Assessment Of Thai Nurses & English Speaking

Rhys

Howdy Pardners... The other day I was treated for a relatively minor cut, yet it required suture work. The young nurse to my surprize gave instructions in English. The commands were straight forward, rehearsed, yet spot on.

What has been your experience with Thai Nurses in terms of quality of care, and instructions.. For example, we are giving your this medication for ....... ?

I have actually found it almost a 60/40 mix of Private hospitals to Govt Hospital Nurses.. Who can speak English in the patient/nurse setting..

After the session, I asked the young nurse where she learned to speak English..she mentioned the various books you can pick up at Chula..And her school had a few western teachers..

She mentioned the latest push .. on a govt level was to bring the nurses up to speed on English speaking, so the MOPH/PBRI can export them? Another TRT Brain Trust.. Any information on that topic?

Cheers Mates.

IME, near-useless at Bamgrunrat, St. Louis and Bangkok Christian. At Bamgrunrat ER I once got badly wounded by an IV drip, which they insisted on for no reason, apparently because it's standard procedure. Oh, and low to non-existent English.

There's a major export market for nurses. Ireland for one has a special fast-track work permit category for them. Apparently it's about as popular these days as joining the nunhood.

Back when I taught in CM, the course at the university that every Thai teacher in the English department dreaded being assigned to teach was "English for Nursing Students"...in fact, it was always tossed around as a threat, as in "If you xyz they'll make you teach the NURSING STUDENTS..." =) Never had the opportunity myself, but there must be something behind all those looks of horror I used to see when class assignments were handed out!

However, in practice, I've found most nurses here to be quite up to speed, at least on the basic nurse/patient interactions..no complaints at all.

Needed some stitches put in my big toe as a result of a motor-cycle accident which happened at a remote region in Issan. Top job by the nurse at 3am on a Sunday. I thought she was a doctor at the government hospital.

Cost me 86 baht and I gave her a tip of 100 baht, which she accepted very reluctantly. Partner had to translate as she spoke no English at all.

Peter

Back when I taught in CM, the course at the university that every Thai teacher in the English department dreaded being assigned to teach was "English for Nursing Students"...in fact, it was always tossed around as a threat, as in "If you xyz they'll make you teach the NURSING STUDENTS..." =) Never had the opportunity myself, but there must be something behind all those looks of horror I used to see when class assignments were handed out!

Wow, it sure wasn't the case during the years I taught at CMU... In fact, it was considered a boost by all teachers that I knew, especially the newbie teachers stuck teaching 191, 192, 291, and 292 English For Science courses.... :D

I always enjoyed teaching the nurses, for all the obvious reasons. Only a fool could see it otherwise, in my book. Of course, their English mostly sucked, but that didn't take away from the enjoyment at all :o

I suppose teaching students nurses could have a bit of the easy of the eye...Yet, the English instructor should enjoy students who give it their best, turn in their homework, and may actually use their English in the work environment...

However, I did have a chance to speech to the Advanced Level English Speaking nurse type.. the type who has come out of the govt system and gone on by scholarship to study for the Master's and Ph.D. abroad....

Sadly, and rightly so, these are not the types providing patient care, but instructing and sharing the knowledge gained from a Western nursing education and ecouraging young students nurses to dream on.

Funny it is all too classic the struggles some of these nurses over come... to think, a young girl from the village setting, making it to the Ph.D. ranks...and not trying to weasel out the responsibilities..