Offshore Work

longstebe

If you are looking for work in Thailand or Thai territorial waters you will need exceptional qualifications to get a job in the first place and maintain a work permit. I could see how hard it was getting back in 2003 after 3 years on the Benchamas field. Farang were being laid off then, in numbers, in favor of Thais so who knows what it's like now.

Your best bet is a fly-in fly-out position in the Middle East, another SE Asian country or even the west coast of Africa. Try the likes of Brunel (Singapore) or any other of the labor hire companies.

The first reply to this post is the most accurate. Anyone seeking work here in Thailand needs to be:

1) Very highly qualified.

2) Willing to take a serious pay cut.

I work here in Bangkok in the construction industry and recently our project manager resigned.

Within a few days there was over 10 highly qualified people applying for the position and asking far less money than they would expect to get in the UK or middle east. There are hundreds of professionals from every field living in Thailand that are desperate to get a job.

Funny enough, my company now has a policy (through past experience) to immediately delete any candidates that reside in Pattaya!

So heads up to all our Pattaya residents, try not to put "Pattaya" as your residential address in your CV. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny enough, my company now has a policy (through past experience) to immediately delete any candidates that reside in Pattaya!

So heads up to all our Pattaya residents, try not to put "Pattaya" as your residential address in your CV. :D

My cv says I live in Chonburi even though I don't look for work in Thailand :)

The first reply to this post is the most accurate. Anyone seeking work here in Thailand needs to be:

I work here in Bangkok in the construction industry and recently our project manager resigned.

Point..... 2) absolute bullsh*t......may be in the "Bob the Builder" business, but certainly not the case in Oil & Gas.

My salary is actually higher in Thailand than I was getting in the UK and the US and paying less tax to boot... :)

Point..... 2) absolute bullsh*t......may be in the "Bob the Builder" business, but certainly not the case in Oil & Gas.

My salary is actually higher in Thailand than I was getting in the UK and the US and paying less tax to boot... :)

Agree. No pay cuts in my company. We get 25% more for working in Thailand. We don’t employ “local expats”, we usually transfer existing employees in. On occasion we have used job shoppers (from a farang owned Thai company) and these people live in Thailand, but they sure don’t take pay cuts to work.

I will say that from some of the recent bid prices a few other companies have put in recently, there must be people that aren’t getting paid much. That may be the wave of the future here, but I think it will backfire in the long run.

TH

Correct in Europe i paid 40 % tax, now i get paid out off Malaysia pay 4.5% on salaris and only on the year bonus they cut 36% tax, and i recieved same salaris as working in the north sea.