Best Dvd Rentals

in the sky

the simply named 'Video Shop' next to DK Books on the moat road has, for my money, the best selection of rentals around: a fair smattring of euro cinema, classic oldies, plus all the obvious schlock. (You can also read a certain someone's reviews of their movies each month in Citylife).

Otherwise, the Hollywood machine is ably supported by places like Tsutaya up at Tesco Lotus, Kamthieng.

I'm afraid I have had some very bad experiences with the DK video rental place and now avoid them like the plague.

The best place I have found, by far, is Neo Entertainment Gallery on the top floor of the Airport Plaza shopping mall. It is located at the opposite end of the plaza from the Robinson Department store and is about five shops from the end.

I'm still looking for a decent source of classical music on cd (not Mp3) beyond the few olde 'best of...' cd's floating around. Any ideas?

Polecat, I enjoy your reviews :o

I'm still looking for a decent source of classical music on cd

Have you tried the dvd shop in Pantip Plaza on the ground floor?

They have some excellent cd's and dvd's of classical music and some really good hard to find dvd's.

I'm still looking for a decent source of classical music on cd

Have you tried the dvd shop in Pantip Plaza on the ground floor?

They have some excellent cd's and dvd's of classical music and some really good hard to find dvd's.

Thanks, sir. I'll check them this week. I hadn't even thought of performances on DVD, but I'll sure be looking at those, too.

Classical music hath charms to soothe my savage breast :o

Edited by Ajarn

I'm intrigued about this bad service at the dvd shop..do tell. Oh go on, please

I have posted on this in previous threads on this very subject: Here, and Here.

My final run in with them came when they sold me an ex-rental, copy of a DVD for a price higher than the genuine original. (They charged 350 Baht for the disk. It was then available for 245 Baht in NEO or 199 in Maengpong although I did not know it at the time.)

When I got home and discovered the disk to be scratched, both playing and label sides, and totally unplayable, I returned to the shop, (about 20 minutes later). They refused to accept responsibility, claiming first that I had not bought the disk from them. When another customer, (still in the shop) said he had seen me doing so, they then claimed I had swapped disks, (patently ridiculous). Eventually, when I threatened calling the police, they took the disk and disappeared with it. They then offered me a 100 Baht in discount if I purchased another copy of the same DVD.

I called the police but had no proof of anything when the they arrived. My disk had disappeared and the shop denied everything.

What a set of gits!

I generally don't buy from them as I believe they get their stock from Mae Sai and everyone knows someone who makes regular trips (and can buy what you want much cheaper)

Personally I've had no problems, but will definitely be wary of similar.

Apols for making you repeat yourself