57 Alleged Prostitutes Rounded Up In Phuket Town

george

Firstly you need to look up the law and definition of what is meant by the word prostitution and the context in which an act is considered to break the law. It is not as simple as having sex for some consideration of value. If that were the case then any girl who goes out for a date where the guy pays and then consents to having sex would be a prostitute wouldn't they? The definition in the law is all important.

Secondly, I agree most posters condone the free choice of a girl to consent to have sex with a guy for money (= consideration) - why shouldn't people have a right to agree to whatever they want to without religious or politicians dictating how we all have to live. If I want a girl and she wants me, it doesn't much matter the reasons why, we'll both have a good time, whether or not I pay in money, love, companionship or giving up half my wordly goods. The first in that list is the cheapest although I confess I am doing all four in the list and don't regret any. And if you are inferring that the authorities in accepting the breaking of the law are somehow 'better' than the guy enjoying himself or the girl enriching herself and I dare say sometimes also enjoying it - then I think it is you who has his priorities wrong.

I take it that 'farangs' here for pleasure is also a terrible thing - atrocious that anyone should have any pleasure - let me flog myself morning noon and night to make sure I never enjoy my life - I think not.

Lastly it is not just the sexually desperate who are looking for girls to spend time with - there are a host of other reasons but something tells me they might be wasted on you since you seem to distain pleasure.

The law is mad in whatever country it is in force. It does nothing for the betterment of anything in my opinion except in the case where a girl is made to do something against her will by a third party. In that case the law is also mad since the penalties are woefully inadequate.

:D uuuuhm yesssss!

Very well put! Thanks for a concentrated bit of long overdue pragmatism & brain!

:):D :D :D :D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for them. I wouldn't mind a nice big prostitution crackdown. I can't stand it when the first thing people say when I say I live in Thailand is something about the women or sex or prostitution or AIDS. Sex will always be easy to come by here for foreigners, but it does not need to be advertised so openly and for sale everywhere you go.

yeah i hate it when people come to california for the sunshine; I mean it does rain; I can't believe they advertise it as the "sunshine state" -- false advertising, I tell you. Isn't it funny that so many people raking in the money in tourist towns from the toursists are the same ones complaining about the tourists? Hmmmm. And, if the rice fields could alone sustain the thai economy--well lets just say that they would, if they could.

If I want a girl and she wants me, it doesn't much matter the reasons why, we'll both have a good time

Do you really think that most prostitutes "have a good time" when they're working? My guess is that most of them just put on a happy face and pretend that they're enjoying it for the sake of business. And obviously, guys are falling for it.

Notice that the crackdown was in Phuket Town, rather than Patong Beach, or any of the tourist areas. I am not an expert on Phuket, having only been there once, but If these venues were in Phuket Town they would presumably cater to Thais rather than tourists or ex-pats. Anyone out there know?

NO

its to keep reminding him/her/they/them to KEEP on paying (on time.)

The owner obviously wasn't paying enough, or said something untoward and was taught a lesson... simple as that...

Sadly, as long as the wages in Thailand and surrounding Countries are so low prostitution will flourish - not to mention those who are or drugs and need to fuel their dangerous habit. All a bit sad really and perhaps because of the warmer climate it is a bit more open and conspicuous? :)

"One of the venues raided is a long-established massage parlor that specializes in full service ‘soapy’ massages by sexily-attired women who wear numbers and sit inside a glass display case waiting to be called by potential customers."

This is standard in more than 10,000 establishments throughout Thailand, many of which are owned by Police. Subsidy to income sure Beats their 7,000 Baht a month starting salary and having to purchase their own weapons! But you can bet the one they nabbed was owned by a Farang or at least was too much competition for them locally. Make an example, what only 225 arrests for prostitution in Phuket? What happened to the other 2,775? :)

a message from somebody with prejudice who has no clue about the factual situation.

No farang owner involved, this is a typical thai market.

Notice that the crackdown was in Phuket Town, rather than Patong Beach, or any of the tourist areas. I am not an expert on Phuket, having only been there once, but If these venues were in Phuket Town they would presumably cater to Thais rather than tourists or ex-pats. Anyone out there know?

Yes run by and catering to thai.

Good for them. I wouldn't mind a nice big prostitution crackdown. I can't stand it when the first thing people say when I say I live in Thailand is something about the women or sex or prostitution or AIDS. Sex will always be easy to come by here for foreigners, but it does not need to be advertised so openly and for sale everywhere you go.

Dear Newbie,

As nearly all of the prostitution in Thailand is for the Thai clientele you may upset a lot of locals by cracking down on it I personally dont see anything wrong with it at least these people are working rather than sleeping in hamocks all day long or begging.

Prostitution is a crime in Thailand (cf Penal Code).

It is one thing for the authorities to accept it, in whatever manner. However, it is quite another for the majority of TV posters to also condone such practices; as very few have expressed overt condemnation.

Most farangs are here for pleasure and not business; and should the crackdown be extended, their 'recreation-hood' (or sole reason for existence) will be endangered.

Who is worse: the prostitution of the punter? Both sleazy yet the former often does it out of economic necessity whereas the latter because s/he is sexually desperate. It seems that the majority of the TV posters appear to fall into this unfortunate category.

Can you please point me to the corresponding penal code articles.

Under the 1996 act on "Suppression of Prostitution", prostitution is not illegal, only solicitation is, under some circumstances (and pimping and purveying are completely banned).

I do not understand. There are at least 10 large soapy massage places in Bangkok, some 17 floors high. And the other stories about a crack down on who gets the profits. Farang owned bars in Pattaya you can not get a profit, illegal if sex related in any way. If a Thai owns you get charged for sex for sale. That is what they are saying they are going to do. Weird

And let us get serious. Northeast Thailand is extremely poor and those Isean farm girls head straight for the tourists and most of the money goes home. Staighten out you back yard then close the businesses.

So an underage Burmese illegal immigrant was arrested and no charges of trafficking or supplying a minor for underage sex were brought against the owners of the premises. When that happened in Pattaya the (Aussie) owner was charged with both and subsequently came to an untimely and tragic end.

Presumably these businesses were Thai owned.

the owner should be charged with both, or maybe because the girl in question was Burmese the police don't care?

=sharecropper, :) where will the Burmese Child be ,not released. in a cage at imm.... shi... human rights i 've seen it .there are none.Thai's can recognise Burmese in an instant . and here she is working in phuket, at a place mostly frequented by Thais, I assume, i never knew there were soapys on phuket chiangmai yes i had heard of soi sip et etc, Im no angel ,there are thousands of women selling their bodies here, There is no social security, when they are left with children to feed. Thai hubands seem to leave for a new girl, parents to help.brothers sisters . yet there are millions of dollars coming in to the country , but it never reaches the poor

Mel Purr who died recently, once said he had to pay 150.000 baht a month to stay open at jammin in phuket town, tea money

Yes the owners should be charged with traffiking.Who ever they are. and dont lock the child up for years

Burmese are human to.random

If I want a girl and she wants me, it doesn't much matter the reasons why, we'll both have a good time

Do you really think that most prostitutes "have a good time" when they're working? My guess is that most of them just put on a happy face and pretend that they're enjoying it for the sake of business. And obviously, guys are falling for it.

You should put guess in bold letters. Why would you post an opinion that you obviously know nothing about?

Sadly, as long as the wages in Thailand and surrounding Countries are so low prostitution will flourish - not to mention those who are or drugs and need to fuel their dangerous habit. All a bit sad really and perhaps because of the warmer climate it is a bit more open and conspicuous? :)

Sadly, how would you explain Amsterdam, Hamburg and Las Vegas? Does Kings Cross have low wages?

You should put guess in bold letters. Why would you post an opinion that you obviously know nothing about?

You're right....since the posts on TV are always full of facts. The forums aren't meant for people to post opinions about things. HAHAHAHA! :) That's funny.

You're right....since the posts on TV are always full of facts. The forums aren't meant for people to post opinions about things. HAHAHAHA! :) That's funny.

I didn’t mean it to be funny. I don’t post in the women’s forum about menstrual pain and tummy tucks because I know nothing about it. I don’t post about rice farming or speaking Khmer because I know nothing about it. Yet you hazard a guess about women enjoying sex when you have never met the women in question, or had any dealings with the places where they work. It is like saying the moon is made of cheese. That is a valid opinion but to anyone who knows anything about the moon it is just silly. You are posting on a forum where the vast majority of members whether they admit it or not have an in depth knowledge of the subject matter of women who work in night life establishments. Your post resembles going to an astronomy conference and telling the audience that the sun revolves around the earth.

Yet you hazard a guess about women enjoying sex when you have never met the women in question, or had any dealings with the places where they work.

And now you're hazarding a guess about my background. How is that any better than the guess that I made? True, I have not paid a prostitute for sex in Thailand, not that that makes anyone an expert on the subject on how the prostitutes feel. But, as a woman, I know how easy it is to fake enjoyment, and I have met countless women in my life who have felt the need to do so for various reasons. Furthermore, I used to live in a place where prostitution was legal, and I was friends with several former prostitutes, one of whom was my roommate for a year. She was open and willing to talk about her past, including the fact that she got tired of having to fake her enthusiasm with guys she found repulsive and bad at sex. So while I may not have had sex with a prostitute, I have more understanding than you think.

I put "my guess" in my original post because I recognized the fact that the experiences of my friends may differ from those of the prostitutes the other poster paid for. I, unlike some other TV posters, don't like to use statements like "it's a fact that...."

And now you're hazarding a guess about my background. How is that any better than the guess that I made? True, I have not paid a prostitute for sex in Thailand, not that that makes anyone an expert on the subject on how the prostitutes feel. But, as a woman, I know how easy it is to fake enjoyment, and I have met countless women in my life who have felt the need to do so for various reasons. Furthermore, I used to live in a place where prostitution was legal, and I was friends with several former prostitutes, one of whom was my roommate for a year. She was open and willing to talk about her past, including the fact that she got tired of having to fake her enthusiasm with guys she found repulsive and bad at sex. So while I may not have had sex with a prostitute, I have more understanding than you think.

I put "my guess" in my original post because I recognized the fact that the experiences of my friends may differ from those of the prostitutes the other poster paid for. I, unlike some other TV posters, don't like to use statements like "it's a fact that...."

I never considered your sex as part of my answer. I have managed strip clubs in the US and the women working there are a completely different genre than the ladies working in Thailand. My experience in the States in dealing with employees would be of no use at all in the same type of club in Thailand. Not that it would ever occur to me to go into that business here.

It is two different worlds. Thailand might as well be on another planet. If you speak Thai and live with a number of women who are in the business while they are in the business you begin to get an inkling of the real feelings of the women who work at that trade in Thailand.

After your last post I would agree that you have more understanding than I had first thought. Thanks for posting the detail.

Firstly you need to look up the law and definition of what is meant by the word prostitution and the context in which an act is considered to break the law. It is not as simple as having sex for some consideration of value. If that were the case then any girl who goes out for a date where the guy pays and then consents to having sex would be a prostitute wouldn't they? The definition in the law is all important.

Secondly, I agree most posters condone the free choice of a girl to consent to have sex with a guy for money (= consideration) - why shouldn't people have a right to agree to whatever they want to without religious or politicians dictating how we all have to live. If I want a girl and she wants me, it doesn't much matter the reasons why, we'll both have a good time, whether or not I pay in money, love, companionship or giving up half my wordly goods. The first in that list is the cheapest although I confess I am doing all four in the list and don't regret any. And if you are inferring that the authorities in accepting the breaking of the law are somehow 'better' than the guy enjoying himself or the girl enriching herself and I dare say sometimes also enjoying it - then I think it is you who has his priorities wrong.

I take it that 'farangs' here for pleasure is also a terrible thing - atrocious that anyone should have any pleasure - let me flog myself morning noon and night to make sure I never enjoy my life - I think not.

Lastly it is not just the sexually desperate who are looking for girls to spend time with - there are a host of other reasons but something tells me they might be wasted on you since you seem to distain pleasure.

The law is mad in whatever country it is in force. It does nothing for the betterment of anything in my opinion except in the case where a girl is made to do something against her will by a third party. In that case the law is also mad since the penalties are woefully inadequate.

Here we go again, yet another law this law that. Statute means nothing without consistent enforcement and respect of by a nation of citizens. Neither are in this country are or appear to ever have been. It has the largest scale of grey and kick backs outside Africa and still they spout on.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Day in day out the Farang traffic wardens quote this or that......... crash helmets not being worn to married expats being taken by their lady of the night for all they possess and yet still the penny doesn't drop.

It isn't a country of laws. Those who continue to rant on about it will go round in a circle from now until domesday and bore those few of us who so clearly see it enough to drive a man to massage parlours..........

i think this is more about the police force fulfilling their necessary "arrest statistics" than anything. Everyone knows that massage parlours are brothels and there isnt any real intent to stop the existence of prostitution in Thailand - it provides 70 percent of the country's foreign money influx (probably). Prostitution has been a tradition here for many hundreds if not thousand years where kings and merchants from other countries have come for their wives. This has been so since ancient history and i ndont believe it is going to change whatever news or police forces say.

Raids are so that a certain "satanee pootorn" can produce enough arrest statistics to be able to keep their superioors happy, as well as to boost pocket money, i believe.

How many jobs in the west do people do that they obviosuly enjoy? Check out in supermarket, school bus driver, bin man, traffic warden?

Luckily the Police binoculars must have been on long range when they were looking for brothels as they missed the one directly opposite the old police station!