Gcc, Makefile

Insight

Hi,

Anybody on here had experience with compiling stuff using Linux/Bash, and/or can point me to a beginners guide?

Would really like to learn but having trouble getting started.

Also, if anybody could explain the standard directory structure for Linux ("usr", "etc", "bin" (obvious!) etc directories), what each directory means.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Cheers,

Insight

Insight,

A lot of info can be found on the net! One site I found particularily helpfull was this one:

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/

These are their so called helpfiles, but they also have a forum where you will get answers quickly. Just remember to look first since most easy"the newbie" stuff has been asked before...

• 2 weeks later...

hi'

don't waste your time(don't spend so much time reading internet stuff ... for your beginning, you'll get lost ..)

the best you could do is to buy a book :o

do you know the collection "for dummies"?, beside the title, these books are gold mines :D

buy the latest "Linux for dummies" and there you are :D

later, one can answer any question with details as the question will be more precise too :D

francois

hi'

don't waste your time(don't spend so much time reading internet stuff ... for your beginning, you'll get lost ..)

do you know the collection "for dummies"?, beside the title, these books are gold mines :D

later, one can answer any question with details as the question will be more precise too :D

francois

He francois :D , nice to see you again :D

hi'

francois

He francois :D , nice to see you again :D

hi dark :D

do I have to say that I'm quite happy to see a Linux subforum? :D

I guess that you know what kind of geek I'm :D

anyway, I'll be here as much as I can :D

francois

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looked around a few websites, but buying a book seems like the best suggestion - something that can guide me along each step accordingly.

hi'

right :D

and later after digging in the first book for answers, and find that this first one is not enough for you level, then you have what some call the "bible(s)" ...

the McMillan and the O'Reilly collections, these are references :D

but they are heavy and sometime you may get lost in there :o

so, begin with a simple one and go on, and have a nice way in the linux world :D

francois

...the McMillan and the O'Reilly collections, these are references :D

but they are heavy and sometime you may get lost in there :o

Well familiar with the O'Reilly books, Francois - use them frequently in my Fisher-Price M$ world :D

Cheers for the advice tho, will try and have a shop around this weekend...