สุภาพ And เรียบร้อย

withnail

I understand both to be polte or well manered/behaved but could someone give me some SHORT and SIMPLE example sentances to show when you would use one and not the other.

Also although I understand เพราะ to be either because or tuneful I've heard 'Poot Mai Pror' used to correct a child for speaking impolitely.

I would like to say if someone says I speak Thai very well (which I don't) that I'm sorry if it sounds impolite as I worry more about this than if I get the words/tones wrong.

Thanks

I could be way off but I think it has something to do with the hierarchy of words. I would use suphap to friends and family. Riep roi to people that were higher in rank like parents, teachers, boss.

Like u would use gin and raphathaan for eating.

x

Els

As far as I understand it...

I understand both to be polte or well manered/behaved but could someone give me some SHORT and SIMPLE example sentances to show when you would use one and not the other.

Also although I understand เพราะ to be either because or tuneful I've heard 'Poot Mai Pror' used to correct a child for speaking impolitely.

As well as "because", เพราะ can be used either meaning "tuneful ; pleasant sounding" as เขาร้องเพลงเพราะมาก "he sings really well / he's got a really good voice" , or in the sense of speaking politely. I think พูด(ไม่)เพราะ and พูด(ไม่)สุภาพ are pretty much identical, meaning "speak (im)politely".

- วันนี้โคตรเซ็งหว่ะ "I'm so f**cking bored today"

- ทำไมถึงพูดไม่สุภาพล่ะ พูดให้เพราะหน่อยสิ "Why the bad language ? Be a bit more polite"

เรียบร้อย when describing a person is basically means "well behaved", and as far as I can see seems to encompass being shy and/or having somewhat traditional values too. It's mainly used when talking about women. For instance, you could describe the type of girl who brings a friend along on dates and dresses conservatively as being เรียบร้อย but not the one who goes back to the guys room on the first date. It's generally taken as a compliment if a women is described as being เรียบร้อย, but for a guy it could be taken either way. It would still have the same basic positive connation of being "polite;well behaved" but also the possible implication of being a bit boring or introverted - depends on who you're talking to and how they meant it really.

As for สุภาพ, it seems quite a close equivalent to "polite" in English to me. สุภาพบุรุษ "gentleman" seems to be used more commonly in Thai than in English, and it'd certainly be more a compliment for a guy to be called a สุภาพบุรุษ than เรียบร้อย.

I would like to say if someone says I speak Thai very well (which I don't) that I'm sorry if it sounds impolite as I worry more about this than if I get the words/tones wrong.

I reckon ขอโทษด้วยนะครับ ถ้าผมพูด(ไทย)ไม่เพราะ

Edited by mike_l

^^^ Thanks Mike, and thanks for the changes at Thai2English.com - so easy to translate sentences now using the Conquery plugin for Firefox. I will pin a message about useful web sites soon (I've been saying that for months :o ).

that wasn't using Conquery it was using the site directly and I've tried it with or without spaces but keep getting the same error???

I just tried entering วันนี้โคตรเซ็งหว่ะ into the large box with the submit button and all I got was a big white space underneath, no thai, no transliteration???

Yep should be back to normal now. Sorry about the problems yesterday/earlier today.

thanks for the changes at Thai2English.com - so easy to translate sentences now using the Conquery plugin for Firefox.

No problem, actually it's still not finished yet. In the next few days it'll be possible to put in a mixture of English and Thai words in the same query if needed, but it's not quite ready yet.

Mike's description is 100% in line with my perception of the differences between these words. The word เพราะ in the sense of "polite" speech, has a slightly more formal equivalent which you will probably hear soon as well - [M]phai[HS]raw (dunno the Thai spelling).

Thanks for the help but can some body explain why you would say ทำไมถึง and not just ทำไม ?

Also is หว่ะ spelled correctly Mike as it's not showing any translation on your site.

Cheers

Thanks for the help but can some body explain why you would say  ทำไมถึง and not just  ทำไม ?

Also is หว่ะ spelled correctly Mike as it's not showing any translation on your site.

Cheers

ทำไมถึงชอบอาหารไทยคะ - Why do you like Thai food? (Why have you reached this state of liking Thai food?). It just adds extra clarity to the question.

หว่ะ :o Not sure. Probably similar to วะ. An impolite sorta particle, best reserved for close friends or enemies.

สุภาพ = polite, gentle, mild, courteous, affable

เรียบร้อย = neat, tidy, well-mannered, polite

สุภาพเรียบร้อย = polite, gentle

If you want to talk about the overall personal characters or dressing, the term สุภาพเรียบร้อย is appropriate, e.g. เขาเป็นคนสุภาพเรียบร้อย , โปรดแต่งกายสุภาพเรียบร้อย

Mike’s description is correct but I’d like to add more.

เรียบร้อย can be used for both women and men in the same meaning.

For other examples;

สมชายเป็นคนเรียบร้อย เขาไม่ชอบการทะเลาะเบาะแว้ง (altercation)

สมศรีเป็นคนเรียบร้อย เธอไม่เคยทะเลาะกับใครเลย

สุภาพ mostly used for describing men .

For examples;

สมชายเขาสุภาพกับฉันมากเลย แม้แต่จะจับมือ เขายังต้องขออนุญาตก่อนเลย

Somchai is very polite to me, even to hold my hand, he asked for my permission

ทำตัวให้สุภาพหน่อย ห้ามพูดทะลึ่ง ห้ามพูดคำหยาบ

Please be polite, don’t say dirty joke, don’t say bad words.

ไพเราะ and เพราะ have the same meaning . ไพเราะ is slightly more formal than เพราะ . In common speaking people prefer using เพราะ to ไพเราะ.

หวะ (low tone) and วะ (high tone) both are impolite words.

หวะ , this word is a cluster which start with high class consonant ,so the tone rule of this word is the same as high class consonant + short vowel which can’t put the low tone mark on it.

The example for using these two words;

นายว่าผู้หญิงคนนี้สวยไหมวะ Do you think this girl is beautiful?

ไม่รู้หวะ No idea.