BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
BobMarleyWannabe

Three Weeks Without A Cigarette

After leaving Thailand and heading back to the states decided to quit smoking cold turkey, It has been three weeks without a smoke and in all honesty it has been rough. Thought best that I would get a fifteen hour headstart by quitting during a long plane flight but the problem is that not only had to deal with withdrawls also jet lag. I am not using any helpers like gum or patches so at the time of writing this post the nicotine has been flushed through my system, still dealing with the mental fixation. I have smoked for over twenty years, and quit once before for a period of two years, and know how easy it is to go back to old habits. Smoking is really a bad habit and after just purchasing a house for my wife and I in Thailand I really want to grow old and enjoy it during my retirement.

I am now 4 years as a non-smoker. As you know, it gets much easier. Don't focus too much on ciggies, if possible.

I am a regular smoker, it was very difficult for me to stay without smoking for three weeks. Since I couldn't control myself, I started using electronic cigarettes. It helps me to stay away from tobacco cigarettes.

After 40 years 2 packs a day a stroke will get your attention. Cold turkey for 5 years and never looked back. Don't even think of smoking. :)

Beware the possible side-effects.

A few years ago (specifically: 2:30p.m. on 6 May 2003) I abandoned an 80-a-day cigarette habit and since then have smoked nothing with the sole exception of a few decent Havana cigars on the occasions of my (rare) visits to Cuba. The nicotine craving was a serious problem during the first few weeks, but is now controlled to the point where I am not aware of it on a day-to-day basis.

The big consequent problem was that during the six years after giving up the cigarettes I added 50kg to my body-weight so that, in my opinion, the net overall effect on my general health was negative. During the last six months I have managed to shed 15 of the unwanted 50kg but losing weight is proving to be a much more severe challenge than was the cessation of smoking.

So be careful that you do not allow food (particularly sweets, cakes, biscuits (cookies) and between-meals-snacks) to become a supplementary substitute for the cigarettes.

It is great to feel in control of that aspect of your life. Cigarettes are an incredible, insidious addiction. Stay strong and continued success. The addiction was so deeply ingrained in me , that a couple of times a week, I dreamt of smoking for 2 or 3 years after I stopped. It becomes easier with time.

It is great to feel in control of that aspect of your life. Cigarettes are an incredible, insidious addiction. Stay strong and continued success. The addiction was so deeply ingrained in me , that a couple of times a week, I dreamt of smoking for 2 or 3 years after I stopped. It becomes easier with time.

Exactly true. You will acquire the sense of a taste, smell and you will totally find the difference once you stopped smoking. A non-smoker is the healthiest man.

Three months without a cigarette... after 35 years. Still a craving when nothing to do, after a good meal, when I'm nervous. And a general feeling of emptyness whaterver I'm doing.

For sure 3/4 kg overweight, but I do eat the same (or something less) of before. Only (a lot) of sugarfree mints. Actually I spend more money now with the mints than before with the fags...

More sense of smell, not so much more taste (the mint??), much less cough (still a little) and much better breathing.

My target now will be don't miss the smoke so much, get the 3 kg plus the 12 that I've gained in the last few thai years...

Good luck to everybody want to quit!!

Tomorrow will bring me to exactly 4 weeks without smoking, after smoking between 20 and 40 a day for about 26 years. Not nearly as difficult as I'd expected but I had the help of hypnotherapy which I am sure got me over the first few days. In fact I have not been at all irritable and people have mentioned that I seem happier than usual. I still get cravings but they are very easy to overcome and are definitely reducing in number. I just feel such a dipstick for not having given up sooner but I had convinced myself it would be so hard.

Edited by GarryP

I too have used Allan Carr's Easy way to stop Smoking book, but in it's Ebook, or audio form.

It's the entire book, unabridged, and read by someone I can't recall, who has an English accent.

Anyway, I left the audio program playing on the laptop, on repeat, for a few days while I worked at the computer.

The effect was 'reverse' brainwashing, and it gave me the headstart, or springboard to 'take the leap' and muster the courage and logic to walk away from smoking.

It is indeed fear that stops people from quitting. A fear that is more imagined than real.

So armed with the logic to dispel any reasoning or justification to continue to smoke (which is one of the tricks the mind plays), I set aside a few days to be by myself. Exercise is recommended, both in order to flush nicotine out of the system quicker, and to mark a new beggining in a non smokers life, thus making the quit attempt more real, but in this current 40 degree heat I'm not exercising outdoors. Instead, I stayed indoors perusing quitting forums ad naseum to keep the reverse-brainwashing up, drinking copious amounts of water, and eating fruit. I'm now curious as to how often when my body was actually having a pang of thirst, I lit up instead of having a drink of water??

(On that note: I onder how often we reached for the cigs whenever our body/mind tries to tell us something important? I suspect cigs to be an emotional suppressant as well as as an established appetite surpressant).

So in actual fact, nicotine withdrawal is not really a big deal. After a few days (and what's a few days after 10 or 20 YEARS of smoking?) it's remarkable how manageable it is.

The trap is in the mind, as is explained in The Easy way to Stop Smoking.

For some reason, which is starting to seem strange to me even after only 3 or 4 days of quitting, our mind goes on these melodramatic panic fits, initially triggered by relatively mild nicotine withdrawal. Over the years the mind has learned to throw in all kinds of panicky scenarios at the mere idea of quitting, such as; I'll never be able to live/function/drink/smile/relax etc again without smokes, thus keeping you smoking. It seems easier to just go along with it then face all that adversity.

And that is the smoking trap in a nut shell. It's a completely fabricated situation of; "I cant live or function without them" triggered by a little nicotine addiction which is then the catalyst to triggering years of self-invented, imagined scenarios as to how terrible life will be if you quit - Beat that mind frame, and you beat smoking.

Oh and the other thing - your atitude to it all is probably paramount above all.

If you mourn the loss of smoking you will ALWAYS be one of those wretched souls who yearns for it, and will probably start again sooner or later.

If you rejoice at being free, it's plain sailing after a few days.

And it really is that simple.

40+/day for 40 years till 23rd April 2010..the day of my heart attack and a 400K baht hospital bill. Not had one since then.

Miss them..YES

Using any kind of substitute (patch, gum, e-ciggy)..NO..too easy to become addicted to those

Still reaching out for the packet that is no longer on my desk/bedside table/dashboard...YES

Putting on weight...YES..10kgs in under 10 weeks

Drinking more...not noticably..1 big bottle beer/day on average..no wine..no spirits

Feeling any better for it....not yet..but it takes time

Gonna become a fanatical anti-smoking advocate..never..you do as you please

Hope I can continue quiting...are you ever sure you're over it....addictions last a long time

Edited by KKK

9 years cigarette free, after 15 years smoking 40+ a day

I had a few tough month, but I don't think of smoking anymore. I even feel bothered when someone smokes near me. But I just shut up and move a bit further.

Hold on, it's worth the effort