Phi Phi

IreMark

• 4 weeks later...
You could try this links: Phi Phi and Phi Phi photos

hello mark, i have just returned from phi phi and everything is greatly improved, the beaches are clean the sea is sparkling and the people are smiling. yes things could be improved but slowly slowly and its getting done. tonsai is still in need of help but most of the clearing up is now done (I saw it first hand in december was in tsunami) a few shops have opened including the famous pee pee bakery. if you want to email me with questions please do at [email protected] and i will try to answer as many as possible. the most important thing phi phi needs is tourists its really empty there, one shop i went into at 4.30pm, i was his first customer, now you cant exist on that

jackie

• 2 weeks later...

From A newspaper in Devon, UK:

ONE glimmer of hope kept an Ilfracombe man going as he pulled bloated corpses from the ruins of a tropical paradise and attempted to identify body parts left savaged by the fury of the tsunami.

The hope held by Darren Windett was that one day the island of Phi Phi in Thailand could be restored to see life and tourism returned to it once more.

Now the almost superhuman efforts by Darren and a small core of volunteers from different countries has seen the island turn a corner, with a third restored and business beginning to return.

"The part we have rebuilt is open for business and ready to receive visitors," said Darren, who has been going to the island for seven years to dive and teach others.

"We have done the hardest bit now, but we need people to support the island to get it up and running again, whether they go as a tourist or volunteer."

Since the disaster on Boxing Day, Darren has struck a fine balance between helping the Thais and running his business, Westcountry Alarms, back in North Devon.

From the beginning, he and fellow volunteers Neil, Jenny and Emiele have been working on a rotational basis, returning to their home countries every six to eight weeks. But the calls on their time are enormous, as they have been acting as surrogate counsellors, construction foremen, administrators and in any other role required to get the job done.

"We spent several months digging out corpses, and we had to do it all by hand as the national aid money never got through to where it was needed," said Darren, who lost six friends, both Thais and Westerners, in the disaster.

"I found one of my friends - or what was left of him - under a wrecked building. While there I felt guilty about becoming upset, but it was not until I came home that it really hit me.

"It has been a case of rebuilding, starting up the economy and the whole thing completely from scratch," he continued.

"We have had to clear debris from the ocean bed; there are boat engines, whole houses and bungalows completely submerged, literally swept off the island, even a three-storey hotel."

Under the banner of Hi Phi Phi, Darren and friends have set up a website chronicling the voluntary effort - hiphiphi.com - and giving information on how people can become involved.

Their effort has become high profile, appearing on national news programmes, and recently Darren, Neil and Jenny were invited to dinner with Prince Andrew in Phucket, after he watched a Trevor MacDonald documentary about them.

"I was actually meant to be on Phi Phi over Christmas but was too busy to make it," said Darren.

"I was destroyed by what I had heard and took the first available flight out there. When I arrived there was no aid whatsoever and we began the initial voluntary effort looking after the refugees."

"Incredibly, the Thai government had been busy telling would be helpers the island was closed and all was in hand, but in fact not a single aid group, even the Red Cross, had got through.

"It seemed the government was trying to claim the land for itself, but after international media focused on the island, a cover up became difficult."

Darren is hoping to drum up as much support in North Devon before he returns to Phi Phi in August. He is seeking any businesses willing to donate small items such as keyrings to sell in the island shop. People with fund-raising ideas of their own are welcome to contact him.

The best way to help is by going, and anyone interested in finding out how they can visit as tourist, volunteer or both, can log on to: www.hiphiphi.com or telephone Darren on (01271) 879012 or 07702 693343.

• 2 weeks later...