Phuket Immigration Chief Transferred

webfact

Phuket Immigration chief transferred

phuket-Col-Chanatpol-said-he-wanted-to-wish-a-warm-farewell-to-all-Phuket-Gazette-readers-before-leaving-on-February-13-File-photo-1-JGTqjVW.jpg

Col Chanatpol said he wanted to wish a warm farewell to all Phuket Gazette readers before leaving on February 13. File photo.

PHUKET TOWN: -- Phuket Immigration Superintendent Col Chanatpol Yongbunjerd is taking a transfer order to Immigration Headquarters in Bangkok in his stride, saying the new post will allow him to be near his family as he nears the civil service retirement age.

Col Chanatpol arrived in Phuket from Pattaya in late 2007.

Although initially perturbed about not having been given advance warning or the reasons behind the transfer, Col Chanatpol said he is now ready for the easier job as he is only eight months from retirement, and his new position will be less stressful. He will only have six staff working under him in Bangkok, compared to 30 here in Phuket.

The new job will have him working as a high-level liaison officer with foreign diplomatic staff, he said.

The transfer will also allow him to remain near his hospital in Bangkok, where he receives post-surgical treatment following bypass surgery, he said.

Col Chanatpol will leave Phuket on February 13.

His replacement will be Pol Col Phanuwat Ruamrak, with whom he will swap positions.

Other Immigration Police officers leaving Phuket under the transfer order include Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Chaiwut Junsomboon, who has been promoted to Superintendent of the Satun Immigration office.

He will be replaced by Lt Col Grissadakorn Klinkaset, currently an Inspector in Songkhla.

Also leaving the island will be Inspector Suparerk Pankosol, who will be promoted to Deputy Superintendent of the Alien Assistance Bureau in Bangkok.

Another familiar face at Phuket Immigration who will be leaving the island is that of Deputy Inspector Naphat Noosen, who for many years answered readers questions about visa-related issues in the Gazette’s Issues and Answers column.

He will now serve as Deputy Inspector at Immigration Police Region 6 headquarters in Songkhla.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-02-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Indeed fascinating - Station Chief and Deputy, plus two other senior ranks, all transferred out in one order ... coming immediately after the various tuk tuk assaults on tourists, the city hall bust in the red light district (that rounded up Burmese prostitutes amongst others), and a string of (deadly) serious crimes against resident and visiting foreigners.

I'm wondering how high the transfer orders initiated from, and under what pressure from where and whom?

The OP states Phuket Immigration is 30-strong, yet four seniors are transferred out at the same time - won't help a lot with management continuity, which may have been exactly the reason for it happening so suddenly, especially with the Gazette's liaison getting shunted too.

Think about it.

does anybody know this guy, or the others mentioned in the article? Is he being transferred because of complaints or does someone want his position? I guess there is nothing going on in the entire country that tops this news story. Thanks TV for this one. :)

Can't U guys read anything between the lines? Phuket is the first place anywhere in Thailand I ever had to pay a Bribe to get something done on my passport, It was not very much, but it was a real eye opener, There was a special fee and no place to gain understanding of it, a long line of Ferang waiting to get this stamp and pay the special fee.

That this guy would be transferred and so close to his retirement, is a real indication that somebody somewhere is trying to do some clean up in a much needed area, about time too, Phuket has been an immigration mess for as long as I have been coming to Thailand.

Can't U guys read anything between the lines? Phuket is the first place anywhere in Thailand I ever had to pay a Bribe to get something done on my passport, It was not very much, but it was a real eye opener, There was a special fee and no place to gain understanding of it, a long line of Ferang waiting to get this stamp and pay the special fee.

That this guy would be transferred and so close to his retirement, is a real indication that somebody somewhere is trying to do some clean up in a much needed area, about time too, Phuket has been an immigration mess for as long as I have been coming to Thailand.

...it is only a reshuffle, not another crackdown yet, which would be the next step, or the coup d'état as a further step. But this has time to the end of February when the decision will be made, what to do with the confiscated money of Thaksin.

Indeed fascinating - Station Chief and Deputy, plus two other senior ranks, all transferred out in one order ... coming immediately after the various tuk tuk assaults on tourists, the city hall bust in the red light district (that rounded up Burmese prostitutes amongst others), and a string of (deadly) serious crimes against resident and visiting foreigners.

I'm wondering how high the transfer orders initiated from, and under what pressure from where and whom?

The OP states Phuket Immigration is 30-strong, yet four seniors are transferred out at the same time - won't help a lot with management continuity, which may have been exactly the reason for it happening so suddenly, especially with the Gazette's liaison getting shunted too.

Think about it.

Sir I think you have hit the nail on the head! Far to many senior management being moved 'side ways' in one go,they really have no idea, talk about putting ourself on the radar?

At last it is possible that international pressure is having some affect?

OK, now let me get this right; some guy who works in Immigration is transferred, yep, got it so far.

So than what happened? Is there a conclusion or whaarrt?

Silly person....this is Thaivisa. You think too much first, then.....you make up your own conclusion

Can't you read the lines between the lines?

This sort of hackneyed news is simply not news.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

I always found Phuket Immigration office helpful and friendly....never ever had any kind of hassle in over 10 years...just get your papers in order when u go there and show some respect and have never ever offered tea money and none was ever solicited...never fails to amaze when I see expats in their lovely stinking singlets and dirty beach shorts with a can of beer in their hands at 10am in the morning with real attitude expecting to be treated as though they were someone important...only in their own minds are they important...one would never go into their own embassy in such dress and attitude....wouldn't get past the security for starters

I always found Phuket Immigration office helpful and friendly....never ever had any kind of hassle in over 10 years...just get your papers in order when u go there and show some respect and have never ever offered tea money and none was ever solicited...never fails to amaze when I see expats in their lovely stinking singlets and dirty beach shorts with a can of beer in their hands at 10am in the morning with real attitude expecting to be treated as though they were someone important...only in their own minds are they important...one would never go into their own embassy in such dress and attitude....wouldn't get past the security for starters

seconded.

A few years ago I met a wonderful European lady who has lived on Ko Phuket for several years as a teacher. She was married to a Thai.

She told me that Phuket was rife with illegal Russian Immigrants who 'party' with the Thai Immigration officials.

That is all I know or don't know, though some Posts in this very Forum seemed to collaborate this scenario.

If this Russian 'element' does exist in Phuket, one would wonder if these transfers has anything to do with that!?

[either a crack down by Interpol, or some BKK official thinking it is his time to sip the gravy and vodka]

My 'speculation' is the Russian factor is what is behind the story.

that is exactly the point--

supplying new blood.

hopefully, the rampant uncontrollable elements will be eradicated or at the very least greatly reduced.... hopefully really....

enough is enough.... LOL

cheers for the new management team members. we do have greater expectations from you guys to cleanup, mobup and

CHEER UP THE EXPATS.... lol

Think about it.

Think about it.

that may explain why the Immigration dept in Patong has been shut for (at least) the last two days...

so I got my Thau friend to phone Phuket office... they hadn't got a clue... fortunately the Thai lady working as a waitress in the next restaurant, overheard the conversation and helped with our enquiry .. only in Thailand eh ?

A few years ago I met a wonderful European lady who has lived on Ko Phuket for several years as a teacher. She was married to a Thai.

She told me that Phuket was rife with illegal Russian Immigrants who 'party' with the Thai Immigration officials.

That is all I know or don't know, though some Posts in this very Forum seemed to collaborate this scenario.

If this Russian 'element' does exist in Phuket, one would wonder if these transfers has anything to do with that!?

[either a crack down by Interpol, or some BKK official thinking it is his time to sip the gravy and vodka]

My 'speculation' is the Russian factor is what is behind the story.

I like your way of thinking.

And lets add, the guy is also behind the melting down of a hoard of Nazi gold at a metal candlestick making factory in Pattaya, he owns a chain of Italian mafia run brothels in Bangkok and murdered his mistress who was carrying his illegitamate child.

It`s all a load of crap, but much more fun and gives us something to talk about.

Edited by BigWheelMan

I seem to remember a firing not too long ago on the top line somewhere in Phuket Immigration. It was sometime after they arrested that fellow for hostile behavior last year.

Last time I went to Phuket Immigration, I had to pay a fee, to get a document I shouldn't have needed. Not surprisingly, NO RECEIPT was given. Corruption at it's most discreet.

The office was full of Foreign Volunteers, giving the standard inacurate advice (not their fault, they are told what to tell the tourists). Then at the officials desk, taking overstay payments before the extension of stay stamps. As I understand, this is overcharging and opposite of my (limited) experience in other provinces.

Slowly, Phuket seems to be trying to get a grip on things. Let's hope its not wasted efforts.

Maybe off topic but whenever reports about people in general make the news, very seldom is the age of the person given as in the Western media. Is there some simple reason for this - or should we look for a sinister reason?