Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

I've been coming to Phuket for years and have spent many months there in total. Everytime I go to Phuket, I seem to be caught by a new, ingenius, scam. It's never big money, so I pay up and commit the establishment and scam to memory, and do not go back there.

Shortly, I will return to Phuket and stay for several months. This time around, and as a personal challenge to myself, I'm determined not to be caught by a scam (yes, I know, wishfull thinking). We all know the ones that have been around for years. Eg. you know you have had 5 beers to drink but the bill comes out for 6 or 7. Also, we all know about the "organised" scams such aas Patong tuk-tuks and airport limos.

What I am talking about is the newly invented scams. The ones that haven't been around that long or the really cunning and deceptive scams that maybe even some expats on the forum haven't been stung with yet. So, it maybe of some help to all on this forum. This also extends to bar girl stories. Eg. send money for sick buffalo etc.

Some members may have been stung by a particular scam, whilst others may have been stung by another form of scam. I thought it would be good to gather intelligence on these scams, thus deseminating the information to everyone so we can all be aware.

So, if you have a free moment, maybe you can tell us about the best scam you've come across in Thailand, or the newest scam you've come across, or heard about, and any possible successful outcome you may have had in avoiding it. Cheers.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Car/Motorcycle rentals - put address of hotel. Wake up next morning to find rental gone. (renter has used second key and taken it back) Stolen property = big money for farang to cough up.

And they are stupid enough to call round early in the morning to complain that their bike/car has been stolen. Even before the customer realises the vehicle has been stolen. So how did the vehicle owner know it was stolen .... ooopps.

:D Doubt that owt has changed much concerning the usual suspects:

Gem scams, the Tailor goons, the jet-ski chimps, wolf pack mentality massage lasses, almost anyone lying to your face as a way of life, greedy bar bosses who reckon they’re East-End villains, the vehicle insurance scams against the evil farang, Thai run guest house/hotel scams (various), any Thai man sporting a beard who is trying to flog you anything (very dangerous), fake discounting (Somchai thinks of a high figure then applies a ridiculous % discount and then sells at the still ridiculous high price – tip: ask for a discount of 50% of 50%.. :D ) If you are so inclined to buy the Buriram beauty a lady drink, (e.g. whisky hab cola,) take a wee sniff to check if there is actually any liquor in the glass, designer label scams (various) and (almost) finally, always check your change.. :)

• Like 1

The scam that is very common , even in stores like Tesco, is the "Bait and Swap" . For example , the sony DVD player advertised on "special Promotion " for 700 THB. U enquire................ "Sorry........ no have" ! " All sold" blah blah blah !!!!!." But have this Phillips model for 1800 THB .........very good..." Thumbs up action etc. "Falung subooo " as you walk out .

Must be successful as it is so common.

if you are renting accomodation, especially a house or bungalow, make sure you power supplie is not rigged up to anything else or anyone elses property.

i had this happen to me once, stayed in a beautiful small family owned establishment. i was staying in one of six modern thai styled bungalows. when it came to to paying the rent and electric bill at the end of the month, two seperate bills. the electric was more than what i was paying for the rent. told the owner i would pay later that evening, as i did not have the cash on me and would have to go into town to the bank to get the cash out.

went back to the bungalow turned off all the electrical applyances, took out all the plugs, disconected the hot water supply to the bathroom, outside porch lights, the works. then made the small walk outside to where the dials where, the ones that you read when the bills are calculated. my dials where still turning round at great speed.

turns out that the owner had rigged my electric supply, up to all the surrounding garden lights, the poolside lights and the car parks.

when i comfronted her later that evening and showed her the proof and threatened to go the tourist police, post on the internet and go to the (tat), unless she 1/4 my bill. she didnt have a leg to stand on, and turned a darker shade of brown.

needless to say i stayed there for another 5 months and never had any more problems.

Car/Motorcycle rentals - put address of hotel. Wake up next morning to find rental gone. (renter has used second key and taken it back) Stolen property = big money for farang to cough up.

And they are stupid enough to call round early in the morning to complain that their bike/car has been stolen. Even before the customer realises the vehicle has been stolen. So how did the vehicle owner know it was stolen .... ooopps.

Yeh, heard about that one. Apparently, that scam is really bad on Samui. Funny enough, the last time I was scammed was by a motor bike hire shop. Before hiring the bike for a week, I asked if I could bring it back to their shop to park it there at night to aviod that scam, they said it would be ok and they would be responsible for it overnight. So, on the first afternoon, I took it back with half a tank of fuel. Next morning, tank is near empty and nobody knew a thing. A family run business, not a business run by young Thai guys. Lesson learnt, take it back near empty each night and don't hire from this shop again. As mentioned earlier, not huge dollars involved, just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Edited by NamKangMan

You can add the timeshare touts to your list.

Are they the ones that ride around early in the morning and harrass you? I've never been to one of their meetings, but they give you the sh*ts when you are out for a morning walk. One bike after the other pulls up along side of you and give you the hard sell. Nearly got into a punch on with one of them last year. A real pain.

if you are renting accomodation, especially a house or bungalow, make sure you power supplie is not rigged up to anything else or anyone elses property.

i had this happen to me once, stayed in a beautiful small family owned establishment. i was staying in one of six modern thai styled bungalows. when it came to to paying the rent and electric bill at the end of the month, two seperate bills. the electric was more than what i was paying for the rent. told the owner i would pay later that evening, as i did not have the cash on me and would have to go into town to the bank to get the cash out.

went back to the bungalow turned off all the electrical applyances, took out all the plugs, disconected the hot water supply to the bathroom, outside porch lights, the works. then made the small walk outside to where the dials where, the ones that you read when the bills are calculated. my dials where still turning round at great speed.

turns out that the owner had rigged my electric supply, up to all the surrounding garden lights, the poolside lights and the car parks.

when i comfronted her later that evening and showed her the proof and threatened to go the tourist police, post on the internet and go to the (tat), unless she 1/4 my bill. she didnt have a leg to stand on, and turned a darker shade of brown.

needless to say i stayed there for another 5 months and never had any more problems.

That's a good scam mate. I bet a lot have been stung by that one. I've not heard of it before. A lot of work has gone into setting up (or wiring up) :) that scam. I will do "the test" that you did prior to renting a place long term and run the test on a weekly basis. If they didn't have so much wired up to your meter, they probably would have got away with it. They have probably spread the lighting over all the bungalows now so each tennant only pays a bit more and not enough to alert them to an overcharge or scam. Thanks for your post. Cheers.

Edited by NamKangMan

The scam that is very common , even in stores like Tesco, is the "Bait and Swap" . For example , the sony DVD player advertised on "special Promotion " for 700 THB. U enquire................ "Sorry........ no have" ! " All sold" blah blah blah !!!!!." But have this Phillips model for 1800 THB .........very good..." Thumbs up action etc. "Falung subooo " as you walk out .

Must be successful as it is so common.

I think that scam is in the west as well mate. Basically, to get around false advertising allegations, they have 1 DVD player on sale at a ridiculous price. Of course, it gets sold in no time. It's all about getting customers through the door so you can then sell more expensive items. Like you, I turn around and walk out, but, they have wasted your time and energy. Thanks for your post.

:D Doubt that owt has changed much concerning the usual suspects:

Gem scams, the Tailor goons, the jet-ski chimps, wolf pack mentality massage lasses, almost anyone lying to your face as a way of life, greedy bar bosses who reckon they're East-End villains, the vehicle insurance scams against the evil farang, Thai run guest house/hotel scams (various), any Thai man sporting a beard who is trying to flog you anything (very dangerous), fake discounting (Somchai thinks of a high figure then applies a ridiculous % discount and then sells at the still ridiculous high price – tip: ask for a discount of 50% of 50%.. :D ) If you are so inclined to buy the Buriram beauty a lady drink, (e.g. whisky hab cola,) take a wee sniff to check if there is actually any liquor in the glass, designer label scams (various) and (almost) finally, always check your change.. :)

Heard of most of those scams mate. I will buy 1 or 2 drinks for the bar girl without checking the drink. I know there is usually no alcohol in the drink, however, if I like her, we leave together after the second drink and go to another bar where I order the drinks and you are getting what you pay for. My first few times to Thailand, some years ago, I fell for the "can we go friend bar me" trick. I woke up pretty quick to that one. What's the "Thai run guest house / hotel scams you mentioned? I'm sure there are many, I'm aware of a few. Thanks for the post. Cheers.

Hi There

Be careful if you want to buy a car

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Blue-Book-Car-t333799.html

Thanks for the link. I have never considered buying a car in Thailand as I have only been there for short periods of time, but, many times. I will soon be staying in Thailand on a more long term basis and this is when I will consider buying a car. Can you explain more about "the blue book" to me. I am unaware of what it is and why it is so important. I gather it's more important than "the warrantee/guarantee service book." Is it a book that lists your governemnt payments/taxes, or similar? If you buy a secondhand car, is the blue book important, or it's only new cars. Thanks for your posting. Cheers.

Re the lady drink business - I have no problem with them taking no alcohol in their drinks - a lot of them are non-drinkers (and I'm sure that most of them started out that way). They have to drink alcohol to get their cut (usually anything from 30 to 70 baht per drink, depending on the bar policy). If I wander in to a bar and buy one of the staff a lady drink, I make it clear that I will pay the lady drink price even if they only want pineapple juice without the Malibu. Quite often they gratefully accept the offer. I don't see anything good in forcing the girls to drink alcohol (in order for them to get some money together to send home) when they don't really want to. I have no problem paying the lady drink price, and those who really know and understand how and why things work the way they do would agree with me. Of course, your typical ten day tourist or deep-pocketed short-armed expat (aka kee niaow) would never understand...

• Like 1

Re the lady drink business - I have no problem with them taking no alcohol in their drinks - a lot of them are non-drinkers (and I'm sure that most of them started out that way). They have to drink alcohol to get their cut (usually anything from 30 to 70 baht per drink, depending on the bar policy). If I wander in to a bar and buy one of the staff a lady drink, I make it clear that I will pay the lady drink price even if they only want pineapple juice without the Malibu. Quite often they gratefully accept the offer. I don't see anything good in forcing the girls to drink alcohol (in order for them to get some money together to send home) when they don't really want to. I have no problem paying the lady drink price, and those who really know and understand how and why things work the way they do would agree with me. Of course, your typical ten day tourist or deep-pocketed short-armed expat (aka kee niaow) would never understand...

I agree with you Ping. On the odd occassion, a girl has said to me, "I just drink juice - ok for you." Of course it's ok for me. However, I would rather leave the girl a tip, because she may not get much from the soft drink, than being fooled, lied to, conned, scammed and laughed at as another "stupid farang." Honesty, in a country that lacks it, goes a long way with me. If they try to deceive me, "we" (if I like the girl anyway) are out of there to a independant bar. I'm not Cheap Charlie, just don't like being treated like "a ten day tourist." I have never pressured a girl to drink, they can order what they like and I am happy to pay "lady drink" and / or leave a tip direct to the girl, regardless if she consumes alcohol or not and we are in her bar or not.

Thanks for the link. I have never considered buying a car in Thailand as I have only been there for short periods of time, but, many times. I will soon be staying in Thailand on a more long term basis and this is when I will consider buying a car. Can you explain more about "the blue book" to me. I am unaware of what it is and why it is so important. I gather it's more important than "the warrantee/guarantee service book." Is it a book that lists your governemnt payments/taxes, or similar? If you buy a secondhand car, is the blue book important, or it's only new cars. Thanks for your posting. Cheers.

blue book for car/green book for bike. its the title. if you dont have it in your name, its not your vehicle. even if you have reciept you have payed it in full

blue book for car/green book for bike. its the title. if you dont have it in your name, its not your vehicle. even if you have reciept you have payed it in full

As you can see from KB's comment the blue book is extremely important. If you have a car on finance the finance company will hold the blue book until such time as you clear the finance. I think the procedure is if you buy a 2nd hand car you get the owner to sign a form transferring ownership & you should have that plus the blue book to take to the vehicle registration department where they will then enter your name as the owner. Do not let them say they will take care of it.

• Like 1

As you can see from KB's comment the blue book is extremely important. If you have a car on finance the finance company will hold the blue book until such time as you clear the finance. I think the procedure is if you buy a 2nd hand car you get the owner to sign a form transferring ownership & you should have that plus the blue book to take to the vehicle registration department where they will then enter your name as the owner. Do not let them say they will take care of it.

It appears like the blue/green book is the equivilent to vehicle registration papers in Australian and other countries. Probably a stupid question, but, can the OP with this problem say the book was lost/stolen/damaged and have them print up a new one for him? Also, what is the purpose of a Thai salesman handing over the car, but not the blue book. What is the scam? Does he then go to police and say the car was stolen, or is it a stolen car that has been "rebirthed" that he is selling?

:D ...mmmm... Pull oop a chair and cool your boots, Reverend, nobody inferred forcing the tarts to drink hard liquor. As NKM stated, it was just a marker to keep your eyes and ears open to deception and not flag waving an invite to a patronising diatribe on 'how and why things work.

...get some money together to send home." :) The money that gets sent home? Yeah, right...not much lolly left after, the expensive phones, food, clothes, drugs, booze, 'give money bar' because they're too lazy to turn oop for the job, etc...

designer label scams (various)

But the funny thing is that the copies are generally better quality than the originals!

I know a lady that buys 20 or so T-shirts for her kids every time she visits. She used to buy the originals until she discovered they fell apart/lost their shape after a few washes - the copies don't, and look great for the entire year until she comes back and gets the latest 'must-have' T-shirts. :)

designer label scams (various)

But the funny thing is that the copies are generally better quality than the originals!

I know a lady that buys 20 or so T-shirts for her kids every time she visits. She used to buy the originals until she discovered they fell apart/lost their shape after a few washes - the copies don't, and look great for the entire year until she comes back and gets the latest 'must-have' T-shirts. :D

Some moons past, when there were more markets adjacent to the 200 year road, between what is now the Jung Ceylon mall and soi Andaman square, I bought a blue ‘Levi’ button shirt from one of the many market stalls. I decided to wear it there and then and went about my biznit for the day. It was April and stifling hot and sticky and so I was glad to get back to my air con hovel at the end of that day. I couldn’t wait to get into the shower but just as I was going in I noticed that where the shirt had clung to my skin was an imprint of dark blue dye from the shirt. Took 2 days to get it all off..that’ll learn me. :)

Some moons past, when there were more markets adjacent to the 200 year road, between what is now the Jung Ceylon mall and soi Andaman square, I bought a blue 'Levi' button shirt from one of the many market stalls. I decided to wear it there and then and went about my biznit for the day. It was April and stifling hot and sticky and so I was glad to get back to my air con hovel at the end of that day. I couldn't wait to get into the shower but just as I was going in I noticed that where the shirt had clung to my skin was an imprint of dark blue dye from the shirt. Took 2 days to get it all off..that'll learn me. :)

next time, get a white shirt :D:D

havent purchased Lacoste/Polo piquet t shirts for 4 years. got 60 of them then, quality is just too good, never wears out, 120 baht each. wash them in machine at 60C and 1000rpm, but never seem to be able to wear them out

Got a Breitling copy 7 years ago, bl--dy expensive at 800 baht, replaced battery once, still works as a clock. "titanium" looking patinated by now though :D

On the subject of copies/fakes. Most of the DVD movies I buy are fine for the first half of the movie, but the second half "breaks up" to the point I just throw it away. Some movies are fine the whole way through, but most start fine and then you can't watch the second half. Does anyone know why? There are no scratches or damage to the disc. The data still seems to be there for the second half of the movie. I always ask the guy to throw it in his DVD player and show me and when I see it works fine, I buy it. Anyway, it's a scam or sorts, just wondering why/how this happens.

I don't understand :) Why would anyone that has been to Phuket, ever go again? Do enjoy fighting off scammers? Just like being overcharged for anything and everything? Maybe you like the feel of people grabbing you and trying to pull you into a restaurant, massage parlor, shop house, bar, or tuk tuk? Could it be you just like dodging motorbikes doing 30 kmh down the sidewalk? Wouldn't it be easier, and more fun, to maybe,,, try someplace else?

• Like 1

I don't understand :) Why would anyone that has been to Phuket, ever go again? Do enjoy fighting off scammers? Just like being overcharged for anything and everything? Maybe you like the feel of people grabbing you and trying to pull you into a restaurant, massage parlor, shop house, bar, or tuk tuk? Could it be you just like dodging motorbikes doing 30 kmh down the sidewalk? Wouldn't it be easier, and more fun, to maybe,,, try someplace else?

I was thinking just the same, I don't see the point of getting scammed everyday, spending time documenting it and going back again and again just to get some more. Just the tuk tuk mafia is enough to keep me far from this place.

A lot of these scams can be found else where in Thailand. I don't really know of a place in Thailand where a farang is treated equally, with everything. That is, a single farang, not a farang with a Thai partner doing all the talking. No one has ever grabded me, physically, and pulled me into a shop, restaurant etc. As for dodging motor bikes, "that's Asia" - you should try crossing a road in Vietnam - it has never bothered me. So, if you are residing in a town that is "the best kept secret in Thailand" - a place where farang never gets scammed, no two teir pricing system exists, is near an internation airport for visa runs, is near a beach, has expat bars with live sport, has Big C, has Carrefour, has a cimema, has a gym, has good medical and dental care available etc etc - please tell me where it is. I will check it out. :D

I was thinking just the same, I don't see the point of getting scammed everyday, spending time documenting it and going back again and again just to get some more. Just the tuk tuk mafia is enough to keep me far from this place.

See my reply to Lovedog's post. I haven't caught a tuk-tuk in Patong for years. You are right, they are the biggest rip off on the island. Any reader of this forum will see many threads devoted to negative comments about Patong tuk-tuks. The Patong tuk-tuk problem is unique to Patong because of the collusion. However, the tuk-tuk driver in Bangkok (driving his traditional tuk-tuk) will still charge more when a farang jumps in than a Thai, so, the scam is nation wide, just not in a similar fashion to Patong.