57 Alleged Prostitutes Rounded Up In Phuket Town

george

The owner obviously wasn't paying enough, or said something untoward and was taught a lesson... simple as that...

Your tea money theory doesn't add up -- "There was no mention of any involvement by Phuket City Police"...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One of the venues raided is a long-established massage parlor that specializes in full service ‘soapy’ massages by sexily-attired women who wear numbers and sit inside a glass display case waiting to be called by potential customers."

This is standard in more than 10,000 establishments throughout Thailand, many of which are owned by Police. Subsidy to income sure Beats their 7,000 Baht a month starting salary and having to purchase their own weapons! But you can bet the one they nabbed was owned by a Farang or at least was too much competition for them locally. Make an example, what only 225 arrests for prostitution in Phuket? What happened to the other 2,775? :)

Edited by asiawatcher

Prostitution is a crime in Thailand (cf Penal Code).

It is one thing for the authorities to accept it, in whatever manner. However, it is quite another for the majority of TV posters to also condone such practices; as very few have expressed overt condemnation.

Most farangs are here for pleasure and not business; and should the crackdown be extended, their 'recreation-hood' (or sole reason for existence) will be endangered.

Who is worse: the prostitution of the punter? Both sleazy yet the former often does it out of economic necessity whereas the latter because s/he is sexually desperate. It seems that the majority of the TV posters appear to fall into this unfortunate category.

That's it, no more sex for me. I didn't know it was illegal. Now I can't drink because it makes me even more stupid than I already am, I can't do drugs because It brings out the psychopath in me and I can't eat because it makes me Fat. without sex, whats the use. I think i will just go back to NYC and pick my nose, that's the only fun I have left.

So an underage Burmese illegal immigrant was arrested and no charges of trafficking or supplying a minor for underage sex were brought against the owners of the premises. When that happened in Pattaya the (Aussie) owner was charged with both and subsequently came to an untimely and tragic end.

Presumably these businesses were Thai owned.

It looks different, but actually per 100 people in Thailand there are less people working in the sex industry as in many other countries which a much more "pure" front.

Where did this little factoid come from?

Who is worse: the prostitution of the punter? Both sleazy yet the former often does it out of economic necessity whereas the latter because s/he is sexually desperate. It seems that the majority of the TV posters appear to fall into this unfortunate category.

Nah ! Many girls do it cos they're just too bone idle to work minimum wage jobs which can't finance a purchase of the latest Iphone. The punters have the dosh, the birds need it. Simple

Once Thaksin or his proxies are back in, this'll all be history . . .

No, he has a way with those perceived to be transgressing the law or those that irritate him. He has them shot dead. Saves messing around with court cases, judges, lawyers etc. A bit tough on the innocent but the Thaksinistas don't worry about little details like that.

"There's no smoke without fire and I don't care if he was a five year old kid. He was in the company of suspected drug dealers."

Good for them. I wouldn't mind a nice big prostitution crackdown. I can't stand it when the first thing people say when I say I live in Thailand is something about the women or sex or prostitution or AIDS. Sex will always be easy to come by here for foreigners, but it does not need to be advertised so openly and for sale everywhere you go.

Maybe this says more about your circle of friends outside of Thailand than it does about Thailand itself.

All the years I worked in Thailand and all the times I talked about it back in the UK nobody ever mentioned such subjects. Maybe your friends know you too well. :D

What people said behind my back though is irrelevant. :)

Phuket ?......what a sleazy place :) ,im staying in Pattaya,. :D

I have traveled all over Phuket. Really a beautiful island. Many beautiful places to stay and to reside.

Lot's of expats living in Phuket. Nice homes. Nice areas.

Some of the punters here that visit Phuket have to get out of Patong. Patong is not Phuket.

To me the two most interesting aspects of this story are

(1) The raids were organised by local government, not the police, so that even the interrogations took place in the Muang Offices rather than police stations. Presumably the Governor ordered this for a reason - possibly related to the perceived integrity of the police force - but it may also raise issues of due process and explain why no court cases are planned.

(2) Those who applaud the Abhisit governent and its supporters for allowing a return to the free-and-easy 'nightlife' regime that they like so much are plain wrong.

Edited by citizen33

Hey, we can't have people enjoying themselves, can we? Better we bomb a few countries instead, and shoot a few wood cutters trying to squeeze out a meagre living. Oh, all in the name of protecting the rich and famous.

Good for them. I wouldn't mind a nice big prostitution crackdown. I can't stand it when the first thing people say when I say I live in Thailand is something about the women or sex or prostitution or AIDS. Sex will always be easy to come by here for foreigners, but it does not need to be advertised so openly and for sale everywhere you go.

I agree. I just sold my car on a visit back to the UK. The buyer said to me; " so where are you working abroad", I replied "Thailand", he replied, "you dirty bas*ard!".

He then went on to speak of 'what he had heard about Thailand'....I am sick of everyone tarring me with the same brush as all those who frequent prostitutes.