Ingredients For Indian Food

Thaiquila

I have concluded that the Indian food situation in Pattaya basically sucks, it is either really, really bad, or way too expensive. I don't know how the local Thai Indians cope, perhaps they have even lost touch with their food culture.

Given that Indian food is something I kind of need from time to time, I would like to cook a few dishes myself, the way I like.

Does anyone know of an Indian grocery in town to buy basic things like chana dal and Indian spices?

BTW: When in Bangkok, the Sunday only Indian lunch buffet at the Holiday Inn Silom is well worth the 400 baht price.

Edited by Thaiquila

I have concluded that the Indian food situation in Pattaya basically sucks, it is either really, really bad, or way too expensive. I don't know how the local Thai Indians cope, perhaps they have even lost touch with their food culture.

Given that Indian food is something I kind of need from time to time, I would like to cook a few dishes myself, the way I like.

Does anyone know of an Indian grocery in town to buy basic things like chana dal and Indian spices?

BTW: When in Bangkok, the Sunday only Indian lunch buffet at the Holiday Inn Silom is well worth the 400 baht price.

Why don't u ask one of those guys who constantly try to haul u into one of their clothes shops :o i,m sure the indian community aren't going local although there a probally similarities between the 2 foods.

Why don't u ask one of those guys who constantly try to haul u into one of their clothes shops :D i,m sure the indian community aren't going local although there a probally similarities between the 2 foods.

Problem is, they'd only tell you if you promise to buy a suit... :o

totster :D

Edited by Totster

Thaiquila, There is an Indian grocery store on soi 16 off Phratamnak Rd. which is the extension of Second Rd. If your coming from Jomtien, as you get into Pattaya it is the last soi on the right before you get to South Pattaya Rd. Its the soi that runs up the back of the school. Its about 80 metres up the soi on the right opposite the back of the school.

Why don't u ask one of those guys who constantly try to haul u into one of their clothes shops :D i,m sure the indian community aren't going local although there a probally similarities between the 2 foods.

Problem is, they'd only tell you if you promise to buy a suit... :o

totster :D

Cross your fingers and promise then :D

Thaiquila, There is an Indian grocery store on soi 16 off Phratamnak Rd. which is the extension of Second Rd. If your coming from Jomtien, as you get into Pattaya it is the last soi on the right before you get to South Pattaya Rd. Its the soi that runs up the back of the school. Its about 80 metres up the soi on the right opposite the back of the school.

Correct, just look for the big Indian (Sikh, I think) temple, not much choice

but they have the essentials. :o

I had the same prob finding Indian ingredients in BKK, so, I'm stocking up in SYD.

If customs have sniffers at DM, I might be a long time getting back into LoS :D

My sister sent me 4 largish jars of Sharwoods Vindaloo paste....by mail! Package was never opened by customs. :o

Just out of interest would customs take them of you bringing them into the country? what about taking the thai green curry paste back to the UK? get them swiped then?

No I've done it both ways; for my Thai shop in England & my English shop in Thailand. The only trouble I had was with fish products from Thailand to UK. Everything else got straight through. Same UK to here; marmite,bovril,birds custard,tea bags,mustard,branston,cheese sauce,baked beans,oxos,bisto. Even 14 cases of real ales. Mind you they done the dirty there. They charged me import duty on the beer,then raided my pub when I put it up for sale.But then they only took what was on show. I gave the rest away.

Just out of interest would customs take them of you bringing them into the country? what about taking the thai green curry paste back to the UK? get them swiped then?

It is rare for people to get searched in any way going into BKK in the nothing to declare line. If searched, I seriously doubt spices would be a problem unless you had a large cache that looked like a commercial venture.

As far as exporting, country by country. To go back to the US, you can't take anything fresh, so raw spices would probably be a problem. However, anything processed is OK. The trouble comes into the definition of processed. Green curry paste is basically mashed raw spices, not cooked. This may potentially be seen as not processed.

You don't need to go to Sydney to stock up on Indian ingredients; Pahurat is the Indian market next to Yaowarat in Bangkok. Some things, like toothpaste for example, cost more, but spices are really cheap. The shops there sell everything from chai and sweets to holographic om stickers to saris. A plate of dahl and a lassi will be less than 50 baht.

Cobber, thanks for the tip about the grocery store in Pattaya - I'm leaving straight away to go find it!

If you're desperate, there's a street stall at Pattaya Plaza (near the dolphin) that sells pre-packaged sets of different spices, but they're no bargain.

Now, if anyone is making curd :o ... just got back from India and am really missing it! But get my kicks everyday by juicing limes with my handmade, wooden juicer, same as the lime soda guys use, that I bought for 25 baht!

Edited by jennscoot

:o

And when you tired of Indian food, please have a look at Thai food

Try taking anything back to Aust. Sometimes even yourself is a problem :D

I agree with George, thai food is the best way to go, and if your as experimental as jayenram you can come up with all sorts of dishes.

And if you continue a long way up Soi 17, past the turnings to Hollywood and Yensabai, until you are behind the Tuk.com outlet and DayNight enterprise, you will find an excellent hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant (more of a cafe) that is worth trying. On the right, on a corner, opposite the Soi Day-Night entrance that serves Tuk.com parking.

Try this dip if you are adventurous:

Dry fry about a dozen or so dried red chilis. About 1/2 minute each side should be enough. Pour boiling water over the chilis and soak for at least 1/2 hour making sure they're covered completely (put a dish on the top).

Dry fry a dozen cloves of garlic for 15 minutes.

Pok pok 1/2" stick of cinnamon, a couple of cloves, about a dozen black peppercorns, 2 shreaded bay leaves, 1/2 tsp dried oregano and 1/2 tsp cumin seed.

Drain the chilis and put them in a liquidiser with the garlic, the pok pok spices, 3 tbsp cider vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tblsp water.

Give it some welly for about 8 to 10 minutes turning the liquidiser off every 20 seconds to batter down the ingredients.

When it's smooth, force it through a sieve until there's only a pulp remaining in the sieve. Throw the pulp away but be careful not to let children or animals near it. Take the sieved paste and store it in the fridge. Only store in glass containers as it will corrode metal and eat through plastic.

:o