10% Discount, Who Gives A Monkey's?

KevinHunt

What is the use of raising your prices so that you might offer a discount? You reward half and screw the other half. Is that proactive customer service?

That is a common practise everywhere and when I see it happening I don't return.

The Thai way is to start out with high prices, and when regulars stop coming you raise the prices even more. The North American plan is to serve huge portions that make people fat.

If you spend any time in any city you come to understand the cost of various items... depending on where you choose to eat. It's quite easy to see if you are getting value for your money. You would expect to pay more if you in a nice restaurant, have several servers and recieve prompt service. I can get Kow Pat (stir fried rice) in a Thai, street side cafe for anywhere from 25 to 40 baht. I would expect to pay 50 or 60 baht in a nice restaurant. But, if I receive a bill for 100 baht (like I do in Phuket) then I don't come back. Sometimes you are willing to pay more for the ambience of a restaurant over looking the water or some equally as nice location. Having a discount has no bearing on whether I eat in any place. I DO know what the price of things should be.

The guy the op is referring to is a prick :)

Never bothered about a discount (the place is providing a service after all) but it's a nice gesture for publicans to offer their regulars a beer on occasion, particularly when they have been shouted many.

Forget the discount,just serve decent food.The steak my wife had at the Red Lion a couple of weeks ago was absolute rubbish and virtually uneatable.Its about time the owner of the Red Lion stopped promoting his own restaurant on Thai Visa and started concentrating on serving only the best food,regardless of whether there is a discount or not.We will certainly not be going back there even with a 50% discount.

Keithkarmann

You did not say if he was farang or Thai, but for Thai people it always looks good and they feel special in a restaurant.

I had a restaurant here in Chiang mai about 25 years ago and we always gave 10percent when the bill was over 1000 bath and the Thais did ask

for a business card with 10 percent on so they could show it the next time they came.

And believe me they came every other night and they spent maybe 4 to 5000 bath so it was god in the long run to give them 10 percent.

Edited by SM7WGP

haha... another Red Lion thread! :) I'd nearly forgotten you existed

actually I think a 'loyalty card' is a good idea linked to a discount... it does encourage me to go back to Starbucks when they introduce their cards you get stamped and fill-up 10 places and get a free drink... maybe you could do it on a particular beverage? (Guiness for instance hehe) buy 10 get one free might be a better wheeze than 10%

Do you notice when Kevin starts a thread it gets about 10 times the interest of any other, lets hope it wasn't one of the mods who didn't get the discount. :)

Personally it doesn't really matter to me, though it is does sort of make you feel special, I've just dug out a whole wad of various discount cards - I've got a Just Khao Soy residents discount card for 50% off for the bearer and one guest, that's a pretty good deal though I'd feel a fraud if I used it as I haven't set foot in the place for about 4 years. Good Khao Soy by the way :D

After about 10 visits with many of my friends, the local restaurateur gave me his business card with "20% discount" written on the back to show his appreciation, and told me I could use it on all future visits. The next visit, he brought our usual order (no need for menu by now). When finished, I asked for the check, while presenting my discount card. The bill? 30% higher than normal. Take off the 20% discount, and I was still screwed for 10% more. Thanks. TIT. :)

Personally, I wouldn't care one way or another if I got 10% discount in a pub or restaurant ... Would it sway you, one way or another to go somewhere... if you got 10% off?

I avoid restaurants that offer discounts.

I've never yet found any restaurant that offers both regular discounts and good quality of food together.

Places who consistently try to attract customers with discounts, can only survive by offering less value for the price.

The discount has to come from somewhere -- usually food quality suffers.

There is no free lunch/discount.

I refuse to buy discount coupon books.

If offered discount coupons, I not only don't use them, but I avoid those restaurants, because I know they are cutting corners somewhere.

Or they first increase the price, in order to offer a false discount.

I avoid places that engage in such tricks.

(Of course, a short, limited-time promotion, like a grand opening discount, is an entirely different situation.)

What I do appreciate -- and what is offered by my favorite restaurant in Chiangmai -- is "extras" for regular customers.

I eat at that particular restaurant every week.

Almost every week, the chef will be trying something new in the kitchen -- something not on the menu.

If it turns out well, regular customers receive complimentary portions.

To my way of thinking that sort of "extra" beats any false discount.

But the majority of people like to think they are getting a bit of free lunch by chasing after discounts.

I avoid people who think like that and the restaurants that cater to them.

So, no discounts for me, thank you very much.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Do you notice when Kevin starts a thread it gets about 10 times the interest of any other, lets hope it wasn't one of the mods who didn't get the discount. :)

Personally it doesn't really matter to me, though it is does sort of make you feel special, I've just dug out a whole wad of various discount cards - I've got a Just Khao Soy residents discount card for 50% off for the bearer and one guest, that's a pretty good deal though I'd feel a fraud if I used it as I haven't set foot in the place for about 4 years. Good Khao Soy by the way :D

50% off for residents!! That comes across as over-charging tourists, to me, don't you think?

The steak my wife had at the Red Lion a couple of weeks ago was absolute rubbish and virtually uneatable.... Keithkarmann

...I don't believe it.

Maybe not the best steak ever, but "absolute rubbish" doesn't match any of my meals at that restaurant.

Actually, the opposite.

...At that restaurant, a couple of days ago, the club sandwich I ordered was superb.

One of the best I've had yet in Chiangmai.

Fresh, whole wheat bread, generous slices of tasty ham, honest cheese, plus cucumber slices included in the sandwich.

A superb effort, totally enjoyable.

And no discount.

I don't eat at Red Lion so often, because the location makes it awkward for driving thru the Night Baazar.

But I'll be going back for that club sandwich again.

However, if they start offering discounts, I'll go elsewhere, because then the quality will start to suffer, sure.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

I noticed that the 'Free WiFi' post is on over 20,000 views, which is a bit strange, and the '10% discount' post is over 5,000. I reckon I should be on commission. :D

If I was, I could have retired from the 'Free Water' post (over 200,000, I think). :D

It looks like the consensus for discounts is more against the idea than for it, or is that just me seeing what I want to see?

There is a Vietnamese restaurant near to where the Chiang Mai Cristian School on Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd. is that has a charge for sitting in the air conditioned room. Now there's a real thinker.

Edited by getgoin

There are actually several Thai restaurants that have an "A/C room" charge, including one that has been in business for many, many years. It's usually 10 baht per person and seems very fair to me that only those customers that are benefiting from the a/c have to pay for it.