Tuk - Tuks With Fare Meter Coming Soon?

JetsetBkk

A local news source has reported that a trial of tuk-tuks with meters may start this year in Karon and Kata. The source reports that the Governor of Phuket has said that the organisation for tuk-tuks in the Karon and Kata area want to evaluate metered tuk-tuks.

Unfortunately, he is also quoted as saying that the minimum charge could be around 250 baht as opposed to the 35 baht for the regular taxis in Bangkok.

Metered tuk-tuks 'just an idea': Phuket Gov

PHUKET: -- In a bid to end disputes between drivers and passengers over fares, the Phuket governor is considering introducing meters to Phuket tuk-tuks.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop said natural gas-powered tuk-tuks could also be rolled out in order to cut down on fuel costs.

Any metered fee structure would still have to reflect Phuket’s status as an international tourist destination, Gov Wichai said.

“The prices aren’t going to start at 35 baht,” he said. “It could be 120 or 250 baht, but I don’t know yet because we have to set up prices that both sides are happy with.”

Gov Wichai was keen to stress the plans were ‘just an idea’ at this stage.

He also expressed some dismay that one local blogsite chose to report his idea after he expressly asked all the reporters present at a meeting yesterday not to do so.

“It’s my sincere desire to make this happen, but that doesn’t mean it will. Nothing has started yet,” he told the Gazette today.

Many tourism business operators and expat residents hold Gov Wichai in high regard for his introduction of the mandatory insurance scheme aimed at ending disputes between tourists and jet-ski operators, the first of its kind in the world.

No previous governor had ever taken serious action to put the jet-ski rental industry in order.

Problems continue, however, with a number of jet-skis operating without the insurance.

There have also been some reports of continued disputes over repair costs between operators of insured jet-skis and the tourists who rent them.

There is widespread agreement in Phuket that imposing order on the island’s tuk-tuk industry and developing reasonably-priced transport options for tourists will be a challenge of a much greater scale, given the relative size of the two industries.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Tired of your local bank? Switch now.

http://www.thaivisa.com/hsbc

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one and only trip to Phuket was made miserable by price-gouging taxi drivers and tuk-tuk operators.

I promised myself never to return to the Island again....

Some rationalization of the pricing scheme could allow me re-consider my decision, but only if it has some effect on the transport industry in reality.

I remain to be persuaded.

A case of be careful for what you wish??... Just two weeks ago there were calls on this forum forum metered tuk-tuks ... did anyone really believe that a metered tuk-tuk service would favor the traveler?

And as far as something needing to be done... I don't see Thais doing anything to your or my benefit without it having an adverse effect on my wallet.

jmho

"Unfortunately, he is also quoted as saying that the minimum charge could be around 250 baht as opposed to the 35 baht for the regular taxis in Bangkok."

--

:)LOL! Guess my decision stands never to return to that joke of a place again.

“The prices aren’t going to start at 35 baht,” he said. “It could be 120 or 250 baht, but I don’t know yet because we have to set up prices that both sides are happy with.”

Why not ? works in Bangkok. Oh I forgot, the mafia don't want it.

I think the issue is that these operators are controlled/owned by small weathy, influential groups (OK, mafia, to use a Italian term) who have too many vehicles on the road that don't pay for themselves without a substantial price hike. The fewer people that use them the more they have to put the prices up. Since no one in government wants to break their ricebowl for cultural reasons (OK, fear), the sensible course of action is avoided. :)

IMO the sensible move is allow a free market to operate.

But this is Thailand :D

Let's see - TukTuks vs. Taxis: Lower fuel consumption, smaller engines, lower maintenance costs = Higher fees ? By this scale it should then be logical (<-- in Thailand :) ) that motorcycle taxis should run you around 400-500 baht starting price. :D

What's next? Maybe bicycle rentals at 600-700baht a day and a sidewalk surcharge for for those cheapskate tourists who try to avoid the overpriced transportation fees.

Gives a new ending to "A fool and his money are soon parted" --> "A fool and his money vacation in Phuket"

Edited by montri69

"Many tourism business operators and expat residents hold Gov Wichai in high regard for his introduction of the mandatory insurance scheme aimed at ending disputes between tourists and jet-ski operators, the first of its kind in the world."

This list of items that Thailand has given the world, been the first at, etc., must be a couple of thousand pages long by now.

From listening to my GF and her friends, the world would not exist were it not for Thailand.

I don't see the point in having meters, they've had them on Samui in their taxi's for years and are not allowed to turn them on.

Plus, they are just TALKING about meters, like when the police TALKED about making taxi drivers turn their meters on on Samui.

Just another load of rubbish to write and read and rant about....I suppose it's better than moaning about the weather... :)

on the plus side, at least it might be well-defined, which is a step-up from current scenario which is sometimes hazy - with disputes at the drop-off point.

Also, many tourists, still affected by jet-lag and on their first visit, don't want to bargain about a route they aren't familiar with, and with currency that's new to them - with people they know are trying to gauge as much as possible (with a wide grin, as an added touch).

If the rates turn off tourists, and there is less biz for the many drivers, then (hopefully) that will affect the marketplace. Perhaps another, more reasonable mode of transport will come along - though it's hard for reason to prevail when a mafia-type mentality is in the equation.

A thoroughly smart touch would be to offer 'free bicycle exchange' sort of program, but that about as likely as Thai cuisine offering healthy organic dishes with fresh foods. Bicycle exchanges (and free shuttle buses to and fro airport) only happen in more enlightened countries.

Edited by brahmburgers

250 baht starting price for these lovely TUK-UKS sounds a fair fare for when all those very rich tourists that will be coming due to the fantastic efforts of T A T! They could put a sign on the side of the tuk tuk that says for VIP tourists who have lots of dosh!! $ years ago I said I would never go to Phuket again after being robbed by the tuk tuk mafia there."00 baht for a 200 metre ride, then 250 baht to go somewhere and as they new I had to come back 450 to get back!! But then I discovered the 120 baht a day automatic motor bike. Sabai sabai I could go anywhere I wanted when I wanted and &lt;removed&gt; those tuk tuks. I visited all those quiet cleanish beaches towards Chalong, able to swim with the fish, get out of Patong in the day and keep my bloodpressure low. I admire the mayor/governer of Phuket but hey about time he took a holiday there himself and see the real issues.....Too many Thais in Phuket only go there to make a quick fortune from us and as I see it they have already killed the Goose that layed the golden egg...

"He also expressed some dismay that one local blogsite chose to report his idea after he expressly asked all the reporters present at a meeting yesterday not to do so."

He was dismayed that making a statement in front of a room full of reporters, after expressly asking all, not to report it, got leaked to the public?!?! It aint rocket science.

on the plus side, at least the rate might be well-defined, which is a step-up from current scenario which is sometimes hazy - with disputes at the drop-off point. I say 'might be', yet all-too-often drivers with meters will do one or more of the following:

>>> tamper with the meter

>>> tell passengers they don't need the meter

>>> tell 'em it's broken.

>>> add a surcharge

Also, many tourists, still affected by jet-lag and on their first visit, don't want to bargain about a route they aren't familiar with, and with currency that's new to them - with people they know are trying to gauge as much as possible (with a wide grin, as an added touch).

If the rates turn off tourists, and there is less biz for the many drivers, then (hopefully) that will affect the marketplace. Perhaps another, more reasonable mode of transport will come along - though it's hard for reason to prevail when a mafia-type mentality is in the equation.

A thoroughly smart touch would be to offer 'free bicycle exchange' sort of program, but that about as likely as Thai cuisine offering healthy organic dishes with fresh foods. Bicycle exchanges only happen in more enlightened countries.

Next: a free or low-cost shuttle service to and from the airport. Yea right, Elvira will become the Pope before that happens.

"Many tourism business operators and expat residents hold Gov Wichai in high regard for his introduction of the mandatory insurance scheme aimed at ending disputes between tourists and jet-ski operators,the first of its kind in the world."

This list of items that Thailand has given the world, been the first at, etc., must be a couple of thousand pages long by now.

From listening to my GF and her friends, the world would not exist were it not for Thailand.

Kinda reminds me of the many episodes of the original Star Trek series, where Chekoff would boast of all the inventions and innovations that were created in Russia in the 20th century.

Of all the tuk tuk drivers in Thailand, these "thugs" are the worse. I suppose if all I did was stay at a 5 star hotel I wouldn't know about these sharks, but I am one who likes to travel around in Patong sometimes being force to "bargain" with these over inflated touts. What makes it worse is that an air conditioned taxi in Bangkok is a lot more cheaper. The tuk tuk drivers easily get angry, but I guess this is South Thailand's nature.

The tuk tuks in Phuket are 'organised' that is why you don't get metered taxis trawling around there. Nobody is going to hit their income without some pain, it is just a dream.However there is no doubt the prices tuk-tuks charge damages Phuket tourism and worse forces people with no experience to rent motorbikes