Entertainment In Khao Yai

Big Guns

Hi only my second post here.

I have an interview in the UK for an international school in Khao Yai. The info I received from them said it as 15 mins to Pat Chong and 30 mins to Saraburi. What is the entertainment like in these 2 places i.e shopping, DVD's, cinema, reastaurants and bars.

Any info would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Rode thru these places last year and they're small. The only entertainment will be local sing along and karaoke. Stayed in Khao Yai and again didn't see much. Don't worry too much as the locals and other teachers will take care of you. You're not too far from BKK so leaving Fri. and ret. Sun no problem.

Come on, someone must know something about Khao Yai.  Is there anything to do at the weekend?  Please, please recommend some decent boozers and restaurants. :o

I think there's a place for horseback riding in or near Chokchai farm and quite a few camp grounds if you like camping.

One of our customers told me there's a branch of the Farmhouse restaurant (opposite Chock Chai Steak House) in Khao Yai park. We've been meaning to check it out for ages.

On the other side of the road, in the Sara Buri hills there are loads of resorts,vinyards,swimming areas,waterfalls,sunflower fields,papaya plantations and just beautiful countryside.

Edited by lampard10

One of our customers told me there's a branch of the Farmhouse restaurant (opposite Chock Chai Steak House) in Khao Yai park. We've been meaning to check it out for ages.

On the other side of the road, in the Sara Buri hills there are loads of resorts,vinyards,swimming areas,waterfalls,sunflower fields,papaya plantations and just beautiful countryside.

After that you have the Sunflowers, and the National Park. You can sit on Highway 2 and watch the traffic jam (any time of the day).

umm, umm, not much else

Big Guns has got the job and is heading for Khao Yai.

I reackon I'm going to like it. The quiet life sounds good. As long as I've got a motorbike I'll be ok.

Can anyone recommend a good motorbike shop out that way. I thought maybe either a Suzuki Raider or a Honda CBR 150.

• 4 months later...

I think I know the area your talking about. I had a friend who worked at the school and also have Thai friends who live around there. So I get up there about 3-4 times a year.

The area is absolutely beautiful and it's not far to BKK.

The friend who taught there, liked the place quite a bit. He had fun with the other teachers, but said there wasn't really a lot to do--they went out and socialized and had fun. It's a pretty rural.

Saraburi's and OK city. You can pretty much find everything you need there, although it is a ways from the school.

Good luck, hope you like it.

• 1 month later...

We're looking at buying some land in Khao Yai. We spent a long weekend up there a few months ago at the Kirimaya resort - simply awesome! Will be where we have our wedding banquet next year. Agree that there's not a lot to do, but as a chilling out area close to BKK it can't be beat. As a golfer, I'm happy there too! Took us only 1:35 to drive to Rangsit Khlong 3 where our house is, so perfect for a weekend getaway.

The plot we want is 42 rai. Would have got it by now but the seller raised the price from 140k to 170k per rai. In a time of rising interest rates, I can't really see his logic, so we're playing hard to get. Not entirely sure what to do with all that land - the missus reckons I should build myself a par 3 to practise on! :o

Many places close to Kow yai National Park.

The Mall at Korat(Nakornrajchasrima) Province is the big shopping mall and not far from Kow yai.

The school that you are working for is on the way going to the National Park(I been there before).

Lots of small buses(red+orange color) go to Korat downtown.

You can enjoy in downtown of Korat Province because tons of Karaoke and Bar at there.

But normally Thai teacher not spend too much time in bar or entertainment areas Min. of Education :HRD rules) because in Thai traditional, teacher should to be the good leader for next generation.

Meekat: I wonder why you can buy the land in Thailand? R u a Thai person?

I have orchid farm and home stay at Wong-Num-Keaw , Korat. 70k/rai. 18-29 oC all year.25 min from Kow Yai.

post-23302-1131075492_thumb.jpg

I'd rather ride a motorcycle than swing my putter any day. Last time I was on the Khorat plateau the roads were decent but keep in mind it's hot as hel_l. Also, it's hard to find good MC gear so bring a perforated (or mesh) jacket and well-ventilated (Shoei X Eleven or the like) helmet along with you.

Edited by Surfing Spleen

• 2 weeks later...
The plot we want is 42 rai. Would have got it by now but the seller raised the price from 140k to 170k per rai. In a time of rising interest rates, I can't really see his logic, so we're playing hard to get. Not entirely sure what to do with all that land - the missus reckons I should build myself a par 3 to practise on!

On the surface, that seems like a VERY good price. If you decide not to buy, please let me know. I would be interested. If you do buy, perhaps you are interested in spliting a plot?

[email protected]

On the surface, that seems like a VERY good price. If you decide not to buy, please let me know. I would be interested.  If you do buy, perhaps you are interested in spliting a plot?

[email protected]

Well we're hoping he'll see the light and drop the price again, but we might just snap it up anyway - been a bit side-tracked recently getting our new house in BKK fitted out. Land in the region goes for around 100-150k per rai, so his price isn't really that reasonable. Doubly so when you take into account that property prices are due to stagnate (at best) over the next year or two, what with slowing growth and rapidly rising interest rates. Re splitting - afraid I've got 4 mates here in HK that have expressed an interest, so will probably not be opening it wider than that. Do check out land yourself though; there are masses of tracts of land for sale up there. Be careful too - we were about to buy a lovely 20 rai plot until we found out that a bloody great motorway (to Chon Buri) is to be built less than 100m from the boundary!

• 1 month later...