Offshore Work

longstebe

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a small correction BOSIET in Asia is only for 3 years.

No its not.... its two years, It used to be 3 years many moons ago

Medical 2 years and my bosiet is 3 years, re-new it 2 years ago and expired next year.

Maybey there are differences.

I have just done my BOSIET refresher in Bangkok last week, OPITO approved and valid for 4 years.

FD :)

We are talking about TWO different bits of paper for offshore work.

Offshore MEDICAL, must be UKOG (formerly UKOOA) approved has a 2-year validity. Pay the extra and get the endorsements for the Norwegian and Dutch sectors and your certs will not be questioned. If you go to the UKOG website, it lists doctors worldwide that are certified to do these tests (2 in Bangkok). The older UKOOA method where any doctor working to UKOOA published guidelines can issue a medical certificate is no longer acceptable.

Offshore SURVIVAL, must be OPITO approved which starts with BOSIET and can include helicopter underwater egress training (HUET), rebreather certification and all other bits and bobs has a 4-year validity WORLDWIDE.

However, some SE Asian clients (such as Petronas) subscribe to the theory that the latter must be 're-certified' after 3 years. This re-certification was an invention of the survival training centers to boost revenues when they faced one of the industry's deeper cyclical 'busts' about 12 years ago. There is absolutely NO value in being re-certified after 36 months IMHO... and apart from low compensation, it's another reason I don't do any work for Petronas any more!

We are talking about TWO different bits of paper for offshore work.

Offshore MEDICAL, must be UKOG (formerly UKOOA) approved has a 2-year validity. Pay the extra and get the endorsements for the Norwegian and Dutch sectors and your certs will not be questioned. If you go to the UKOG website, it lists doctors worldwide that are certified to do these tests (2 in Bangkok). The older UKOOA method where any doctor working to UKOOA published guidelines can issue a medical certificate is no longer acceptable.

Offshore SURVIVAL, must be OPITO approved which starts with BOSIET and can include helicopter underwater egress training (HUET), rebreather certification and all other bits and bobs has a 4-year validity WORLDWIDE.

However, some SE Asian clients (such as Petronas) subscribe to the theory that the latter must be 're-certified' after 3 years. This re-certification was an invention of the survival training centers to boost revenues when they faced one of the industry's deeper cyclical 'busts' about 12 years ago. There is absolutely NO value in being re-certified after 36 months IMHO... and apart from low compensation, it's another reason I don't do any work for Petronas any more!

If do BOSIET out from Petronas or Petronas/Shell they give you only 3 years in this area.

Medical 2 years and my bosiet is 3 years, re-new it 2 years ago and expired next year.

I have just done my BOSIET refresher in Bangkok last week, OPITO approved and valid for 4 years.

FD :)

That is what "NANLAEW" said, Petronas and Petronas/ shell give only 3 years, did one myself at (MAS) malaysia airline center in Kuala lumpur 2 years ago,

good fun there with all the airline crew.

Sorry chaps have my card in front of me right now

BOSET last done Feb 08 - Valid until Feb 10 - 2 years only......medical needs to be done annually, So will be renewing mine next month

BOSET last done Feb 08 - Valid until Feb 10 - 2 years only......medical needs to be done annually, So will be renewing mine next month

Mine is 3 years, maybe some country's have different regulations.

Well, I don't pretend to have the definitive answers, but I’m looking at my Log book now and the dates shown are 13th Nov 2008, to the 14th Nov 2012! That’s 4 years. I did it with; SMTC Global Singapore.

I don’t know why they are so different. I paid for this course myself; were you guys with 2 and 3 years on the ticket, have the course sponsored by an employer? Maybe some employers want there workers retested more often as an elf and safety thing.

Well, I don't pretend to have the definitive answers, but I'm looking at my Log book now and the dates shown are 13th Nov 2008, to the 14th Nov 2012! That's 4 years. I did it with; SMTC Global Singapore.

I don't know why they are so different. I paid for this course myself; were you guys with 2 and 3 years on the ticket, have the course sponsored by an employer? Maybe some employers want there workers retested more often as an elf and safety thing.

Employers pay for it, even as accomodation and food /beverage (no alcohol offcourse) re-new is only one day.

Hi Needforspeed! You sound so sure. You don’t seem willing to believe what's being said. It’s not about who’s right and who’s wrong.

So, you’ve only got a two year ticket, some got 3 or 4 years. Maybe they saw you 2 year ticket boys as being a nightmare and not cutting the mustard in the dunk tank….. Ha, ha. Only kidding mate! I sure there a simple explanation Anyone?

Have attached my log book, just for you………….. 4years……. Have a look!

And the Medical!!!!! You don’t say under what scheme you where examined. I got 2 years, G&OUK. You say you only got one!!!!! Maybe there trying to tell you to slow down!

post-69255-1264318126_thumb.jpg

thanks for the pm steve, there is an agency in aberdeen called rigblast or rgbltd.com also raeburn in aberdeen. just google offshore recruitment agencies in scotland, i am also seeking work offshore here in uk, i will soon do the offshore survival course in aberdeen with nutek training.it costs around £1,200. for 5 day course . i am a time served welder, have worked in shipbuilding in belfast, norway, holland for 20 yrs and im also a scaffolder and hold a scaffolders card in tube and fitting, cuplok, and kwik stage scaffold systems.

i know its a long shot but im going to do this course and try my best to get work offshore, i think its the only way for me to go ,to earn decent money and get a few weeks off and on to enable me to get to thailand now and again, otherwise i,ll be stuck here in uk working my bolls off for pennys.

i would also appreciate some advice if there is anyone working in north sea.

cheers :)

dmax

www.oiljobfinder.com

May I wish you the very best of luck DMax, you're taking all the right paths, I hope you find a great contract, they're out there !!! :D

thanks maigo6 but i went onto this website and it seems that the jobs are all in the states and alaska, im looking work in uk , norway or holland etc.

Um, not sure what a BOSET is to be honest.

Been going offshore since 1991, but I have to say mainly on ships (ROV) so all I have had is a Survival cert and a medical. The rest is dependant on where and who you work for, by that time your employer is liable to getting you all that stuff surely? :)

One thing i will say is this year for the subsea side could start off very slow, as very few contracts have been awarded, well that's what my office is telling me, again SE Asia can be totally different from Africa or the North Sea. You might find your easist way in is with companies working in Africa, not many guys want to work there and often companies pay more, but be aware some places are well dodgy.

OP ,Try teaching in Thailand .Far better than being stuck with a lot of fustrated smelly males on a rig .( some of whom are as bent as a barge pole ) . :)

Sound like an expert Thaifan2! Have you worked on an offshore platform? Or is it that you had one of them special dreams, you know, the one with a happy ending last night! What ever floats your boat. Or do you actually have experience offshore? You know got the T-shirt, ate the pie and stroked the pole……So to speak. I don’t think anyone is really interested in your fantasies! Keep dreaming.

To the OP.Avoid the Drilling side if you can,the pay is not as good as other off shore disciplines,unless your a back stabbing kok sucking yes man you will go far.As someone has mentioned before try rope access if your fit,save money and get as many inspection tickets under your belt.You have the option of working on shore as well if things are slack off shore also has a better safety record than the drilling side and a better working atmosphere in my opinion.

Rope Access is only one method to get to a work site. What would the OP do once he gets there?? :) As for getting Inspection tickets? The industry is awash with inspectors with countless tickets and they still cant get jobs.

Hi Needforspeed! You sound so sure. You don't seem willing to believe what's being said. It's not about who's right and who's wrong.

So, you've only got a two year ticket, some got 3 or 4 years. Maybe they saw you 2 year ticket boys as being a nightmare and not cutting the mustard in the dunk tank….. Ha, ha. Only kidding mate! I sure there a simple explanation Anyone?

Have attached my log book, just for you………….. 4years……. Have a look!

And the Medical!!!!! You don't say under what scheme you where examined. I got 2 years, G&OUK. You say you only got one!!!!! Maybe there trying to tell you to slow down!

No medical 2 years, Bosiet 3 years, will send you a picture by this evening, i dont understand why they dont have the same policy.

OP ,Try teaching in Thailand .Far better than being stuck with a lot of fustrated smelly males on a rig .( some of whom are as bent as a barge pole ) . :D
Now there's words of wisdom the OP should totally ignore, this whacker knows nothing and has just offended many of us who have spent the best part of our working lives involved in the off shore oil and gas industry. He should think about it next time he gets into his car for a drive! Powered by poofters no less. :)

Rope Access is only one method to get to a work site. What would the OP do once he gets there??

hhmmmm start working?

As I doubt he has a degree in chemical engineering or geology its a foot in the door,it took me 2 years to get a start in the N.Sea they don't like to use green hands if they can.

Rope Access is only one method to get to a work site. What would the OP do once he gets there?? :) As for getting Inspection tickets? The industry is awash with inspectors with countless tickets and they still cant get jobs.

Hi bahji, Yes you are right, r/a is only a means to get to the work position, however I know of lots of r/a guys who are in demand and have no other qualifications. One area r/a is in big demand is ndt, thickness surveys on shipping, offshore and on. The r/a guy does the monkey work and the ndt guy records the readings, a very common practice. I would agree it would be better to have a few ndt or other inspection tickets… but as you pointed out that’s going to take time, and money. As I said before, r/a is a quick way in to the whole gas and oil industry and constrution not just offshore platforms. I'm not saying this is the end to the means, but a good toe in the door for different avenues of work in the industry Anyone who wants a way in to working in the industry, without the right skill set, this is a good way to go if you’re fit enough. It’s only a suggestion, if you fall into the above category, and are living in Asia, go to Singapore, pre book you offshore survival, medical and r/a course, plan to stay at least a week longer than it takes to complete the courses and medical, and go shopping for work, Singapore is jam packed with service and ndt companies looking after on and offshore installations, do some homework before you go, find out who’s out there doing what. Will it work? Sure it can, but you have to commit, that’s how I started back into the industry after a 3year brake. Good luck.

regarding the great debate about the validity of the offshore survival ticket...i did the "cold water" Bosiet in Perth about 5 years ago and they didn't put any expiratry date as they said each comapany/ country have different regs although OZ waters had a 2 year limit....

Anyway, rule of thumb, whatever company you work for should pay for your course...paying for your own ticket anf hoping for a start is wishfull thinking, i'm afraid.

and.... any expat working in thailand will be of no help to you as he will be more concerned of keeping his own position than bringing in someone new that could potentially be competition... :)

I have been offshore for over 9 years most of it in the UK North Sea. I'm in West Africa now and it is fine even though I'm based out of Port-Harcourt which is the worst place. If you work offshore you don't spend much time in country except your first hitch because of getting tests and VISA. As many previous posters mentioned there isn't much demand for non supervisory expats as they are required by law to maintain a ratio of expats to locals. BTW Falck Nutec has an offshore survival training center in Bangkok that does the offshore survival course.

regarding the great debate about the validity of the offshore survival ticket...i did the "cold water" Bosiet in Perth about 5 years ago and they didn't put any expiratry date as they said each comapany/ country have different regs although OZ waters had a 2 year limit....

Anyway, rule of thumb, whatever company you work for should pay for your course...paying for your own ticket anf hoping for a start is wishfull thinking, i'm afraid.

and.... any expat working in thailand will be of no help to you as he will be more concerned of keeping his own position than bringing in someone new that could potentially be competition... :)

LOL I will bet most if not all expats rotating out of Thailand are supervisors with little to worry about the threat of new guys experience means everything offshore.

^ Not necessarily if the bean counters and BKK based managers are Thai. I have seen instances of seasoned, qualified but expensive expats getting replaced by new-hire, inexperienced degreed Thai engineers because the price is right. However, most experienced Thai company managers leave the veteran expat in place for most positions where major decisions are required since the Thai's preferred way of doing things by consensus may be a liability.

Back on topic: very interesting to hear the variations on validity of certificates issued locally. I think it's safe to say that the 'international' maximum for Medical is 2 years and Survival is 4 years. Then local jurisdictions and/or company policies kick in and the lesser periods of validity prevail. I do my Medical in the UK and Survival in the US; 2 and 4 years respectively and haven't been knocked back anywhere on the planet yet.

^ Not necessarily if the bean counters and BKK based managers are Thai. I have seen instances of seasoned, qualified but expensive expats getting replaced by new-hire, inexperienced degreed Thai engineers because the price is right. However, most experienced Thai company managers leave the veteran expat in place for most positions where major decisions are required since the Thai's preferred way of doing things by consensus may be a liability.

Back on topic: very interesting to hear the variations on validity of certificates issued locally. I think it's safe to say that the 'international' maximum for Medical is 2 years and Survival is 4 years. Then local jurisdictions and/or company policies kick in and the lesser periods of validity prevail. I do my Medical in the UK and Survival in the US; 2 and 4 years respectively and haven't been knocked back anywhere on the planet yet.

Agree however I was referring to an expat being threatened by the arrival of an inexperienced expat as William Osborne mention in his post.

LOL I will bet most if not all expats rotating out of Thailand are supervisors with little to worry about the threat of new guys experience means everything offshore.

There are very very few expats rotating in and out of Thailand these days. Most expats still working in the GOT live in Thailand. Salaries havent changed but the cost saving has come about as companies dont have to pay for flights home every 28 days...I personally only know of 2 people who are in and out on 28's

Also the DMF has made it harder for expats to be granted a work permit for offshore, below a certain job level they will not be granted a WP.....My assessment these days is 99.5% Thai nationals offshore, balance are expats....and these guys have been there for years

It's still very quiet out there on the work front. Having checked out numerous amounts of web sites for the drilling company's, I now understand how difficult it is.

I'm finding it difficult for my own trade. Hopefully things will look better in the 2nd quarter.

Edited by longstebe

Pipeline game is quiet just now. Company I work for has nothing much January or Feb, but projects will start kicking off March (off to sunny Iran for me I hope). Expect the next couple of years to be quiet, but after that I hope it will pick up.

Just to join in the medical/Bosiaet saga, I thought it was based on age for how long your medical/survival is valid...when you are an old fart, you need tested more often. Could be wrong though. I did mine in Nutec at Europort and it is valid 4 years before refresher required.

Pipeline game is quiet just now. Company I work for has nothing much January or Feb, but projects will start kicking off March (off to sunny Iran for me I hope). Expect the next couple of years to be quiet, but after that I hope it will pick up.

Just to join in the medical/Bosiaet saga, I thought it was based on age for how long your medical/survival is valid...when you are an old fart, you need tested more often. Could be wrong though. I did mine in Nutec at Europort and it is valid 4 years before refresher required.

Hi saorsa! we are in the same game at the moment, Pipelines, I rotate in and out of Libya, Is there much going on in Iran? I could give you a contact in Libya if you drop me a line, maybe you got a contact in Iran. Add some strings to the bow!

As for survival, well I'm an old fart, they gave me 4 year ticket! So anyones guess. Laters