Reds Protest

BlueSmurf

Well the "reds" have moved into Chiang Rai and set themselves up out side the army camp close to Pattaya beach.They have come with their usual loud speakers and have a stage.They were not there first thing 8.30am when I did the school run but are now 11am. They are opposite the main entrance of the army camp where the school children are taken in and picked up each day. There are about 10 cars/trucks parked along the road and I assume that will grow. The police are there but will do nothing to move them on or protect the entrance in my opinion. This looks like the same as they are doing in Chiang mai and I would think their numbers will swell.

Cars can drive past freely at the moment but its a busy road and I would think it will get clogged later in the day.

I will post more as the day progresses.

Did'nt think they would bother us over here...

Edited by davidwright

update...Have just been out to take a few pics but they have moved to the other entrance to the army camp .The entrance to the golf course.The road towards the "rai Mai falung bridge".The road is wider there and they nmaybe can cause more obstruction to daily life...

Sorry I'm confused here David, are the reds at Chiang Rai or Pattaya ? Or is there a Pattaya in Chiang Rai, I'm unaware of?

Personally I'd stay well back, if you're taking photos, just in case anything kicks off.

PS Don't wear yellow! :)

Edited by WeeGB

Sorry I'm confused here David, are the reds at Chiang Rai or Pattaya ? Or is there a Pattaya in Chiang Rai, I'm unaware of?

Personally I'd stay well back, if you're taking photos, just in case anything kicks off.

PS Don't wear yellow! :)

lol...yes we have a Pattaya beach by the river or as the locals call it Pattaya noi...Thanks for the advice but don't think its got any momentum yet..Anyway will drive past after my dinner..Yes war stops for dinner!

Thanks for these updates. This is TV at its best, but I hope it doesn't kick off up there.

There have been protests outsde police and army bases in Chiang mai for I think about a month..There are posts by Chiang mai resedents to confirm this on other topic pages

Thanks for these updates. This is TV at its best, but I hope it doesn't kick off up there.

Agreed, on all counts. :D

David, it might be worth getting out your Thai phrasebook, for when you drive past again - I'd suggest you look these up, for the Thai translations:

Leave it out / we've all had a drink mate / he's not worth it / calm down, calm down (probably best NOT to do this in a scouse accent, :) ).

Anything else happening or are you still on your lunch break? :D

I've just seen it on TV. <deleted> is that Westerner doing protesting and kicking off? I reckon his wife must have got him dressed...

Can you draw us a picture of said moron in words?

WeeGB - calm down, calm down (probably best NOT to do this in a scouse accent, ). You're dead right dere La.

Well its all turned out to be a "Damp Squid" up here in Chiang Rai..They have all crawed back in their holes.They never made more than 30 people..So much for a "peoples Army " in Chiang Rai!!! Back to normality again whatever that is....Never even got a photo!lol

Well its all turned out to be a "Damp Squid" up here in Chiang Rai..They have all crawed back in their holes.They never made more than 30 people..So much for a "peoples Army " in Chiang Rai!!! Back to normality again whatever that is....Never even got a photo!lol

Seems like you've got living in Thailand down to a "T", David, firstly war stops for dinner, and already you're looking forward to your next meal, "Damp Squid". :D

Cheers

WeeGB

:)

Apologies for the lateness of this reply but I've been out and about.

This morning on CH3 news they had this weird footage of the red shirts, but at the front of them was a Westerner and he then started to kick off at another Westerner...

The clip was less than 10 seconds but it made me really know that for some folks....its time to go home.

I've just seen it on TV. <deleted> is that Westerner doing protesting and kicking off? I reckon his wife must have got him dressed...

I wonder what his user name(s) is/are

:) The description fits quite a number of members.

Hey c'mon now, many would consider the 500 baht to be good money. :D

Many people think that Chiang Rai doesn't count. That Chiang Rai is a place where only idiots live.

This is absolutely not true!

Chiang Rai people are great!

Wouldn't it be horrible if they all would subscribe to the old fascist feodalism? That they all would make deep wai's for

people who even wouldn't deserve to get a kick under their buttocks, just because they wear uniforms?

Thieves stealing the tax money and talking at the same time as if they were honest? Big words, applauded by applauding cattle!

Isn't it great that also Chiang Rai people are looking for alternatives to the old system where stealing from the

poor was and is considered normal?

I am not sure if 'red' is the alternative, but it shows that there are people who want change.

Thieves are thieves, no matter what color they hide behind.

It is extremely sad that one on the sides abused a color that by many is associated to Honesty and Honour.

Long time I thought (especially after have seen the execution of a young boy in a village nearby) that yellow

represented the 'good side'.

Now I understand that 'yellow' is exactly the same: it's about power and thus about enriching the members of the same team.

No wonder that the international press is very critical about the military backed government that we have at the moment.

They are not elected!!! They don't represent the people of Thailand.

I am proud that Chiang Rai has its reds! It would be horrible if it hadn't!!!

Long live the people of Chiang Rai!

Limbo :)

Long live the red shirts! . . . . redshirts.bmp

redshirts.bmp

redshirts.bmp

Edited by Limbo

It is extremely sad that one on the sides abused a color that by many is associated to Honesty and Honour.

Long time I thought (especially after have seen the execution of a young boy in a village nearby) that yellow

represented the 'good side'.

Now I understand that 'yellow' is exactly the same: it's about power and thus about enriching the members of the same team.

No wonder that the international press is very critical about the military backed government that we have at the moment.

They are not elected!!! They don't represent the people of Thailand.

No Limbo. In a parliamentary democracy it is the MPs that are elected and the current Democrat Party coalition commands a majority and therefore is the ligitimate government.

I hate the whole of this Yellow/Red shirt business and just think it is ridiculing this lovely country.

However I do think Abisit is not as currupt as some, and what Thaksin in doing is treatorous, also I think a stability under one government is no bad thing.

I take pleasure in eating in the Red Shirt Restaurant, near the clock tower, wearing my yellow shirt just to wind them up. My throat is still intact!

I am not sure if 'red' is the alternative, but it shows that there are people who want change.

Thieves are thieves, no matter what color they hide behind.

Limbo

Do you wear long socks with your shorts?

Many people think that Chiang Rai doesn't count. That Chiang Rai is a place where only idiots live.

Nobody thinks that, but it obviously serves the purpose of rallying the troops and fueling emotions to believe and spout such nonsense.

Thieves stealing the tax money and talking at the same time as if they were honest?

Thieves stealing tax money?! Look within your movement.

Isn't it great that also Chiang Rai people are looking for alternatives to the old system where stealing from the

poor was and is considered normal?

It would be great if they weren't being played as pawns; if the red movement actually cared about them. It doesn't.

However I do think Abisit is not as currupt as some, and what Thaksin in doing is treatorous, also I think a stability under one government is no bad thing.

and a military coup is OK?

Agree that people should wait until elections to change government, but the yellows have set the precedent & been rewarded - they would be foolish & arrogant to now expect stability.

:)

No Limbo. In a parliamentary democracy it is the MPs that are elected and the current Democrat Party coalition commands a majority and therefore is the ligitimate government.

I hate the whole of this Yellow/Red shirt business and just think it is ridiculing this lovely country.

I take pleasure in eating in the Red Shirt Restaurant, near the clock tower, wearing my yellow shirt just to wind them up. My throat is still intact!

I agree with you completely on the point that the Thai Prime Minister (a man with a good British educational background)

deserves praise. He is certainly doing his best and this in a very difficult situation, being installed in a mysterious way by

mysterious forces. But it might have been the thing that had to be done under the given circumstances.

I remember the public execution of a young heavily intoxicated young boy in a village less than ten kilometers

from Chiang Rai town. This was a week before the second re-election of Khun Taksin. There were signs hanging

in the village with a text like 'vote for Khun Taksin or the drugs maffia will take over'.

Something had to happen, whatever even, to stop this development, I thought and I was not the only one.

For me the Democratic party must be a decent party as they bring good and honest people like Chuan Leekpai and

Abhisit Vejjajiva to the top. I think also that a democratic party, mostly in the opposition, attracts less adventurers

than a power party and thus less potential thieves.

It is sad that this division of this society has to take place and that, as rixalex remarked already, people

are used as pawns in a power gain.

From a feodal structured society we are slowly moving into a more open and pluriform society.

The time of one-party states is over. It causes growing pains, but just blaming 'the reds' for it is not the solution.

And these pawns, if red or yellow pawns, are people like you and me.

I am on the side of the pawns!

Orange is my color!

Be carefull eating in the 'red' restaurant dear daring Lannaman, because the 'yellow' have already been shooting at it.

If you want to go and eat in a 'yellow' restaurant wearing a red shirt I will pay your bill. :D

Frightening, aren't they? Who stole their shirts? . . post-6305-1265509400_thumb.jpg

I agree with you completely on the point that the Thai Prime Minister (a man with a good British educational background)

deserves praise. He is certainly doing his best and this in a very difficult situation, being installed in a mysterious way by

mysterious forces. But it might have been the thing that had to be done under the given circumstances.

I remember the public execution of a young heavily intoxicated young boy in a village less than ten kilometers

from Chiang Rai town. This was a week before the second re-election of Khun Taksin. There were signs hanging

in the village with a text like 'vote for Khun Taksin or the drugs maffia will take over'.

Something had to happen, whatever even, to stop this development, I thought and I was not the only one.

For me the Democratic party must be a decent party as they bring good and honest people like Chuan Leekpai and

Abhisit Vejjajiva to the top. I think also that a democratic party, mostly in the opposition, attracts less adventurers

than a power party and thus less potential thieves.

It is sad that this division of this society has to take place and that, as rixalex remarked already, people

are used as pawns in a power gain.

From a feodal structured society we are slowly moving into a more open and pluriform society.

The time of one-party states is over. It causes growing pains, but just blaming 'the reds' for it is not the solution.

And these pawns, if red or yellow pawns, are people like you and me.

I am on the side of the pawns!

Orange is my color!

Be carefull eating in the 'red' restaurant dear daring Lannaman, because the 'yellow' have already been shooting at it.

If you want to go and eat in a 'yellow' restaurant wearing a red shirt I will pay your bill. :D

Frightening, aren't they? Who stole their shirts? . . post-6305-1265509400_thumb.jpg

Now if all that was red was boobs, it would be a perfect LOS!

Actually I believe that the whole Red/yellow phenomomon is a substitute for war. Historically Siam, Burma and Cambodia have always been knocked the hel_l out of each other, and most Thai men are by nature aggressive and now frustrated, I suppose us Farangs grabbing their women doesn't help.

If you go to that restaurant in red then the helping of Kha Moo (the best it town) is twice the size.

Ummm if by "mysterious way", you mean the way that every P.M. is voted into office .. then sure! If by "mysterious forces" you mean by the Members of Parliament", then sure! If you men "that it might have been the thing that had to be done" to mean that MP'v voting for the PM is how it is ALWAYS done when there is a sitting parliament ... then sure!

If you go to that restaurant in red then the helping of Kha Moo (the best it town) is twice the size.

And what about the 'kweetiou nua', or is that next door?

I haven't been there a long time, but it is an area with a lot of good Thai restaurants at both sides of

the street.

The restaurant with the pictures of Khun Taksin was shot at early in the morning of his birthday.

By the way, to avoid misunderstandings:

If you eat with a red shirt in a 'yellow' restaurant I will only pay the bill of the restaurant, not of the hospital.

Reading the discussions on prachathai one gets the feeling that people want 'change'.

Behind 'red and yellow' there is an undercurrent that unites at least a part of its supporters.

These are the ones that slowly start to wear white shirts!

Don't forget that everybody who lives in Thailand is confronted every day with the results of

theft of public means.

Let's say that the budget for education would be used fully for education (!?).

There would be thirty percent more teachers, thirty percent more schools and the classes would not

be populated by as much as fifty students, but only thirty five.

Roads could be 40 percent wider, longer, stronger, safer if the budget for roads was used for roads

and hospitals might be able to extend the average life-span of Thai people with another percentage.

Your remark about the need of an enemy hits the nail on the head.

The rightness of it is confirmed by the sudden skirmishes with Cambodja.

Very convenient that Khun Taksin showed himself helpfull by embracing Khun Hun Sen.

It will let some steam out of the kettle.

Dear jdinasia,

I was referring to the process that led to the election of Khun Abhisit, not the election itself.

I was thinking about the role of the network around Khun Newin Chidchob (among which

the chairman of the parlament, the minister of defence, the army chief, the former chief of police

and, of course, who else, Sanoh Thienthong).

I believe these were the gentlemen that decided that the votes would go to Khun Abhisit.

A nice week to everybody!

And the very best of weeks to yourself Limbo...

Where are these restaurants? And the street where they are all good?

I inquire, not for reasons political but in the interests of the cuisine. :D

Imagine standing at Goldy Tic Tac and starting to move direction Saen Pu Hotel and Samakkhee

Wittayakom. After fifteen meters at your left you have one of the most famous kweetiau shops of

Chiang Rai, at least among the Thai residents of this town.

Before it was said that they made the soup Lao style as they put some cannabis in it for improving

its taste. It is a simple straight forward kweetiau. I never tasted any suspicious additions.

Then at the same side of the road after the Suknirand Hotel you get first a traditional Chinese-Thai style

restaurant (with VIP room of course) and next to it Saharot, famous for 'kaw laow luet mo' and moo sap.

At the opposite side of the street you'll find the red 'ka mo' favoured by Lannaman and, I think next to it,

the number one 'kweetiau nua' shop. A little bit further, on the corner of the street with the mosque, a very nice

clean and cheap restaurant with probably more than twenty dishes.

Add to these the places I forgot and you will be fully informed 555.

Also should be mentioned the old pick up with coffee, tea, Ovaltine and other innocent liquids that stands early

morning between the Suknirand and the tractor shop. The old car seems to give an extra flavour to it all.

And the very best of weeks to yourself Limbo...

Where are these restaurants? And the street where they are all good?

I inquire, not for reasons political but in the interests of the cuisine. :D

Imagine standing at Goldy Tic Tac and starting to move direction Saen Pu Hotel and Samakkhee

Wittayakom. After fifteen meters at your left you have one of the most famous kweetiau shops of

Chiang Rai, at least among the Thai residents of this town.

Before it was said that they made the soup Lao style as they put some cannabis in it for improving

its taste. It is a simple straight forward kweetiau. I never tasted any suspicious additions.

Then at the same side of the road after the Suknirand Hotel you get first a traditional Chinese-Thai style

restaurant (with VIP room of course) and next to it Saharot, famous for 'kaw laow luet mo' and moo sap.

At the opposite side of the street you'll find the red 'ka mo' favoured by Lannaman and, I think next to it,

the number one 'kweetiau nua' shop. A little bit further, on the corner of the street with the mosque, a very nice

clean and cheap restaurant with probably more than twenty dishes.

Add to these the places I forgot and you will be fully informed 555.

Also should be mentioned the old pick up with coffee, tea, Ovaltine and other innocent liquids that stands early

morning between the Suknirand and the tractor shop. The old car seems to give an extra flavour to it all.

Where Kha Moo is sold is the same restaurant as the kweetiou nua (Beef Noodles) - all staff in red. The Kha Moo is a bit of a secondary offering there.

The restaurant on the corner of the mosque soy is good but not the kweetiou nua place. they have a large range of Thai grub.