57 Alleged Prostitutes Rounded Up In Phuket Town

george

Surely there are more than 57 women in Phuket? Why not just arrest them all and discard a few? Were there any ladyboys included in that figure I wonder? :)

:D :D :D

A total of 57 alleged female prostitutes, including at least one Burmese girl under the age of 18

Well 57 alleged females, how many katoeys does that make and one Burmese girl - no mention of any Thais now is there?? - anyhow, 57 have been arrested, Yep, that took care of that One Beer Bar, now 447 to go,,,,,,,,,,,the Governor should be proud :D :D :D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the yeeear 95 95 (Thailand) You can only buy beer from 12:30 to 1:00 PM

Visa on a arrival will be for 1 day. You have to go on a visa run to

Cambodia every day - but you can only go on 2 visa runs (not three any more)

Then you have to get a tourist visa from across an entire ocean.

No tourist visas from the same side of the planet.

(crackdown on back to back tourist visas -only one tourist visa per decade)

No girls. No girls period in Thailand any more. 97% male population.

Christmas lights outside the bar are illegal.

25,000 Bt International departure fee.

Hope you enjoyed your stay - come again real soon

Let's hope the police don't ever find out about what goes on in Bangla Road...

Exactly. That's ground zero for the scene in Phuket (or so I hear). I agree with an earlier comment that some people didn't pay their bribes and were punished. Are you telling me that the police don't know what goes on at a soapy massage? hel_l, they're probably some of the best clients.

You mean the police are not the owners?????

"Among the evidence seized in a search of service rooms inside the building were used condoms, according to the spokesperson."

This is not an evidence that the place was a brothel but proofs this was a pigsty.

Cool! Safe sex. Where is this place? Service rooms sound good. Anyone know if they have fan rooms or aircon? I'll take either or if the service is good.

On a more serious note the trade is here to stay so so long as it's two concenting adults let it be!

No prostitution does not equal no girls in Thailand, and it does not mean no girls for you. That is, of course, unless the only way you can get girls is by buying them.

Your drunk so I'll give you a break!

Silly!!!! Phuket and prostitutes? Never heard of such a thing. lol

I just spent the evening in Chiang Mai, chatting with 6 gentlemen of the evening. Does anyone really think that they will happily go back to grow rice in the country for 70 baht a day?

Aren't we all prostitutes really? Some sell sex, but most politicians sell their principals for cash, at the expense of their nation. Who are the real prostitutes?

Surely there are more than 57 women in Phuket? Why not just arrest them all and discard a few? Were there any ladyboys included in that figure I wonder? :)

I'm sure the ladyboys were taken into "custody" by the police officers after the bar closed (to avoid paying the barfine) and then "questioned" more thoroughly before being released with a tip the following morning.

if you take a close look at the Thai law on prostitution, it appears very difficult to indict anybody, except if real coercion is exerted on the girls by bar/parlor owners.

Please point me to the law you are referring to (Thai language OK). I wasn't aware that prostitution was allowed under any circumstances.

Who is worse: the prostitution of the punter? Both sleazy yet the former often does it out of economic necessity whereas the latter because s/he is sexually desperate. It seems that the majority of the TV posters appear to fall into this unfortunate category.

Nah ! Many girls do it cos they're just too bone idle to work minimum wage jobs which can't finance a purchase of the latest Iphone. The punters have the dosh, the birds need it. Simple

direct and to the point. good job. :)

I am certainly glad they are able to capture these nefarious prostitutes. I mean how do they expect us farangs to come here with all these prostitutes about? Next thing you know they will tell us there are prostitutes in Bangkok/Krunthep the capital of Thailand! I applaud the brave efforts of these police in Phuket to capture these awful women who stain the reputation of Thailand. Here here!

Once Thaksin or his proxies are back in, this'll all be history . . .

It was Thaksin and his main proxy who manipulated the closing time of bars in Bangkok, started pee in a bottle drug testing, and glorified a crackdown that turned the sidewalks of Sukumvit into the new free lance open market.

I hope that they do not seriously crackdown on prostitution..

If they really implement this operation. Sex crimes & Rapes Cases will be on the rise 100% definately..

It will be a double-edged sword. and they themselves will be shooting themselves on their foot.

Despite the serious nature of the charges, there was no mention of any criminal charges filed against the venue owners.

I wonder why not? :)

"most of the alleged prostitutes were released without being charged. "

sooooo what was accomplished here??? the ladies got off, the venue owners got off, what was cracked down on? This has to be a bigger crock than the short skirt tight blouse crackdown.

Good for them. I wouldn't mind a nice big prostitution crackdown. I can't stand it when the first thing people say when I say I live in Thailand is something about the women or sex or prostitution or AIDS. Sex will always be easy to come by here for foreigners, but it does not need to be advertised so openly and for sale everywhere you go.

why not? Better to be in the open with the correct people being approached rather than innocent Thai girls being harrased by drunken men ( ferang and Thai )

what's wrong with openess - surely this what people around the world ate crying out for from business and their governments

Good for them. I wouldn't mind a nice big prostitution crackdown. I can't stand it when the first thing people say when I say I live in Thailand is something about the women or sex or prostitution or AIDS. Sex will always be easy to come by here for foreigners, but it does not need to be advertised so openly and for sale everywhere you go.

Oh? ......Why did you stay in Thailand? :)

Don't tell us for the love of Country!

We all know what enticed us to stay here.... :D

Edited by jboras

I wonder if Thailand is reaching the "Tipping Point" as in the authorities are increasingly uncomfortable with the LOS's international reputation with respect to prostitution. Of course it could also just be an isolated case of some owner(s) not tendering the usual tea money to the proper persons.

My gut tells me that the naughty night life scene may not be encouraged as in the past and only tolerated if it is more discreet.

Time will tell :)

97% of ***res in Thailand are used by Thais not tourists.

So it is unlikely anything will change.

It's just the Mafia's way of notifying owners of a rent review.

I guess they were doing a crackdown on foreign bar-pimps owners

as everybody seemed to be thai = no problemo

only a few brown envelopes switched hands

White envelopes. You use a white envelope! Very important. And remember it's called a /sin jai/, a gift from the heart, because you are just so grateful for the hard and dangerous work our beloved policemen do and feel a need to express your gratitude. It's not a bribe, and only a mean, small-spirited person would suspect otherwise.

Phuket ?......what a sleazy place :) ,im staying in Pattaya,. :D

ha, thanks for the first good chuckle of the day!

Once Thaksin or his proxies are back in, this'll all be history . . .

T. was as cavaliering as any of the other holier-than-thou authorities. He and Purachai knocked out most of northern Thailand's brothels while they were at the helm.

So, you deem it good when dozens of working women are put out on the street - in order to save you a tad of embarrassment when people ask about you residing in Thailand?

Prostitution is a crime in Thailand (cf Penal Code).

It is one thing for the authorities to accept it, in whatever manner. However, it is quite another for the majority of TV posters to also condone such practices; as very few have expressed overt condemnation.

Most farangs are here for pleasure and not business; and should the crackdown be extended, their 'recreation-hood' (or sole reason for existence) will be endangered.

Who is worse: the prostitution of the punter? Both sleazy yet the former often does it out of economic necessity whereas the latter because s/he is sexually desperate. It seems that the majority of the TV posters appear to fall into this unfortunate category.

Firstly you need to look up the law and definition of what is meant by the word prostitution and the context in which an act is considered to break the law. It is not as simple as having sex for some consideration of value. If that were the case then any girl who goes out for a date where the guy pays and then consents to having sex would be a prostitute wouldn't they? The definition in the law is all important.

Secondly, I agree most posters condone the free choice of a girl to consent to have sex with a guy for money (= consideration) - why shouldn't people have a right to agree to whatever they want to without religious or politicians dictating how we all have to live. If I want a girl and she wants me, it doesn't much matter the reasons why, we'll both have a good time, whether or not I pay in money, love, companionship or giving up half my wordly goods. The first in that list is the cheapest although I confess I am doing all four in the list and don't regret any. And if you are inferring that the authorities in accepting the breaking of the law are somehow 'better' than the guy enjoying himself or the girl enriching herself and I dare say sometimes also enjoying it - then I think it is you who has his priorities wrong.

I take it that 'farangs' here for pleasure is also a terrible thing - atrocious that anyone should have any pleasure - let me flog myself morning noon and night to make sure I never enjoy my life - I think not.

Lastly it is not just the sexually desperate who are looking for girls to spend time with - there are a host of other reasons but something tells me they might be wasted on you since you seem to distain pleasure.

The law is mad in whatever country it is in force. It does nothing for the betterment of anything in my opinion except in the case where a girl is made to do something against her will by a third party. In that case the law is also mad since the penalties are woefully inadequate.

So an underage Burmese illegal immigrant was arrested and no charges of trafficking or supplying a minor for underage sex were brought against the owners of the premises. When that happened in Pattaya the (Aussie) owner was charged with both and subsequently came to an untimely and tragic end.

Presumably these businesses were Thai owned.

the owner should be charged with both, or maybe because the girl in question was Burmese the police don't care?

I wonder if Thailand is reaching the "Tipping Point" as in the authorities are increasingly uncomfortable with the LOS's international reputation with respect to prostitution. Of course it could also just be an isolated case of some owner(s) not tendering the usual tea money to the proper persons.

My gut tells me that the naughty night life scene may not be encouraged as in the past and only tolerated if it is more discreet.

Time will tell :)

Personally i think its just a 'storm in a teacup' - some bar owner p*ssed off the wrong copper or didnt pay his monthly tea money...

... if they were serious about it, the could easily arrest hundreds (or dare i say thousands) of 'working girls' In Patong, or even further south in Kata, Karon or Rawai

...things like this happen if there has been some "movement" between the "higher ups",

flexing muscle, settling the quota and then everyone goes on!

How do I get to volunteer to be a "volunteer policeman" :)

Slightly off topic I know, but a cynic might say (in Pattaya anyway) you should be motivated by having:

1. a business enterprise you wish to promote, or

2. a dodgy past (or present) you wish to hide by cosying up to authority

If you were a Thai volunteer I would add that, for a fair few, "having some dodgy sideline which you can conceal or enhance by being a police volunteer" would also help, judging by frequent arrests.