Tuk - Tuks With Fare Meter Coming Soon?

JetsetBkk

with all the bs that farangs have to put up with in Phuket, why does anyone even go there.?? I am confused.. :)

Indeed why?

My wife (Thai) & I have lived here in Phuket for 5 1/2 months. Everything here is a rip-off. We intend on selling both homes & moving somewhere else in Thailand. We retired here after having visited every year for almost 20 years. It is very noticeable to us that Thais ripping off farangs on everything, has gotten worse each year. Roads all over the eastern side of the island - as well as most sois - are covered with trash in the ditches and there are so many rats all up and down East Chao Fah Rd. that it is unbelievable. Wind blows hundreds of pieces of paper, cartons, plastic bags, etc. each night - we are one street down from a 7-Eleven. As these motorcycle drivers throw all trash on the road & speed in and out of traffic, I have yet to see even one policeman in this area. Thais know that there are no laws for littering, speeding, etc. being enforced. These motorcycle drivers are the terror of the road. No. I no longer recommend my friends to visit Phuket - though the Phi Phi Islands are beautiful. The Indian Ocean is cleaner than the Gulf of Thailand. The Chinese mafia runs everything in Phuket. Whose side is the governor on? Certainly not the tourists.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How good is a metered tuk tuk or taxi when they are not switched on anyhow. In Bangkok it is in general except for the tourist rip off places like Patpong more or less okay, go to Chiangmai and you see that the taximeters are a farce a joke and a mirror of the local government. Corrupted, non working and submissive. I can't imagine that there was ever one tourist who got arranged that a meter was switched on. Given the fact that Phuket is twenty times more crooked than Chiangmai it is just window dressing.

no i have my own car (highly recommended to all in thailand), but i have used the meter taxis, i tell them to turn the

meter on, if they dont, i open the door and get out, i have done this many times until i get a taxi that uses a meter -

vote with your feet and dont use services that rip you off.

Whist agreeing with many of the posts on here, though not uninformed crap from the likes of Ingvar who has obviously only visited the worst tourist enclaves of the island, I would like to post the first positive comment on the subject.

At least the governor is admitting that there is a problem. It is going to be difficult to resolve. The metered tuktuk is just an idea. We don't know what other ideas that may have been discussed or what the governor may have in mind but it's a start.

Phuket is not going to get a dirt cheap baht bus system, nor is it going to have meter taxis at the ludicrously cheap Bangkok rates. With the sheer numbers of tuktuks on the road here, plus the well-publicised 'mafia' control, any transport solution will probably have to be based around this form of transport.

Little wonder it is erroneously pronounced "Phuk_t", instead of the more correct "Poo-get". 

Sorry could not resist

If insteead of "Poo-get" you wrote "Poo-git"

Poo= feces

Git= stupid

You would have Feces-Stupid using Thai grammar, but with English Grammar

"git-Poo" stupid feces (sh_t)! 

aren't tuk tuks supposed to be a less expensive mode of transportation, like a step down from the more comfortable taxi?

why do taxis start at 35 baht, and the dirty noisy uncomfortable tuk tuks want to have a starting price of 120 baht? When does common sense enter the picture, and why is integrity never an issue? Tuk Tuks are a low class way to get around, street vendors and their wares, and for 6 kids to pile into. Amazing, but very sad. :)

Would love to see the 'Gov' try to justify these ridiculous meter minimum charges. Keep both sides happy? He means keep the police and the tuk-tuk mafia happy. How about just being fair to the tourists and others who use these contraptions and keep those who need to use these happy? 250 baht? I'd rather rent a motocyke for the day (and that has its own set of problems and ripoffs down there).

"Unfortunately, he is also quoted as saying that the minimum charge could be around 250 baht as opposed to the 35 baht for the regular taxis in Bangkok."

Cent

"Many tourism business operators and expat residents hold Gov Wichai in high regard for his introduction of the mandatory insurance scheme aimed at ending disputes between tourists and jet-ski operators, the first of its kind in the world."

Perhaps it is - but only because it is not needed anywhere else! I have rented jet-skis in Cyprus, Dubai, Caribbean etc etc and only in Thailand have there ever been problems. I too have given up on going to Phuket

One positive must be said: Phuket beer is half decent. I will never return to Kaw Phuket because it is a dive. The people who work there are tiresome. I remember seeing a samlor driver eating a 25 Baht styrofoam box of food, whilst I walked by restaurants charging 250 baht for basically the same meal. Avoid this clap trap isle of indignity!!!

How good is a metered tuk tuk or taxi when they are not switched on anyhow. In Bangkok it is in general except for the tourist rip off places like Patpong more or less okay, go to Chiangmai and you see that the taximeters are a farce a joke and a mirror of the local government. Corrupted, non working and submissive. I can't imagine that there was ever one tourist who got arranged that a meter was switched on. Given the fact that Phuket is twenty times more crooked than Chiangmai it is just window dressing.

Some official has probably bought a job lot of meters from Thaiwan and wants to get rid of them by oblidging Tuk Tuks to buy and install one by law! Once they're installed the official makes a nice profit and the tuk tuk driver just takes the batteries out! Everyones happy? :)

My wife (Thai) & I have lived here in Phuket for 5 1/2 months. Everything here is a rip-off. We intend on selling both homes & moving somewhere else in Thailand. We retired here after having visited every year for almost 20 years. It is very noticeable to us that Thais ripping off farangs on everything, has gotten worse each year. Roads all over the eastern side of the island - as well as most sois - are covered with trash in the ditches and there are so many rats all up and down East Chao Fah Rd. that it is unbelievable. Wind blows hundreds of pieces of paper, cartons, plastic bags, etc. each night - we are one street down from a 7-Eleven. As these motorcycle drivers throw all trash on the road & speed in and out of traffic, I have yet to see even one policeman in this area. Thais know that there are no laws for littering, speeding, etc. being enforced. These motorcycle drivers are the terror of the road. No. I no longer recommend my friends to visit Phuket - though the Phi Phi Islands are beautiful. The Indian Ocean is cleaner than the Gulf of Thailand. The Chinese mafia runs everything in Phuket. Whose side is the governor on? Certainly not the tourists.

Have you tried to drive in Udon Thani?

Any metered fee structure would still have to reflect Phuket's status as an international tourist destination, Gov Wichai said.

"The prices aren't going to start at 35 baht," he said. "It could be 120 or 250 baht, but I don't know yet because we have to set up prices that both sides are happy with.

Both sides? We know one side is the tuktuk gang but the other side? It surely is not a spokesman for tourist or the people living there. So does he mean his own office?

And in his feeble mind, an international tourist destination must have rip offs and try take as much off every visitor as is at all possible! I do not believe this governor has been outside Thailand.

Whenever we go to Phuket I hire a car at the airport ( Honda Jazz 900 baht per day ) and we can drive all over the island in comfort. I do not drink until after dark and leave the car at the hotel and drink at local bars in Kata, where nobody has ever tried to rip me off in over 6 years. The bars are cheaper and quieter and the beach is free. Even the taxi rate back to the airport is reasonable. You wont see rows of tuk tuks in Kata. Why dont people boycott Patong ?? It is an overpriced sleazy sh.. hole ! Obviously a lot of people can only enjoy their holiday being completely pissed !! Rich farang equals rich pickings !

I am sure we will never see any metered tuk tuks. It aint the Thai way.

He's not trying to solve the problem equitably, he trying to legitimize the price gouging. :)
Any metered fee structure would still have to reflect Phuket's status as an international tourist destination, Gov Wichai said.

"The prices aren't going to start at 35 baht," he said. "It could be 120 or 250 baht, but I don't know yet because we have to set up prices that both sides are happy with.

Both sides? We know one side is the tuktuk gang but the other side? It surely is not a spokesman for tourist or the people living there. So does he mean his own office?

And in his feeble mind, an international tourist destination must have rip offs and try take as much off every visitor as is at all possible! I do not believe this governor has been outside Thailand.

"He also expressed some dismay that one local blogsite chose to report his idea after he expressly asked all the reporters present at a meeting yesterday not to do so."

He was dismayed that making a statement in front of a room full of reporters, after expressly asking all, not to report it, got leaked to the public?!?! It aint rocket science.

He does seem rather quaintly naive.

A case of be careful for what you wish??... Just two weeks ago there were calls on this forum forum metered tuk-tuks ... did anyone really believe that a metered tuk-tuk service would favor the traveler?

And as far as something needing to be done... I don't see Thais doing anything to your or my benefit without it having an adverse effect on my wallet.

jmho

I also remember someone calling for meters.   My first thought was exactly what they announced.  

They will announce they that song called " we had you at HELLO!"....I mean.. we are going to install meters sometime in the future, this is a typical response. .   However they topped me on this one.   The joke is still on us.   Now who's in charge...?  250 baht min and if you want a picture....that is an additional 250...so Who's yur daddy...?  

If they really wanted to take care the problem they would learn how to create healthy positive environment so that the Tuk TUk drivers could be a part of the culture instead of part of the corruption.  In addition to that, if the corruption would only hire someone to help with marketing they would actually make more money and be rewarded for it instead of criticized or chastised for not doing their job.   I can think of a million ways for the Tuk Tuk drivers to make up for lost revenue while making a handsome income themselves.    Actually the first thing I would do is get rid of all them and replace them with electric replica's so we can eliminate the noise as well as the smell.  

I am sure that someone with marketing skills could come up with a better system that makes everyone happy, but unfortunately it would fall on deaf ears.  

post-71369-1264149715.gif

Abe lincoln's timeless saying. "It is better to remain silent and be thought of as corrupt than to speak out and remove all doubt".

Actually he said fool: "It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt." ~Abraham Lincoln

Install the meters that operate on card system

charge tourists 250 baht by card system like BTS or MTR

only tuk tuks with meters are licensed to operate

meters are tamper proof

tuk tuks have GPS on them

All tuk tuks must pay tax (each month) on klms travelled and or fares charged.

Phuket Government uses collected tax to issue cards to tourists at greatly reduced prices ie 35 baht

system can be tweaked

how long before tuk tuk drivers realise a fast one has been pulled on them :)

I hope they realize that I and others will happily proclaim to all our friends and relatives (some that are fairly wealthy and travel to the region one or several times per year) to never ever go [back] to Phuket. I will infact be happy to help them travel to other places, be it inside or outside Thailand.

This nonsense has to stop or the military be brought in to protect independent private taxi services, with lethal force if needed.

Agreed. Can't you get some of your baht bus driving mates to relocate to Phuket?

(Minus the pick-pocket gangs :) )

Send them too the pick pocket gangs because we dont want the here in fun city.

Well you've got just about every other scam going why not take in another one.

I do not understand why any1 goes to Phuket, I went there once and the whole place is a rip off from taxi to Hotels and the restaurants. The food was truly disgusting and the hotel rooms are barely holes in the wall, luckily I had my own transportation but unfortunately I could not even enter Patong because of all the Tuk Tuk all over the place.

There are so many beutifull places surrounding Phuket such as Koh Lanta, Krabi and using those places as a base for visiting Islands around Phuket for diving, snorkeling or just the beaches is much better and cheaper.

Start a campaign to boycott Phuket!

Couldn't agree more!

250 flag fare???

That how much it costs from swampy out to Nonthaburi in airconditioned comfort and a seatbelt.

Abolish tuk tuks and use the local Honda/Toyota base model car that run at around 600,000 baht.

Half the cost of the 1,2 million baht that they claim the Daihatsu's cost to get on the road.

Makes no sense.

I don't see the point in having meters, they've had them on Samui in their taxi's for years and are not allowed to turn them on.

Plus, they are just TALKING about meters, like when the police TALKED about making taxi drivers turn their meters on on Samui.

Just another load of rubbish to write and read and rant about....I suppose it's better than moaning about the weather... :)

I think tourists will be happy to pay 250 baht.

Providing the Goverment PROMISE, to not let Tuk Tuk drivers beat the hel_l out of 'em. Of course that would have to be a Falang promise not a Thai one!