Gardening In Thailand

I got this out of the back page of the Nation a couple of weeks back

FOR THOSE WHO LOVE NATURE AND ARE LOOKING FOR

TREES TO DECORATE THE GARDEN , THIS SITE IS RECCOMMENDED. IT PROVIDES A WIDE RANGE OF TREES ,ESPECIALLY LOCAL TREES, AT AFFORDABLE PRICES.

www.papad-garden.com

The wednesday market at Chatuchat is great lots of plants.

Take a taxi around that area and see all the garden statues and fountains.

I have almost finished building my house and I'll be taking a pocket full of money hiring a pickup truck and going down.

Joe

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like a tree :o

Permaculture       Yes, I have a lot to learn about it :D why?

I've got alot to learn about PERMAculture too. I think that one of the main ideas is to plant trees because their PERMAnent. Trees that fix nitrogen are the best because they have bacteria that live in special nodules that grow on the roots of the trees and these bacteria take the nitrogen from the air (which is unusable by plants) and make it into ammonium which is used by plants. This process adds plant useable nitrogen to your garden/farm. You plant your vegetables and smaller plants under, around, between the trees.

The word "permaculture" was coined in 1978 by Bill Mollison, an Australian ecologist, and one of his students, David Holmgren. It is a contraction of "permanent agriculture" or "permanent culture."

Permaculture is about designing ecological human habitats and food production systems. It is a land use and community building movement which strives for the harmonious integration of human dwellings, microclimate, annual and perennial plants, animals, soils, and water into stable, productive communities. The focus is not on these elements themselves, but rather on the relationships created among them by the way we place them in the landscape. This synergy is further enhanced by mimicking patterns found in nature.

Now we know!!!! Thanks for the info.

Chownah

I got this out of the back page of the Nation a couple of weeks back

FOR THOSE WHO LOVE NATURE AND ARE LOOKING FOR

TREES TO DECORATE THE GARDEN , THIS SITE IS RECCOMMENDED. IT PROVIDES A WIDE RANGE OF TREES ,ESPECIALLY LOCAL TREES, AT AFFORDABLE PRICES.

www.papad-garden.com

The wednesday market at Chatuchat is great  lots of plants.

Take a taxi around  that area and see all the garden statues and fountains.

I have almost finished building my house and I'll be taking a pocket full of money hiring a pickup truck and going down.

Joe

G'day Joe

it's good to see you back on the board :D

A good link, maybe someone could translate the address at http://www.papad-garden.com/page17.htm for us, it looks good, just wish it was in English or Strine :o

Regular gardeners: please PM a mod if any idiots start talking about drugs in this thread.

Idiots talking about drugs: You will get banned. No excuses.

:o

No problems RDN... there was 1 post yesterday, but everyone here had the sense to ignore it.

:D

Please educate the ignorant.

I was under the impression that Cow Dung could not be used, what does leaving it 3 months do ?

Answered already by Jai Dee above.

But important that is kept moist.

Also needs to be netted if you have chickens around. They will spread it everywhere!

If you have a place where you can leave it for a year, mix it 50/50 with rice husks if available. This will have to be absolutely soaked initially and will attract chickens from miles around. This mix is great for containers and pots. If you can save and add crushed eggshells, even better. In fact crushed eggshells in any soil/compost mix helps with the Ph factor. Unless of course the plant prefers acidity.

Adding to my post above. Sometimes is better to germinate seeds in plastic bags. I have put in seeds, only to have them stolen by ants! Of course, you dont realise this and wonder why seeds are not germinating.

Hi Loong,

have you or anyone tried to grow English Parsley?

I have a dozen packets to try.

The humidity in LoS won't help.

I hope I'm wrong. :o

Hi Loong,

I hope I'm wrong. 

I haven't tried English Parsley only Thai.

This grows really easily, but have no idea about the English variety.

Sorry - can't help on that one

My girlfriend is very practical. If you can't eat it it isn't of much value. Of all her plants I doubt that one in ten is a flower. I had a planter built around the back porch and she wondered if it would be OK to plant vegetables in it. The planter has watermelon, tomatoes, mint, some other edible weeds and of all things onions. I did think she would enjoy some flowers but she says the watermelons and tomatoes have flowers too. We have two rai. The back part has corn scattered all over between the fruit trees and cucumbers are taking over all the rest. And I thought vegetables should be planted in neat straight rows. :o

My girlfriend is very practical. If you can't eat it it isn't of much value. Of all her plants I doubt that one in ten is a flower. I had a planter built around the back porch and she wondered if it would be OK to plant vegetables in it. The planter has watermelon, tomatoes, mint, some other edible weeds and of all things onions. I did think she would enjoy some flowers but she says the watermelons and tomatoes have flowers too. We have two rai. The back part has corn scattered all over between the fruit trees and cucumbers are taking over all the rest. And I thought vegetables should be planted in neat straight rows.  :o

Tell her that tomatoes grow better and tastier if grown in companionship with marigolds. This is a fact, not B**s**t.

You will at least have a chance to get some flowers in there.

Sunflower seeds can be used to feed the chickens, so another useful flower.

I will definitely look for some marigolds. We don't have any chickens because they eat her plants. She kept the slingshot handy until we finished the two meter high wall around the property. These tomatoes are from seeds a friend brought from Florida. The original crop were little rubber like tennis ball size. I have no idea how the new crop will turn out. My girlfriend told me they wouldn't be any good unless I plant them late October because Loei is too hot now. She is probably right as usual. :o

My girlfriend is very practical. If you can't eat it it isn't of much value. Of all her plants I doubt that one in ten is a flower. I had a planter built around the back porch and she wondered if it would be OK to plant vegetables in it. The planter has watermelon, tomatoes, mint, some other edible weeds and of all things onions. I did think she would enjoy some flowers but she says the watermelons and tomatoes have flowers too. We have two rai. The back part has corn scattered all over between the fruit trees and cucumbers are taking over all the rest. And I thought vegetables should be planted in neat straight rows.  :D

Tell her that tomatoes grow better and tastier if grown in companionship with marigolds. This is a fact, not B**s**t.

You will at least have a chance to get some flowers in there.

Sunflower seeds can be used to feed the chickens, so another useful flower.

Here's the address for Joe's link ( www.papad-garden.com )

1 )Address : 7 Moo 1, T. Bang Pla Kod, A. Ong-karak, Nakorn Nayok 26120

2)"Saun Pa Phad" 7 moo.11 Bangplakod Onglarak Nakhonnayok 2160

Looks like the Korat area?

(Thanks to Bambina & LC for the translation :o

Hi Loong,

I hope I'm wrong. :o

I'm not experienced at growing English Parsley, but have asked around. Apparently parsley is not that easy to get to germinate in the UK, can take a month, so imagine that the heat in Thailand would make it even more difficult.

I would suggest that you give it a go as you have so many packets, but it does depend how keen you are to grow it as to how much effort you are prepared to put in.

It may be worth trying to start it indoors. If you have an air conditioned room, probably better.

I've had to come back to UK to sort some things out for 2 months (if I can stand it here for that long). When I get back home, will be much cooler and am going to try again with the pansies and violas as I love their cheerful faces. I will be experimenting germinating them indoors in trays floating in trays of water in an attempt to keep a more stable lower temperature. I have no idea whether this will work or not, but I will give it a go.

Incidently, I keep all my seeds in the fridge as they deteriorate quickly in the heat. Also can mimic winter as some seeds do need to have a period of cold before they will germinate.

Please keep us informed of your successes and (not too many, I hope) failures

• 9 months later...

I know this seems like a daft question, so apologies, but where is a good place to buy plants. I've just moved to Bangkok (Thonglor area) from the north and have had no luck finding either indoor or outdoor plants. Neither of the Tesco/Carrefour complexes have anything suitable and I'm not sure where else to look.

Cheers

There are also markets opposite the weekend market during the daytime. Not sure the name of the street but you can see it when you look across the street. Believe there is also a plant market out by Future Park, can't remember the name of the market (Thai Market??) but it is out by Future Park, opposite side of the highway.

And Chatuchak operates Saturdays as well as Sundays. Go early in the morning if you have to go on the weekend but I'd recommend the wed. market, it is all plants! Wish I could go there with a big ten wheel truck :o

Thewet market has cheap plants. Open all week.

Chatuchak market has cheap furniture.

If you have a weekend to spare, go up to 3 Pagodas Pass in Sangkhla Buri. Beautiful stuff up there. Sure, you need a pickup truck to bring it back, but it is worth the trip just for the sceney, even if you don't buy anything.

As an example, you can pick up solid teak outdoor settings (they look like tree trunks sort of) for about 10,000Baht (I think). Sounds expensive, but they are really lovely. Weigh a ton, but look great.

I live in Thewet , the plant market is good, buy i do not agree it is cheaper as chatuchak.

my friend who live in Tawet go to Chatuchak ( weekend market ) to buy his plants , he go on wednesday , wholesale / half price .

LOL did not check the date of the post , 2 years old ..

Edited by simcity

Many thanks for the suggestions - I see other plant threads have been revived too, which has been useful. A trip to Chatuchak yesterday was enough to find out it is only open on Wednesdays & Thursdays!

Will try the ultra convenient Ekkamai joint today and report back.

Cheers

Ok, found the one on Ekkamai and bought some great plants. The joint's not enormous, but they have more than enough for us. It's not actually on soi 6 btw, but the other side of the Big C complex. Thanks again for the help.

Many thanks for all this useful advice - when my balcony is lush with flora I will invite you all over for G and Ts. By the way do you think any of these places will deliver (for a fee of course)?

Hi All

Did anyone get G & T's on the balcony. :D

:D I must of missed it :D

TBWG :o

I'm an avid gardener/landscaper, and one of the perks of living in Thailand for me would be to have a tropical garden, but when I was over there I didn't see any plant shops. I'm sure there are some, but where? Is there an assortment of non-native/non-invasive species? What about rare plants?

Another question -- does a nice garden add equity to your home in Thailand like it does in the States and the UK?

d:ph34r: darling.. thre are plant shops everywhere

I'm an avid gardener/landscaper, and one of the perks of living in Thailand for me would be to have a tropical garden, but when I was over there I didn't see any plant shops. I'm sure there are some, but where? Is there an assortment of non-native/non-invasive species? What about rare plants?

Another question -- does a nice garden add equity to your home in Thailand like it does in the States and the UK?

d:ph34r: darling.. thre are plant shops everywhere

Hi

For a specimen plant Blue Palm (Bismarkia) takes a lot of beating

.post-24662-1148154927_thumb.jpg

TBWG :o

Ok, found the one on Ekkamai and bought some great plants. The joint's not enormous, but they have more than enough for us. It's not actually on soi 6 btw, but the other side of the Big C complex. Thanks again for the help.

They used to be on soi 6 (occupying about ½ of the plot that is now Big C) but moved to that new location about 2 years ago. They used to be a lot cheaper as well. There is another one across ekamai, 100 meters further down in an old gas station.