Queuing Up

HedKeeQuai

OK, I've had enough of this $%^&! :o

It seems almost everytime I queue up for something here, some local people will blatantly push in front of me. I just cannot understand it, and I'm usually left speechless. How would you say:

"Excuse me, I was here first" (politely)

and

"Hey! Don't push in!" (less polite)

Drives me nuts too.. Happens all over..

Khor tort kap... Phom gorn

Excuse me.. I am first

I think I have this down to have just the right inflectio of 'oi piss of matey' in there..

Nice one in the elecy shop.. I am in there waiting, one person being served then just me, everyone normally uses tickets to indicate when you come in.. Older Thai male comes in, sees me, hangs around standing..

Person finishes getting served, and its me and he just barges in and thrusts hand through the counter.. I (politely I think) do the above and he just blanks me.. I couch and make it a little more forceful and try to make eye contact and he waves his arm dismissively with a piss of farang look.. The nice lady behind the counter, smiles at me and asks him for his number.. he blusters and I get served..

As she is serving me another 3 or 4 people fill the place, now normally they are not sticlers for the token system when its quiet and people just do in order.. I finish and as he goes to the counter she again asks him for his token.. Now this time it is his turn and he gives her some bluster but she wouldnt take any sh1t.. He then had to get a token and back of the queue, as he slumps off she gives me a nice smile and knowing look..

Sometimes its the little victories..

Edited by LivinLOS

Believe me, it can annoy Thais, too, but most just 'mai pen rai' it.. Some others might speak up, too, mostly a polite-sounding, "Mii Que, na'?" reminder...

But most Thais don't get their egos attached and in a huff, much, over such a trivial issue. It's not nearly the big deal here that it's often made to be in the West, in my experience. A lesson many farangs could learn from, maybe :o

Coming from England where queuing orderly is a national past time it was annoying at first but over the years you mellow and it just becomes part of the way of life here.

That said the local banks have introduced the ticket system so someone's had a moan. :o

Edited by aletta

Ajarn, I'm all for Thai culture but I see this as something that Thais could learn from foreigners. If someone acknowledged I was standing there I would (and do) happily let them go in front of me. But rudely pushing in, is uncalled for, especially when it's contempt for a foreigner.

IMH(farang)O

How about อย่าแซงคิวสิครับ (ya' saeng kiw si krub) = come on now, don't cut in line, krub! :o

Not extremely polite, but assertive in a kinda matter-of-fact way.. maybe begin it with กรุณา (garuna) = please :D

Might want to practice pronouncing it correctly before using it though, might end up just confusing them! (or worse, they'll think you're "thank you"-ing them)

Ajarn, I'm all for Thai culture but I see this as something that Thais could learn from foreigners. If someone acknowledged I was standing there I would (and do) happily let them go in front of me. But rudely pushing in, is uncalled for, especially when it's contempt for a foreigner.

IMH(farang)O

Yes, I would agree with that, if that were the case.

There are going to be pricks everywhere, for sure. Some Thais may be doing it for the reasons you believe, but, maybe not, too. I've certainly jumped to the wrong conclusion here many times, and I still do, even after 20 years living here.

I think it can be often quite difficult for us to accurately judge when someone is showing contempt or not, but then again, you may be on spot... It's just that I've seen concrete examples where I've missed the spot, myself, so I'm often more careful about the conclusions I jump to. Sometimes not so careful, too. I'm still human. :o

But, I think hostile reactions seem to suggest that one might be reacting maybe more from our own ego. You felt offended, and you responded in kind. Human nature, but not the only option humans can choose.

In your scenario, it seems one has given up self control to this 'offender'. Simply put, if he's a good boy, you are happy. If he's a bad boy, you aren't... Why give a stranger that kind of power to control how you feel (on the negative side), especially one you don't like? Where's the gain for you? Where's the resolvement going to come from?

Mai Pen Rai is another option, and it's one I try to use whenever possible to keep me feeling peaceful. My health sucks, and I could have another stroke any moment, but beyond all that, in que jumping situations, it just doesn't make any true sense to me to make a mountain out of a mole hill... :D

Please don't take my words wrong, okay? I'm not suggesting you are wrong, just that, in my mind, there is a different way of viewing some things. This can be a tough place to figure out sometimes, but it can often offer us an opportunity to compare and question our own values and issues, and hopefully maintain some semblance of sanity here, and learn more in the process. Obviously we all want to be sabai here, na'?

Edited by Ajarn

IMH(farang)O

There are going to be pricks everywhere, for sure. Some Thais may be doing it for the reasons you believe, but, maybe not, too. I've certainly jumped to the wrong conclusion here many times, and I still do, even after 20 years living here.

I think it can be often quite difficult for us to accurately judge when someone is showing contempt or not, but then again, you may be on spot... It's just that I've seen concrete examples where I've missed the spot, myself, so I'm often more careful about the conclusions I jump to. Sometimes not so careful, too. I'm still human. :o

But, I think hostile reactions seem to suggest that one might be reacting maybe more from our own ego. You felt offended, and you responded in kind. Human nature, but not the only option humans can choose.

In your scenario, it seems one has given up self control to this 'offender'. Simply put, if he's a good boy, you are happy. If he's a bad boy, you aren't... Why give a stranger that kind of power to control how you feel (on the negative side), especially one you don't like? Where's the gain for you? Where's the resolvement going to come from?

Mai Pen Rai is another option, and it's one I try to use whenever possible to keep me feeling peaceful. My health sucks, and I could have another stroke any moment, but beyond all that, in que jumping situations, it just doesn't make any true sense to me to make a mountain out of a mole hill... :D

Please don't take my words wrong, okay? I'm not suggesting you are wrong, just that, in my mind, there is a different way of viewing some things. This can be a tough place to figure out sometimes, but it can often offer us an opportunity to compare and question our own values and issues, and hopefully maintain some semblance of sanity here, and learn more in the process. Obviously we all want to be sabai here, na'?

It's funny Ajarn, I really agree with your reasoning here; but my GF who is 100% Thai, born and raised, without overseas experience, hates this kind of behaviour - she is the one who gets pisssed off and gives any offenders a piece of her mind. Very convenient at times, as I dont have to be the annoying farang who questions everything... she serves that role perfectly well. :D

I know for our coulture it isn't polite, but, obviously they think their need is greater than yours.

It gives you a great opportunity to think of that while you are waiting the extra time.

I hear ya', which is why I said 'most', not all, Thais... My ex-wife was the same. She figured it was their bad Karma coming back right away, having her in their face :o

Edited by Ajarn

I know for our coulture it isn't polite, but, obviously they think their need is greater than yours.

It gives you a great opportunity to think of that while you are waiting the extra time.

i think that is taking it too far mattnich.

queue jumping is rude , aggressive and shows bad manners and impoliteness in any country and in any situation.

if a person thinks their need is greater than yours then the correct way would be to ask to get in front , not just barge in.

thais in general hate it too when someone jumps in front of them , but the thai way is to let it pass.

the queue jumper knows this and just takes advantage of the situation , i.e. acts in a selfish manner.

yes , usually its not worth getting too worked up about , but by being too passive about it only encourages the spread of bad manners and selfish acts .

my wife , having learnt from 15 years in the uk , knows how to speak up for herself in a public situation , and gives these queue jumpers no mercy , and their embarrassment and public humiliation sends them scurrying towards the back of the queue and usually she gets some support from other queue members.

but if you think its bad here , you should see the free for alls in india. :o

This is a feel good story. While driving to work one day I saw up ahead a police check point. The traffic had built up a bit and as two lanes had to merge into one (right lane blocked) this added to the pile up. Not too bad but at least 20 odd cars. I merged into the left lane safely, and I could see that the right lane up ahead was now totally empty up until the check point. Then I saw a pick-up just overtake everyone in the right-hand lane, hoping to get right to the front before merging back into the left lane at the last minute, instead of merging with all the others. The copper at the front saw this and before the pick-up could merge he stopped it and told it to wait until at least 10 or so cars (including me) went first.

I was happy that day. :-)

This is a feel good story. While driving to work one day I saw up ahead a police check point. The traffic had built up a bit and as two lanes had to merge into one (right lane blocked) this added to the pile up. Not too bad but at least 20 odd cars. I merged into the left lane safely, and I could see that the right lane up ahead was now totally empty up until the check point. Then I saw a pick-up just overtake everyone in the right-hand lane, hoping to get right to the front before merging back into the left lane at the last minute, instead of merging with all the others. The copper at the front saw this and before the pick-up could merge he stopped it and told it to wait until at least 10 or so cars (including me) went first.

I was happy that day. :-)

sure you werent dreaming ??? :o

IMH(farang)O

It's funny Ajarn, I really agree with your reasoning here; but my GF who is 100% Thai, born and raised, without overseas experience, hates this kind of behaviour - she is the one who gets pisssed off and gives any offenders a piece of her mind. Very convenient at times, as I dont have to be the annoying farang who questions everything... she serves that role perfectly well. :D

wifes the same way :D

Coming from England where queuing orderly is a national past time it was annoying at first but over the years you mellow and it just becomes part of the way of life here.

Coming from Isreal, where queue jumping is the national sport, I find it very amusing when I see Thais doing that kinda thing to me - I mean, I'm supposed be the rude one, not they :o

Pretty rare, in comparison, in Thailand. When it does happen - reminds me of home... :D

Edited by ~G~