Gardening In Thailand

Trajan,

see page 1 of this topic.

It's a few yrs since I bought anything from the Ekamai mob.

I do recall someone saying the location is the same but the garden center is part of a new development on that corner.

Will have a look at the sat pics on google tonite. :D

Hi Udon

Just checked out page 1 and hopefully should be able to find it now, Thanks

TBWG :o

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trajan,

see page 1 of this topic.

It's a few yrs since I bought anything from the Ekamai mob.

I do recall someone saying the location is the same but the garden center is part of a new development on that corner.

Will have a look at the sat pics on google tonite. :o

thanks udon! (noodles?) :D

• 1 year later...

Hi

For a specimen plant Blue Palm (Bismarkia) takes a lot of beating

.post-24662-1148154927_thumb.jpg

TBWG :o

Beautiful pic ! any idea what is blue palm called in thai??? available easily in thailand? live in chiang mai and would go ask them at kamtiang market.

Very easy to find, even in Chiang Mai... and grow quickly !!

I have home in chiang Mai and I'am palms collector...

You can see all that I bought since 2007 on my website http://asie.online.fr/palmiers/index-palmiers.html

If you need some information, send me email at [email protected]

Phanu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys and gals, if you fancy a day of it you must go to Klong 15 from Rangsit - don't ask me how to get there, but Thai drivers know it. It's a long way out of Bangkok - probably about 60 km but worth the trek.

Vague directions once you get to Klong 15: as you approach the bridge which crosses Klong 15 there is a square of plant sellers to your left - this is okay but don't be fooled, this isn't why you've driven all this way. Turn into this market and look towards the bridge and there will be a temple entrance. Go down here and the whole stretch of klong will give all you gardeners a field day, literally! These are the growers themselves and this place is where a lot of the garden designers source their plants. For example, one grower I found doesn't just have say 'mango' trees - he has many different varieties of mango, pomegranates, oranges - even the rare BangMod orange, which I hardly find in the shops any more so I fancy growing it at home.

The plant market has all sorts and it's huge - I was able to track down both honeysuckle and tuberose plants, which I have been after for ages. Also, they have some of the most beautiful bougainvillea I've seen in LOS. Take an umbrella for shade!

Don't worry about transporting your plants back if you are going to buy loads (this applies anywhere, even Chatuchak): you can always "Maow Rot Gubba", ie hire a pickup to deliver for you. Just ask the seller, they'll know what you mean. It'll normally cost between 500 and 1000 baht, depending.

Happy gardening!

Edited by pongosnodgrass

i need some foliage to spruce up my balcony and would even consider some garden furniture. Does anyone know where to buy such items???

You are in the Gardening capital of the world my friend. You can buy supply items almost anyplace Homemart, Tool Pro, Global House and countless road side shops. :o:D:D Go for it, :D help make Thailand a beautiful place to live and play.

Hmmm, not sure how to do that and I don't drive... here's more precise directions:

Hwy 305 east of Rangsit towards Ongkarak-Nakhon Nayok, take the left turn just before Klong 15

I found these coordinates for an equestrian centre which is after the klong

E100-56-48

N14-6-11

You want the road BEFORE the klong but maybe those coordinates will get you in the right ballpark. If you go over the bridge then you've overshot the entrance to tropical plant heaven. If you discover the exact coordinates please post them up here for others to refer to. Thanks.

Good luck.

Anyone looking for plants in the Phetchabon area, there is an agricultural festival in january every year, with lots of stalls selling at reasonable prices. If anyone's interested I'll post the dates when they appear in town, usually it's around the 20th of the month.

Last year we bought a songtieow (taxi), full of plants, including fruit trees etc, and had change from 2500 baht.

Hmmm, not sure how to do that and I don't drive... here's more precise directions:

Hwy 305 east of Rangsit towards Ongkarak-Nakhon Nayok, take the left turn just before Klong 15

I found these coordinates for an equestrian centre which is after the klong

E100-56-48

N14-6-11

You want the road BEFORE the klong but maybe those coordinates will get you in the right ballpark. If you go over the bridge then you've overshot the entrance to tropical plant heaven. If you discover the exact coordinates please post them up here for others to refer to. Thanks.

Good luck.

Am I in the right area?

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=...e=UTF8&z=16

The way you have written the co-ords is unusual. :o

Edited by GungaDin

• 1 month later...

Further to my previous post, Phetchabon agriculural festival is on now, until about the 25th of january. Lots of fruit trees, vegetable plants, and flowering plants available, also garden furniture. There is also many stalls selling all sorts of other stuff.

Further to my previous post, Phetchabon agriculural festival is on now, until about the 25th of january. Lots of fruit trees, vegetable plants, and flowering plants available, also garden furniture. There is also many stalls selling all sorts of other stuff.

Thanks for the tip.

edit!

"Sweet Tamarind Fair

Sweet tamarind is grown mostly in Phetchabun due to the cool weather and suitable environment. Farmers gain a lot of income from tamarind, also it is the symbol of Phetchabun without arguing. [6]Sweet Tamarind Fair is thus organized in Phetchabun to celebrate the harvest of this fruit during January 17 - 25. This day is also called "Phetchabun’s Agriculture Day." During the festival, farmers bring their sweet tamarinds to sell at reasonable price at Phetchabun’s provincial athletic field where contests of sweet tamarinds and other crops are held. Besides this, there are other agricultural exhibitions and entertainments organized during the event"

Source: Wiki.

• 5 months later...

I saw a few photos of the parrot flower. Does anyone grow this or even seen this plant. It's native to Thailand and forbidden to export. But it looks like it grows on a vine and would look great along side our porch.

I saw a few photos of the parrot flower. Does anyone grow this or even seen this plant. It's native to Thailand and forbidden to export. But it looks like it grows on a vine and would look great along side our porch.

Not moi, I read about it just last week, very unusual flower.

Does anyone know the Thai names for

Mulberry tree

Passionfruit vine

Bougainvillea

TIA :)

gd

Mulberry tree - หม่อน "mon/bai mon" mine get attacked by caterpillars quite often!

Passionfruit vine - เสาวรส "saowarot"

Bougainvillea - เฟื่องฟ้า "fuang fah"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...