Buying Lcd Flat Screen Tv

NovaBlue05

I will potentially be moving from the US to Thailand later this year. I will be shipping a few hundred lbs of misc personal effects like books, china and things of personal value. I have a fairly new 46" Sony LED HD TV. Searching a few online sites for stores in Thailand, it seems that the price on LED's is much higher....like 1.5x-2x, than in the US and I have been a bit hard pressed to find much over 40" listed.

I'm thinking it would be worth shipping the TV rather than try to replace there. It only weighs 50lbs and my wife would supposedly be able to bring it in duty free. I believe it is compatible with the local voltage/Hz. Any comments or suggestions relative to price/selection from those familiar with shopping for electronics over there?

Thanks in advance

Unless your TV is rated for 100 - 240 volt you'll need a step down transformer to use it in Thailand (which aren't difficult to find). True, last time I saw the only LED TV Sony sells in Thailand (believe 40" or bigger) the price was well over 100,000 baht. But you aren't likely to receive any service in Thailand if it goes wrong and its tuner may not be compatible with the bandwidth of the local broadcasting. If your sony still holds value in the U.S. I'd just sell it and get a Samsung LED TV in Thailand. How much was your sony in the US anyway?

Unless your TV is rated for 100 - 240 volt you'll need a step down transformer to use it in Thailand (which aren't difficult to find). True, last time I saw the only LED TV Sony sells in Thailand (believe 40" or bigger) the price was well over 100,000 baht. But you aren't likely to receive any service in Thailand if it goes wrong and its tuner may not be compatible with the bandwidth of the local broadcasting. If your sony still holds value in the U.S. I'd just sell it and get a Samsung LED TV in Thailand. How much was your sony in the US anyway?

Just bought a 50" LG $900 :):D:D:D

At that price yeah I might bring it to Thailand. More than double that price for 40" Samsung LED TV (70K and 90K baht if my memory serves right). I'm pretty sure it's well over 100K baht for 46" Sony or Samsung.

See Power Buy price of LED TV in Thailand here.

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/CategoryTypePage...amp;Cat_ID=2006

Edited by Nordlys

Do check the voltage, Thailand is 220V 50Hz

The RF tuner will not work if it is for the US market,

but that may not be a problem as there is not much on the local channels.

Your set will be fine with a satellite box feeding the AV terminals.

By the time you've paid for the shipping and whatever 'duty' the customs guys get you for and taking into consideration the risk factors of it getting broken in transit etc... I really don't think it's a good idea, especially if it's only 110v. I wouldn't use a step up transformer on such delicate electronic equipment.

By the time you get here I'm sure LED Tv's would have come down a little.

It's going to be some time before 46" LED TV price of any brand in Thailand will come down to US$1,000. That said sony sales told me yesterday that there's going to be some 10 new models (LED TV) going to be released in Thailand sometimes in March so you might want to keep updated with that. Your personal effects can only clear customs duty free if you do so within 6 months of your arrival in Thailand after you obtain work permit.

Edited by Nordlys

Im no electrical engineer by a longshot. The power requirements for the set give 50-60 Hz & 120-240 volts. It seems that is can use either current but would need an adapter for the wall plug. I bought a new laptop last year with the same requirements just before visiting Thailand and it worked fine.

In any event, my question has basically been answered and confirms that the cost is much higher although there are additional costs associated with shipping. Presumably, my wife can bring it in duty free as "used personal belongings" but we all know the boys in customs can jerk you around if they feel like it.

Nordlys...thanks for the link

Thanks to all

It's going to be some time before 46" LED TV price of any brand in Thailand will come down to US$1,000. That said sony sales told me yesterday that there's going to be some 10 new models (LED TV) going to be released in Thailand sometimes in March so you might want to keep updated with that. Your personal effects can only clear customs duty free if you do so within 6 months of your arrival in Thailand after you obtain work permit.

I reckon you will be able to pick up a 46" LED by the end of this year for below 40,000 Baht, So not too far off.

Im no electrical engineer by a longshot. The power requirements for the set give 50-60 Hz & 120-240 volts. It seems that is can use either current but would need an adapter for the wall plug. I bought a new laptop last year with the same requirements just before visiting Thailand and it worked fine.

U.S. appliances should plug into Thai outlets without an adopter.

Your TV being used, second hand or for personal use does not warrant duty free clearance. I did pay "duty" for my used MTB when I brought all my personal effects to Thailand 10 years ago. I chose to pay "duty" rather than to wait to apply for work permit to clear them and pay hefty storage charge.

I reckon you will be able to pick up a 46" LED by the end of this year for below 40,000 Baht, So not too far off.

That would be nice but what do you base your assumption on? I thought top-end LCD TV at 46" costs well over 40,000 baht now.

Edited by Nordlys

Your TV being used, second hand or for personal use does not warrant duty free clearance. I did pay "duty" for my used MTB when I brought all my personal effects to Thailand 10 years ago. I chose to pay "duty" rather than to wait to apply for work permit to clear them and pay hefty storage charge.

I was under the impression that my wife...a Thai national...can bring in one of each electronics items like TV's duty free provided they have been overseas at least 2 years and the equipment is used...yada...yada.

I certainly need to confirm that as ...should I be incorrect, then my original question is probably moot and I just need to plan for shopping for a new one there.

Thanks again

I was under the impression that my wife...a Thai national...can bring in one of each electronics items like TV's duty free provided they have been overseas at least 2 years and the equipment is used...yada...yada.

I'm not sure about the returnees but as far as I know Thais are under the same tax liability as foreigners be it import duty or VAT, except Thai passport holders are not eligible for VAT refund even if they do not take residence in Thailand. You might want to start a thread on that in visa or general sub-forum.

Whatever the tariff rate on flat panel TV it's likely going to be calculated on Baht value the customs department assesses its worth in Thailand should they decide to duty it, not how much you bought in U.S. It is, however wise to bring the receipt of its purchase if you still have it. Remember if there's going to be an import duty there's also going to be VAT too, and often VAT ends up as much as (or sometimes higher than) import duty because VAT (7%) is on the sum of CIF + import duty.

Edited by Nordlys

1. US stations transmit in NTSC format. Thai TV stations use PAL. You will not get a picture.

2. Get a Thai digital set top box and plug it in using a HDMI cable for the best picture..

3. US power supply is 110 Volts, Thai is 230/240 volts. You will need a transformer.

4. If you have a DVD player it will probably show both NTSC and PAL formats. Check the manual.

1. US stations transmit in NTSC format. Thai TV stations use PAL. You will not get a picture.

2. Get a Thai digital set top box and plug it in using a HDMI cable for the best picture..

3. US power supply is 110 Volts, Thai is 230/240 volts. You will need a transformer.

4. If you have a DVD player it will probably show both NTSC and PAL formats. Check the manual.

Most modern TV can accept both NTSC and PAL, my Samsung certainly does.

A Thai digital set box. Please tell me where, I have been looking for a way to get this for UBC but I'm stricking blanks.

Tell me tell me tell me....... NOW!!! :)