Thailand -- The Home Of Bibimbap Without Red Pepper Paste

Jingthing

I have been eating Bibimbap for some 30 years now. No, not everyday, but occasionally. So far I have only had Bibimbap in these countries --

USA -- west coast

USA -- midwest

USA -- east coast

Argentina

Hungary

Thailand

In all my year of Bibimbap-ing, I had NEVER been served Bibimbap without the totally necessary KOREAN RED PEPPER PASTE that you mix into the ingredients at your table. In fact, until today, I have never once even had to ASK for the PASTE. It always comes. Sometimes I ask for MORE paste, but that's another story ...

Anyway, today it happened. At a food court at Tesco Lotus Pattaya North Road, Pattaya. Therein is located the Bi Bibimbap Korean food eatery offering a variety of Korean style foods. But featuring Bibimbap. Named after Bibimbap! So you figure they know what Bibimbap is and how it is ALWAYS served.

Think again.

I look at their sample food and pictures. The signage is in English. There is no red pepper paste in sight. So being wary I ask them if they have it. They don't have it. They find the question strange. They assure me the Bibimbap is NOT spicy. I tell them that's the problem! Who are these people; who are the customers for totally wrong Bibimbap?

I am flummoxed.

Thai people? I have never seen Thai people eating Bibimbap in Korean restaurants. Mostly they get the grilled meats. If Thai people did go for Bibimbap, wouldn't they of all people want some HEAT?

Korean people? What self respecting Korean wouldn't find Bibimbap without red pepper paste horrifying? It would be like offering an American a hamburger with no way to add ketchup.

Western people? Of those westerners that know about Bibimbap and like it, wouldn't they know and LIKE that a key necessary element is the red pepper paste?

I really don't get it. I don't know how long they have been there. I can't imagine they do much business. The Bibimbap there btw goes for a very very cheap cheap 55 baht (includes some meat). But I passed so can't tell you how it was. While I was there, I didn't see even one person eat there, or even ask them a question as I did.

http://www.maangchi.com/ingredients/hot-pe...paste-gochujang

Edited by Jingthing

A reminder. The hot pepper paste which you mix in well along with the runny egg is NOT optional. Without that flavor, it really isn't bibimbap.

post-37101-1264095962_thumb.jpg

The red pepper paste is bottom right.

BTW, I have been reading some recipes and while you can use the paste as it comes packaged many people like to add a touch of vinegar and some sugar and water to it. I think probably most restaurants do doctor it up a bit. If I find a Korean grocery in Pattaya, it might be big fun to bring in some of the red sauce and SHOW the professional bibimbap people at the food court what I am talking about.

Edited by Jingthing

Some people do eat it with only mixing sesame seed oil......BUT as a Korean I do believe it is a must! to have go chu jjang.

Korean Air have a very good Chilli Paste...I always ask for couple to take with me.

Is there a korean grocery in Patter???!

Yobosayo!

And, me too!! I always used to take (ask for) 1 or 2 tubes of chu jjang chilli paste whenever I flew on KAL! Really nice taste. Kamsamida...!

BUT as a Korean I do believe it is a must! to have go chu jjang.

Of course it is a MUST! What are those guys at the food stall thinking? I can't imagine starting a Bibimbap business without knowing the most basic things about it.

Yeah I have also had the Bibimbap on KAL with the red chile paste, of course. For airline food in coach, you could do worse! Where is a Korean grocery in Pattaya? I still would like to try the food courts 55 baht Bibimbap for amusement purposes, but need to bring in the paste.

Edited by Jingthing

• 5 months later...
BUT as a Korean I do believe it is a must! to have go chu jjang.

Of course it is a MUST! What are those guys at the food stall thinking? I can't imagine starting a Bibimbap business without knowing the most basic things about it.

Yeah I have also had the Bibimbap on KAL with the red chile paste, of course. For airline food in coach, you could do worse! Where is a Korean grocery in Pattaya? I still would like to try the food courts 55 baht Bibimbap for amusement purposes, but need to bring in the paste.

I have to say, KAL flights across the Pacific are not bad at all IMHO.