BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
BobMarleyWannabe

Three Weeks Without A Cigarette

9 years cigarette free, after 15 years smoking 40+ a day

I had a few tough month, but I don't think of smoking anymore. I even feel bothered when someone smokes near me. But I just shut up and move a bit further.

Hold on, it's worth the effort

Believe me, when you will say "ten years without a cigarette" you will feel a lot better.

I smoked my last cig May 3rd 2000, never looked back (smoked 20/day for 37 years)

Second best decision of my life (first one being nice Thai woman I live with since 18 november 2001, note the best decision came later :blink:)

Be strong in your mind. Are you a man or a mouse?

Smoking is for the weak and for total losers. It destroys your life and those around you. Smoking stinks. It is expensive.

I smoked for ** years but am 5/6 years off the habit. Quite frankly giving up coffee had more side effects.

If you can go 3 weeks, you can go another 3 weeks, then another and so on. Time will help.

The only way to give up is to have sustained will power.

Say to yourself as appropriate:

"I am in control of my life and my destiny and not nicotine"

So:

Do you want a good life; or do you want to be for ever known as a loser?????????

• Like 1

Be strong in your mind. Are you a man or a mouse?

Smoking is for the weak and for total losers. It destroys your life and those around you. Smoking stinks. It is expensive.

I smoked for ** years but am 5/6 years off the habit. Quite frankly giving up coffee had more side effects.

If you can go 3 weeks, you can go another 3 weeks, then another and so on. Time will help.

The only way to give up is to have sustained will power.

Say to yourself as appropriate:

"I am in control of my life and my destiny and not nicotine"

So:

Do you want a good life; or do you want to be for ever known as a loser?????????

Good advise, but the original post is a year old. Does the OP have any update on this??

Aloha

It may sound silly, butt it works, I quit 7 years ago, I also bought a 30 baht pacifier, hung it around my neck and every time I wanted a cigarette I sucked on it, looked a tad silly, but not as silly as smoke coming out of my face, I have also had 2 other people quit, doing same, remember when dealing with one of the hardest addictions there is to quit, we must take measures that work, look silly, live longer, UP TO YOU. CHOK-DEE.

post-51002-0-53435100-1296412522_thumb.j

Just over a week for me - cold turkey. Feels weird, no nicotine cravings anymore but feel a bit off for sure.

Yesterday was my first anniversary of quitting. 1 year went really quick. It has not been difficult at all. Once or twice a month I may get an itch, but never scratch it. Can put it out of mind in seconds. Best decision I have made in years. Still have a quit smoking book if anyone wants it. I have offered it several times before but no one was interested. BTW the book did not work for me even though it is highly recommended.

12 weeks for me. Still want to smoke but not going to. I started smoking 43 years ago and was a good pack plus a day smoker for 30 of those years. good luck to eveyone who is quiting.

That's been 3 weeks so far for me but been at work the whole time, hope I can still manage when I get back to drinking.

Hello, it is a good thing to try to quit smoking but I found the most difficult part of quitting was the psychological and emotional. I used the lozenges for a few weeks at the start of my quest because the physical dependancy as I smoked about 20 a day for more than 30 years, and I took a week off of work so I would not assult anyone as I was going through withdrawl. A big thing for me was learning how to live without smoking like waking up and going through the morning routine, driving, eating, and all the other daily life activities. I told myself I was a non-smoker 1000 times a day to brain wash myself because that is what I wanted to be, and I did reduce the number of lozenges every week so that I only used one a day after waking up the last week of 4 that I needed to use them. I never dreamed about smoking or having a smoke in my sleeping dreams before I quit smoking, but I have had a number of dreams when I was sleeping that I was smoking so it is like losing a friend. Good luck to all that try to quit smoking, and keep trying to quit as I hope you can get some ideas from this post. At this time I have quit smoking for 4 years and 7 months, and I have no interest in smoking and I do not think about it as much now too. It does get better in time, and I did love to smoke. Cheers

Stopped in mid April, 2011, after 33 years with smoking about a pack a day.

Status after these 6-7 weeks:

Notable Changes so far:

Im easily irritated and act more agressive.

I have gained 6-7 Kg.

Have gotten lazy (less energy).

Eat larger meals.

Nibble more in between meals.

Sleep problems.

Personal benefits so far:

Absolutely none.

Other people's benefits so far:

I probably smell bether.

Myths:

I still have not enhanced my taste buds, as promised by all experts after 3-4 weeks.

My sense of smell has not gotten any better yet.

I actually think the smell of cigarette smoke smells delicious now. I want to sniff the smell in whenever I pass someone smoking.

Future:

Planning to start again after 6 months time.

Why?

Either Im so fat and untrained, I need to get back to smoking.

Or, Im in so much better shape (physical condition) that I can take up the delicious smoking again, for a while, before I stop again.

Most noticeble in this thread so far:

Someone stated: If you can go 3 weeks, you can go another 3 weeks, then another and so on. Time will help

Thank you to R123 for that quote, which might be the one I need to get going.

:)

I stopped multiple times during my 20-year smoking habit, but somehow I had never quit mentally, and I think this is why I kept going back to it eventually after every attempt. Because I had not quit mentally I was feeling deprived and as if I was denying myself something.

3 years ago I started studying hypnosis out of sheer curiosity. Later on I also attended a masterclass on smoking cessation. The studies, and especially the masterclass, were a very powerful eye-opener as to what we do to ourselves mentally when we think in categorical terms such as "must" / "need" / "have to" etc... Sure, it is possible to stay stopped for years, but unless you actually mentally let go, you will continue to have cravings and either feel unhappy or start again. It's a mental attitude / focus thing: when you quit, do you REALLY quit? Do you quit by willpower (which is possible but frustrating) or do you quit with the power of your imagination and your belief, using positive imagery? I believe that herein lies the crux of the matter. I also think that the weight gain issues many people experience may be due to eating excessively, and that the excessive eating comes from the frustration of feeling that one is lacking - all things that can be undone when one uses the power of the imagination rather than the force of will to stop.

I know that when I quit for the last time, it was for good. No going back! Some posters have pretty much nailed it by suggesting to simply think of other things than cigarettes... it's really almost all in the mind.

I am a certified cognitive-behavioural hypnotherapist based in Bangkok, so if any of you want some free advice, feel free to message me.

Edited by lovenim

Although it may not help much to hear at the moment, but it does get a lot easier. One thing I found that helped me was to understand the nature of the addiction, making it a lot

easier to deal with whatever your body or mind is going through. If possible, have a read of Allen Carr's "The Easy Way'. I wish I'd found it when I first quit.

I also notice that when Im out, I drink a lot more now.

Suddenly there is more time on my hands when Im out, so I noticed I will consume 1 sometimes 2 drinks more per hour.

That is about 8-10 drinks more per night.

Hmmm, normally smokers have heavier hangovers, but it is reversed.

Suddenly there is more time on my hands when Im out

that's entirely a subjective experience, so it merely seems you have more time, right?

why not focus more on your surroundings and less on the fact that your hands are less occupied than they used to be?

imho, it's largely a matter of focus. think self-focused attention vs attention on external events.

it may take time to be able to redirect your attention without conscious effort, but over time it will get easier.