Koh Samet

dickie58

Can anyone recomend a nice hotel/bungalow resort in Koh Samet, for a couple of nights next month, max budget about 2000 baht a night

Don't want to be to isolated, nice to be near a few restaurants, but don't want it too noisy.

Do they still cut off the electric there in the day time?

Long time since i've been there!!

Is there anywhere secure to leave your car in Ban Phe, or is it better to get one of the tourist coaches from Pattaya??

i usually leave my car at the pier, I believe they have security there. I have never had a problem.

For hotels, I cant recommend any right now, I too have not been there in about 2 years. I usually stay at I believe it's called white sands. 900 baht per night (2 years ago) for aircon room. I believe 500 or 600 for a fan room. Right on the beach not too loud plenty of restaurants and bars around. You can walk down to the main street where they have 7-11 and internet cafe. The place is ok, I would say 3 star place, not great but convenient to everything.

i usually leave my car at the pier, I believe they have security there. I have never had a problem.

For hotels, I cant recommend any right now, I too have not been there in about 2 years. I usually stay at I believe it's called white sands. 900 baht per night (2 years ago) for aircon room. I believe 500 or 600 for a fan room. Right on the beach not too loud plenty of restaurants and bars around. You can walk down to the main street where they have 7-11 and internet cafe. The place is ok, I would say 3 star place, not great but convenient to everything.

Eric,

Thanks for that info, i've not been to Koh Samet in over 10 years.

I looked up the place you recomended, but top a/c room now 1600 bht a night, they also say on there site that electric only works, 17.00pm to 09.00am, not putting up with that i'm afraid

A mate of mine who lives here & goes there regular recomended me this place, at 2500bht a night not cheap, but it does look nice:

http://www.samedvilla.com/

Seems like there are a few secure car parks at Ban Phe, so will drive down there & leave the car in one of those, i don't like those Ptty mini buses.

Thanks

Dickie

Yes, I often stay at Samed Villa (not to be confused with Samet Ville...two separate hotels), and it is very nice. If you look at all the bungalow types, I believe that they have some for 1600+ during high season (depending on the size, proximity to beach, etc.). So many of the hotels on Koh Samet seem overpriced compared to bungalows/hotels of similar quality on other islands.

I'm just curious....why don't you want to put up with no electricity during the day? Won't you be out at the beach or out doing something?

Yes, I often stay at Samed Villa (not to be confused with Samet Ville...two separate hotels), and it is very nice. If you look at all the bungalow types, I believe that they have some for 1600+ during high season (depending on the size, proximity to beach, etc.). So many of the hotels on Koh Samet seem overpriced compared to bungalows/hotels of similar quality on other islands.

I'm just curious....why don't you want to put up with no electricity during the day? Won't you be out at the beach or out doing something?

I've seen reports online there is a disco in the hotel next to Samed villa, playing loud music to all hours, can you confirm or deny this? I don't need that.

I like electric in the daytime, as i like an afternoon kip for a couple of hours, when its hot, its un-comfortable for me without the a/c, or fan.

At around 2000 bht a night i think your entitled to have electric all day.

I dont mind paying a bit extra to be on the front overlooking the sea, were only talking about going for 2 nights anyway!!

I've been to Koh Chang many times over last 3 or 4 years, they never cut of the electric there, well not where i've stayed, just thought Samet would make a nice change, & a bit closer?

Well, the last time I stayed at Samed Villa (about 6 months ago), I don't remember any disco next to the hotel. Depending on which bungalow you are in, you might here a little music/noise from down the beach, but I think you get that pretty much anywhere unless you're at one of the really isolated beaches that doesn't have bars. I have stayed there a few times and don't remember EVER having a problem sleeping (and I am a very light sleeper). I hope to Samet within the next 2 weeks, though, so I can check it out and let you know!

Edited by tonititan

I've seen reports online there is a disco in the hotel next to Samed villa, playing loud music to all hours, can you confirm or deny this? I don't need that.

Strictly speaking it is true - Silver Sands is the adjacent hotel, but both resorts are very spread out so that you would have to be staying in the furthest bungalow along the beach in (I think) a southerly direction, and then you would be quite near the furthest north of Silver Sands' bungalows - but the disco is right on the other side of Silver Sands hotel, so you wouldn't be bothered by it I doubt. Much less if you stay in one of the bungalows a bit further away from Silver Sands.

Samet Villa gets my recommendation by the way. The best place I've stayed in on the island.

• 2 weeks later...