Veterinarians

What is the status of veterinary care in Thailand? I know that standards of animal care are a little different there than in the US/Aus/western Europe, but are there many good vets? Will they make house calls? (I'm probably not going to have a car for a while). What can I expect to pay for a visit?

Vet's are generaly poor to very poor here. Mabye in BKK it would be a bit better but dont hold you breath. Most will come to you (in my experiance as taking a cow to the vet is a bit difficult :o ) as to the cost for "pet" care have'nt a clue but general vet bills are'nt very high. What sort of thing are you looking for?

What is the status of veterinary care in Thailand?  I know that standards of animal care are a little different there than in the US/Aus/western Europe, but are there many good vets?  Will they make house calls? (I'm probably not going to have a car for a while).  What can I expect to pay for a visit?

Good care can be gotten in Bangkok but definitely not in the countryside. (I can't say re Phuket or Chiang Mai). If you're in the countryside, expect to have to go to Bamgkok for anything more than routine immunization. Costs less than in the West.

there was another thread on this topic a while back that listed a number of vets, try searching the forum

I used to go to a vets near Charansantitwong 41 afew years ago. They were pretty good but didnt speak English. Didn't matter though as my ex was Thai and could tell them what was wrong with the dog. They knew what they were doing.

Vet's are generaly poor to very poor here.

Not quite sure where "here" is but here in Chiang Mai I cannot recommend the vetinary service run by Chiang Mai University highly enough.

It is called the small animal hospital I understand because of the success of this venture they are opening a large animal hospital, good luck to them.

They are truly superb and they speak English, they have an emergency service open 24 hours a day the prices are marked up so no dual pricing (that deserves praise in its self) and those prices are very reasonable.

Try this for size, we have a Shiz Tui bitch that gave birth to two pups when they were about a week old my missus thought that they were not well, so off the vets.

The vet took a look and said not to worry they were OK and no charge, not sure about home visits but unless you are out in the sticks you can get transport very easily here.

Thailand tends to follow the American system

Doctors don't make house calls. I very much doubt that vets do either.

You can try asking.

Costs are very low.

The innoculations for my cat cost 180 baht.

Vet's are generaly poor to very poor here.

Not quite sure where "here" is but here in Chiang Mai I cannot recommend the vetinary service run by Chiang Mai University highly enough.

It is called the small animal hospital I understand because of the success of this venture they are opening a large animal hospital, good luck to them.

They are truly superb and they speak English, they have an emergency service open 24 hours a day the prices are marked up so no dual pricing (that deserves praise in its self) and those prices are very reasonable.

Try this for size, we have a Shiz Tui bitch that gave birth to two pups when they were about a week old my missus thought that they were not well, so off the vets.

The vet took a look and said not to worry they were OK and no charge, not sure about home visits but unless you are out in the sticks you can get transport very easily here.

Thanks for the info; I'll have to write that down and put it somewhere. The reason I asked about house calls is that I might not have a car right away, but it's good to know that I probably won't have to buy my US veterinarian a plane ticket every year to come do checkups. (Hey, I spend more than that in vet bills annually anyway, so it's not that crazy.)

• 11 months later...

Folks ... there is a whole Pets and Vets subforum

I love my Vet here .... he isn't very fluent in English but we get by just fine!

There are a couple of animal hospitals that are excellent (PS ... yes Vets will make house calls ... mine made sure to give me his mobile number after our second visit!)

Are there any good vets in the Phuket area and slightly north on the Andaman coast, Universities etc? :o

We use the Ao Chalong Animal Hospital. It is located about 500 metres south of Wat Chalong in a big, yellow building. It is run by a couple who are both vets. Dr. Anucha and his wife are very good. They also have another vet who works with them on the weekends. They do do house calls but as they are quite busy, these tend to be in the evenings.

Dr. Anucha speaks good English, his wife not so much. Nice folks, good vets.

Hi There,

There are good and less good vet's in Chiang Mai. But I suppose that's everywhere the same.

I have good experiences with two veterinary clinics:

1. Dr. Nook Animal Hospital on the Chang Klan road close to the Ayuthaya Bank Tel.:053 - 818905

2. Ban Mha ka Meaw Animal Hospital along the Mahidol Rd, next to Chiang Mai Land entrance. Tel. : 053 204215

They all speak good English, have excellent service and do house-visits. Most of my customers have one of them as their veterinary surgeon.

They are also human, though, and sometimes they may not know immediately (but will certainly look it up and do their utter best to cure the disease), or very rare make initially a wrong diagnosis.

They are regular vet's, meaning they will treat symptoms with antibiotics, corticosteroids, etc.. I'm in favor of a holistic approach: looking what really causes the problem and try to cure that with regular, homeopathic or herbal med's or both.

With Friendly Greetings,

Nienke

What is the status of veterinary care in Thailand? I know that standards of animal care are a little different there than in the US/Aus/western Europe, but are there many good vets? Will they make house calls? (I'm probably not going to have a car for a while). What can I expect to pay for a visit?

• 2 weeks later...

Fully agree with the poster who said "poor to very poor". Dont look for Western or American standards, they certainly don't exist -- not in Pattaya anyhow.

There are some helpful vets on Thaivisa, but generally my experience is the standard is terrible. But on the other hand, they are cheap.

Also, don't expect the vetinerary nurses to know anything, it is not like parts of Europe where they train rigorously and are highly skilled. Here, they don't even wash their hands between 'patients'( neither do the vets I have come into contact with). And they ALWAYS give antibiotics, or try to, for anything, no matter how trivial.

Here is an example -- I took in an 8 week stray dog who wandered into our garden, as big as a mouse at that time, into a vets we use here. The vet was helpful as he could be, and gave his opinion. The vet nurse started to cut the puppy toenails while I was holding her. The dog was basically dying of starvation. She screamed, blood spurted. And this is the nurse. But probably the pay is low, so what can you expect? Not dedication it would seem.

Standards of cleanliness are zero.

Unfortunately, we have no western influenced vets near us. Some know the odd word in English. Most dont. And as to American or Europeans vets here -- not in Pattaya. Maybe animals elsewhere are luckier? I hope so.

And beware if you are going to try to spay or neuter an animal here. When our adopted stray street dog became pregnant, unbeknown to us, every single vet in town refused to perform an abortion and sterlilisation. Not for the sake of the pups or mother, but to prevent themselves receiving bad Karma.

Bring some good pet care books with you, and bags of common sense. You wont find either in Pattaya.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For Koh Samui I can recommend Dr Somsuk, he is on the main ring road, between Chaweng and the Tesco Lotus.

Sorry, I don't have the number on me, I will post it later.

PAC Thailand on Koh Phangan will also treat dogs but are looking to find a Thai vet to open a practice on the island to treat non-strays so they can concentrate on the strays and temple dogs. 077-238-375, 09-875-7513

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From another thread

Emergency Vet

Dr. Padet Siridumrong DVM

Nuern Plub Warn Animal Hospital

21/99-100 Moo 5

Soi Sukumvit Pattaya 53

Nongprue Banglamung Chonburi 20150

038 406384 5

081 437 9620 mobile

1 mile on Nurn Plub Warn from Sukumvit on the right side - go all the way inside the market - strip mall type stores inside.

Drive around - you can't miss it. Quality - 4 vets when I went in and no waiting.

Squeezed my cats ass today - abscess - yuck.

Better them than me.

that way we have a complete resource.

We have only the one vet in Ranong. During the day he works for the government, and runs his clinic at night. We just had 2 bitches spayed for 600 Baht apiece and a very neat job he made. Also our cat lost out in a fight with an unknown dog. She was in a bad state of shock. At one stage she would not eat. He has pulled her around, what more can I ask? She was almost dead when I found her, she's not yet 100%, and a lot of her instincts are still coming back. The toilet habits are been worked on. (Phew).

While in the UK I was not a cat person, this one has grown on me, and we never have a problem finding people wanting her kittens. She's one of the few round here without a screwed up tail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a few weeks ago i found a very good vet who makes house calls: Ari Pet Hospital, Matee Tangpanit. DVM. 02-271-3182. i first brought my cat to Thong Lo Animal Hospital, and they wanted to keep him for a week or so for all kinds of tests. also, this particular cat is very high strung, and completely freaks out when ever i take him to the vet, let alone leave him there.

i was lucky to find the above Vets # and he came to the house (along with 2 assistants). he also informed me that the cat needed special cat food, water and some vitamins, and did not need a whole battery of tests, or a trip to the hospital. the cat is now back to his old self.

also, i should mention that when the Vet came into my apartment, the cat was out on the balcony, and when he saw Mr. Maytee, came in and walked right up to him. which was unusal for him. and then hung out near him while we were talking. hope this helps anyone looking for a vet. i spent 2 exausting weeks looking for one.