French Man Arrested For Allegedly Offering Underage Sex Service In Pattaya

webfact

In Thailand, the consent age for PAID sex is 18.

In Thailand PAID sex is forbidden by law at all ages.

This is wrong.

The 1960 act on suppression of prostitution has been repealed by the 1996 act.

Read it, nowhere is being said that accepting money in exchange for sex is forbidden.

Edited by manarak

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of the passage in bold is that there will be a crackdown on 1. gay bars. 2. beer bars 3. gogo bars that have bar fines in Pattaya and possibly in other cities. So I do not believe that Gay establishments are the only targets involved! Step down from the high horse, take a deep breath and relax.

It can be read EITHER way. From a pure language point of view, my reading makes more sense. CLARIFICATION is required to settle this. I didn't write it. I read it, and I believe I read it as it was WRITTEN.

It quite clearly states that crackdown will be on gay and straight bars, what is this paranoia about?

It is NOT clear at all. Read the original text of the announcement and then my example of the purple houses. Then, if you still think it is clear, I think it is you who are not thinking clearly. It may indeed be true that the reality is that gay establishments are not being targeted, but you certainly can't tell that from the text of the announcement. Not at all.

If and when the writer of the announcement CLARIFIES exactly what he meant, and then tells us that the way I read his unclear text was wrong, well then, I will say never mind, thank you for clearing up your muddy writing. That has not happened as yet.

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder if all or some of you that are replying ask the person you take with you, home or to your rooms, for a ID card to make sure the girl/boy is over 18 and not 17 years and 11 months and 29 days old ?

A few years ago, I was in Bangkok attending a meeting.

After the meeting, we went in the German beer bar (soi 7?) to have a dinner.

A friend of mine had been watching a girl, apparently a freelancer, and the discussion started about how young/old this girl would be.

After a while, he asked the girl to come pver and he asked her to show her D card.

She took an ID-Card holder out of her purse and showed more ID-Cards than we were having credit cards alltogether.

TIT

My understanding of the passage in bold is that there will be a crackdown on 1. gay bars. 2. beer bars 3. gogo bars that have bar fines in Pattaya and possibly in other cities. So I do not believe that Gay establishments are the only targets involved! Step down from the high horse, take a deep breath and relax.

It can be read EITHER way. From a pure language point of view, my reading makes more sense. CLARIFICATION is required to settle this. I didn't write it. I read it, and I believe I read it as it was WRITTEN.

It quite clearly states that crackdown will be on gay and straight bars, what is this paranoia about?

It is NOT clear at all. Read the original text of the announcement and then my example of the purple houses. Then, if you still think it is clear, I think it is you who are not thinking clearly. It may indeed be true that the reality is that gay establishments are not being targeted, but you certainly can't tell that from the text of the announcement. Not at all.

No JT, you cant tell, but it is clear to me and apparently other posters. my last post on the subject, you are welcome to the last word.

This is wrong.

Read it, nowhere is being said that accepting money in exchange for sex is forbidden.

I Have no access to the article you are talking about so maybe you could publish it here.

The way you are explaining it I understand that prostitution is legal in Thailand then.

I don't WANT the last word. I want CLARIFICATION from the writer of the unclear text. The way I read it was proper from a language point of view. Those who are reading it the other way are PROJECTING meaning into it that is not in the language. Neither of us knows the true intention of the writer unless he speaks.

This is wrong.

I Have no access to the article you are talking about so maybe you could publish it here.

The way you are explaining it I understand that prostitution is legal in Thailand then.

well, you could have found it in google in less than 10 seconds.

but I'll post the link to the english translation of the 1996 act:

http://www.ilo.org/dyn/natlex/docs/WEBTEXT...63/E96THA01.htm

to summarize: yes, prostitution is allowed in Thailand, but under some provisions which are made in the Law.

If and when the writer of the announcement CLARIFIES exactly what he meant, and then tells us that the way I read his unclear text was wrong, well then, I will say never mind, thank you for clearing up your muddy writing. That has not happened as yet.

Your example reads as of purple houses will be painted orange.But it reads in now way that buildings,huts and bus shelters also have to be purple to fall in the category to be repainted orange.

This is wrong.

to summarize: yes, prostitution is allowed in Thailand, but under some provisions which are made in the Law.

Sorry but I still can't find the section in that act that states that prostitution under certain circumstances is allowed.Maybe possible to point to the number of that section?

I wonder if all or some of you that are replying ask the person you take with you, home or to your rooms, for a ID card to make sure the girl/boy is over 18 and not 17 years and 11 months and 29 days old ?

This question has come up a few times but I have never seen a sure answer.Do workers have to be 18 or 20 to work in bars/gogo's etc? Also the ID card cannot be relied on as I have heard that some girls use their older sister or friends ID! A little scary..I for one do not ever want to make a mistake.....Also this latest CRACKDOWN are they trying to close all bars that a farang has a share in or close all establishments that have girls that you can barfine? So what I am saying what is the official line?

Happy days

I wonder how many people on here would feel ashamed of themselves if they found out that a percentage of the girls they had flirted with, fondled or taken home for sex were actually 16 or 17. Was it not only the other day a 17 yr old Burmese girl (prostitute) was arrested in Phuket?! I suspect many of the comments posted in this thread already are simply a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Edited by Padrino

I don't think the definitive clarification you seek of this poorly drafted notice will come from this forum. Try Drew Noyes or Soi 9. But common sense tells me it is a clampdown on both gay and straight bars.

Your example reads as of purple houses will be painted orange.But it reads in now way that buildings,huts and bus shelters also have to be purple to fall in the category to be repainted orange.

Well, you are wrong. Are you a native English speaker? In the example of the purple houses, it would actually be IMPROPER to write --

purple houses, purple buildings, purple huts, and purple bus shelters.

Any editor of even basic skill would EDIT that to

purple houses, buildings, huts, and bus shelters.

The meaning is clearly that all it the nouns after the first purple adjective are ALSO purple.

But common sense tells me it is a clampdown on both gay and straight bars.

Interesting. By common sense do you mean heterosexual sense? The common heterosexual perspective is that the entire world is heterosexual unless specific mention is made otherwise. Perhaps that is the root of the poor writing of the news release writer if indeed he DID mean for us to assume that the other items were not to be read as ALSO gay.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry but I still can't find the section in that act that states that prostitution under certain circumstances is allowed.Maybe possible to point to the number of that section?

That's not how Laws usually work.

A Law will tell what's forbidden, not what's allowed.

In no country will you find a law saying "yes, it is allowed to pay for sex".

If it is not outlawed, then it is legal.

The 1996 act is in force and the 1960 act has been repealed.

Any prostitution-related crime is defined in the 1996 Law.

So... now tell me what part of the law bans prostitution in itself.

It ISNT against only gay establishments so dont make it divisive.

This guy was offering under 18's for sex, despicable and not defend able on any level gay or not.

JUst like it is not defendable that FBI staff is working undercover in Thailand. In each and any other country it would be seen as mingling in the judicial affairs of someone. If the FBI is involved it suddenly smacks as a set up. Don't be surprised that we read sooner or later that they will ask for his extradition because he was involved in something else. Still fact is that Thai police should do this not foreigners.

Are you Gay?

Does that matter?

Thanks to Jingthing for keeping this thread on the rails :)

I am not familiar with that term. On the rails, that is, I know what gay is. I don't think you are speaking about trains.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes. Always check card as had narrow escape X yeras ago (albeit by just three months) and fortunately was sober enough to re-look at card as soon as outside bar and in light. Another good point about (some) hotels checking IDs - they can stop you doing something seriously silly.

if the federal bureau was involved means, that the crime was going for long, was drastic and on a large scale - surely there would be enough evidence for the prosecution. It well might be a show case for the prosecution to stamp out on foreign bars, righly so.

There's something wrong here. :) "The Federal Bureau of Investigation" is the name of an American investigative agency. The Thai investigative agency that has a similar mission is called the Department of Special Investigation, or DSI. To the best of my knowledge, there is no Thai law enforcement agency named "the Federal Bureau of Investigation." Thailand is not a federation. The department of the Royal Thai Police that I would usually expect to handle a case like this would be the Crime Suppression Division. Of course the Thai government has no more respect for the rule of law than the American government does, and the U.S. is known to kidnap people off the streets around the world to send to Guantanamo, but I would consider it very odd for the FBI to be investigating sex crimes in Pattaya. On the other hand, most American embassies have an officer called a "Legal Attache," who is an FBI agent who is supposed to "coordinate" with law enforcement agencies in the country whare he is stationed. Could it be the American LegAt was offended at something he/she encountered while "relaxing," and then called on friends in the Thai police to bust the offensive person? :D

Please get some background BEFORE you post. This gay crackdown has been ANNOUNCED.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3291897

Please note in the recent breaking news in the Pattaya Times newspaper and on www.pattaya-times.com (and maybe on your website) that this action detailed in the article "Police Crackdown on Foreign Owned Sex Bars" is scheduled to begin February 16 or before and targets gay bars, beer bars and gogos with bar fines in Pattaya and then possibly in the other cities.

Foreign owned sex bars !! Not only gay bars..

By your logic how does that mean they busted 3 hetro soapies on Phuket ???

Anyway I couldnt give a fuc_k if it was only gay bar.. The vermin was renting out kids from 12 years old, and your defending it because its persecution of gay rights.. Thats pretty sickening !!!

With your other recent thread (do people miss not playing for the other team) and the like your starting to paint an odd picture.

Not defending the bar owners who do this. I would love to see it wiped out. I am questioning the scapegoating ONLY of gay establishments. That seems political, and it stinks.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/57-Alleged-P...Ph-t333286.html

Crackdown on prostitution:

57 alleged prostitutes rounded up in Phuket Town

There on hetro establishments.. The persecution complex is your own !!

Foreign owned sex bars !! Not only gay bars..

With your other recent thread (do people miss not playing for the other team) and the like your starting to paint an odd picture.

Just seeking clarification, that's all. Please stop misrepresenting the content of my threads, that is not appreciated at all.

Please get some background BEFORE you post. This gay crackdown has been ANNOUNCED.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3291897

Please note in the recent breaking news in the Pattaya Times newspaper and on www.pattaya-times.com (and maybe on your website) that this action detailed in the article "Police Crackdown on Foreign Owned Sex Bars" is scheduled to begin February 16 or before and targets gay bars, beer bars and gogos with bar fines in Pattaya and then possibly in the other cities.

Exactly.. Someone that can read !!!

There are so many under aged boys and girls working in Pataya as well as Bangkok that it is almost unbelievable.

The only way to get rid of this problem is to close bars down that employ under-aged staff and blacklist the owners to make it impossible for them to do it again.

It is a very difficult problem to eradicate because many of the bars in Pataya and Bangkok supply their under aged staff with false ID cards and instruct them to tell the customers they are over 18.

Furthermore some (Farang as well as Thai) friends of mine own establishments in Chiangmai, Bangkok and Pataya and they are kindly tipped in advance before a raid takes place.

This is part of the service they receive from police for paying their monthly bribes.

Exactly.. Someone that can read !!!

Regarding the announced crackdown in Pattaya in February, failing the requested clarification of the unclear text written by the lawyer guy, we shall see how this all comes down, when it happens.

Edited by Jingthing