Advice To People That Are Trying To Quit Smoking

BobMarleyWannabe

I submitted a post yesterday about my attempt to quit smoking once again, it has the been three weeks now that I have not put nicotine into my system, and hopefully I will not fall back into old habits. I do want to give a warning to those that recently quit smoking, you are never out of the woods until you see yourself as a non smoker. I have been a smoker for over twenty years, about seven years ago I quit, didn't smoke for two years, then sitting at a hotel bar in Bangkok a guy sitting next to me offered me a cigarette, after a few drinks I resorted back to old habits once again picking up the bad habit, and if you think as an ex smoker it can't happen to you, well I have seen it time and again ex smokers pick up the habit after thinking they can handle one with a drink just to reminisce. For some they can handle it but others having that one cigarette is like turning on a light switch, you will become involved with cigarettes once again. To repeat myself there are some friends I know that can have an occaisonal smoke, but I have seen many a smoker go back to their old habits after having quit for years by just having that one cigarette. If you quit, quit and never go back, always think to yourself as a non smoker.

for me a cigarette goes hand in hand with a beer so for me its impossible to stop , when im in l.o.s anyway, here in uk i dont smoke unless im having a beer at the weekends only, in los its everyday

Thanks where thanks is due. I was a smoker from 17yo to 54yo. It took me 3 heart attacks to realise I wasn't going to ever meet any grand-children, nagging from my children and my mother and heavy hints from my Thai partner, plus a lot of time reading this sub-forum for me to quit smoking.

It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I have been smoke-free now for 22 months - I still would like a cigarette every day - but, I know that 1 cigarette would lead to a pack and then I will probably never quit.

I used Champix and never want to go through that again. YES - I quit smoking but I was a mental health mess for nearly 12 months afterwards. Champix works - but please do NOT take it if you have the slightest hint of mental illness (depression and/or suicidal thoughts).

Best wishes to everybody trying to quit.

Peter

I quit last Songkran, not one cigarette since and am STILL suffering and have not yet felt any positive effect.

Throat infections. coughing up all sorts of gunk, bloating, indigestion.......... the list goes on. I have read on the net of at least one person who went like this for 18 months, I do hope that I recover sooner than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been off the cigs now for 2 months, and have been fairly lucky in not having all the gunk, coughing and infections which often goes with quitting. So far only a few times have I had a craving, and that is generally when having a beer. I certainly feel a lot better for it at present, not to concentrate on losing a few pounds.

Have been off the cigs now for 2 months, and have been fairly lucky in not having all the gunk, coughing and infections which often goes with quitting. So far only a few times have I had a craving, and that is generally when having a beer. I certainly feel a lot better for it at present, not to concentrate on losing a few pounds.

Good luck!though you don't need it! just don't put a cig. in your mouth. Simple!

I gave up 2 years ago. To an extent it was forced in as much I suffered from a great deal of nasal, sinus, and general pain due to minor infections(living in bkk too). Just couldn't stand it anymore.

After 2 weeks my weight went up healthily. Now after 2 years I don't nearly suffer so many colds, coughs, and that terrible sinus pressure. Don't get me wrong! love smoking, great pleasure in my life, wish I could do it, but so many health benefits.

I look and feel so much better.

I quit smoking 2 months ago, helped by Quomen (wonderful, easy almost no side effects).

But sometimes I feel a big craving, although easy to control. But the disturbing feeling is the big empty, like I miss something or someone. Moreover, many problems about the throat, infections, cough and many times I feel so nervous without any reason! Hope all those will pass soon...

Oh how this all sounds so familiar... Until 2003 when I decided that I wanted and needed to stop. Problem was I could not as I had been smoking from 1964 until 2003, 30-40 cig's a day (those were the days I could still smoke in my office).

I am sure a lot of folks will probably be all over me, but I did it really with the help of Allen Carr's book. All the while I had also these visions of quitting and craving, but it did not happen. I had always thought I was hopeless, but no, after I read the book, I specifically went to smoke my last cigarette with some reverence and decided then and there I was an ex-smoker. I have not had the crave or any problem since. As a matter of fact, it bothers me now when people smoke and I cannot understand now what I enjoyed about smoking for nearly 40 years.

Do yourself a favor, try to prepare yourself mentally to read the book with interest and a genuine desire to stop, and it will succeed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-S...g/dp/0140277633

Join the ex-smokers league!

• 2 weeks later...

One further update on my own situation. I went for some health issues to the hospital and underwent a number of tests. One of them revealed a lump in my bladder.

To make a long story short, the malignent tumor has been removed and luckily it was detected early so there is a good chance for complete cure. Will know in the next visits (every 3 months). What struck me was the fact that several of the doctors asked if I smoked or have smoked in the past. I did and stopped in 2003, but it seems the root of evil had already established itself. My mother has the same tumor and she is 83 and still smokes...

Do yourself a favour, read my post above and stop!!!