as such and if you don't intuitively understand why then you have either not been here long enough or are insensitive to how other people think. Your neighbor has plenty of land and he could move the cocks further afield, but there may be practical difficulties you may not know about. Still your approach gives him no reason whatsoever to even consider a solution to what he sees as *your* problem.

How do you make it *his* problem as well?

The concept of Grengchai comes into play. If your approach had been to befriend him first, being careful not to get too friendly (say, by getting drunk with him—a big no-no) and then later subtly bringing up the issue of the crowings' affect on your business and sanity, he might have felt obliged to at least try and think of a solution to avoid Grengchai, to avoid disturbing a kindly, friendly neighbor. He might have expressed his apologies and let you in on the practical difficulties he faces in finding a solution. You could offer to help with a little finance and/or manpower. At least he would now see it as a mutual problem he cannot blithely ignore.

Things can yet be turned around by curbing your feelings of frustration and changing your approach.

I wish you luck.

--0--

oops... looks like some others have had similar thoughts to mine, that is, see it as a mutual problem and approach in a cooperative manner.

Good luck.

--I posted the first part before reading the other replies - T

Annabel,

Clearly you've made all the right moves and looks like your neighbor's just one of those jerks one comes across from time to time. He's a business hurdle you have to surmount. Not taking it personally will help you focus on a solution, and some of the ultrasonic devices suggested in this thread may be your ticket. As one of the posters has noted: careful not to let your neighbor catch you practicing electronic black magic or he'll blame any problems his chickens are having on your devices and demand compensation.

All the best.

In retrospect .... maybe I should copy this onto a CD and blast it back at 2 or 3 am when they start.... hehehe!! And nobody would really know it's me... and maybe the other neighbors would then get annoyed enough to also start doing something about this issue .... Thinking ! THINKING !! UMMMM TEMPTING :)

:D Even A Thai person would consider poisonning one like that :D
Something like this? :D