Any Audiophiles Out There?

Furbie

I am at a loss. I would like to purchase a good set of speakers (really looking for a good value/quality equation). I have loads of information on what is available to me in the US, but it is much tougher in Thailand. I see a lot of pioneer, etc, and JBL is displayed prominently, but I always believed JBL was a good budget speaker company – even then I am not sure about the best ones here. I am looking for a center channel and a left and right channel. I have a good 12” subwoofer already and a pretty good mid-range receiver. Not looking for standing speakers as I have the sub, unless a good case could be made. I have the rear L/R channels already, but the brand is not available in Thailand.

Suggestions welcome (not Bose), but they must be available in Thailand and less than 40,000 THB for the set.

Thanks!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also have a pair of Mordaunt-Short MS902i, as my rear speakers though.Excellent value for price. The rest of my speaker setup in also from MS.

Visit this website to have an idea of prices in Thailand

http://www.piyanas.com/en/index.php

Phil

Even if I don't go with this brand, the website is a real find. Did you use this store?

Hi

I have been to some of their showrooms in Bangkok, but as I live in Chiang Mai, I go to my favorite HiFi shop with a print of what I want , and they order it for me from Piyanas for a (very) little fee, I believe they also deliver throughout Thailand. They also answer mails..

Good luck.

Phil

The absolutely BEST bargain you'll find here is:

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Mezzo-6/

Now buying this one in Thailand and without any stickershock.

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPag...de=PWB000166919

26.900 baht.

Simply stunning - but beware of matching those with "bright"

amplification...

There is no better "value" available here.

The absolutely BEST bargain you'll find here is:

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Mezzo-6/

Now buying this one in Thailand and without any stickershock.

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPag...de=PWB000166919

26.900 baht.

Simply stunning - but beware of matching those with "bright"

amplification...

There is no better "value" available here.

Agreed. The MS speakers are pretty decent value and are generally available at the larger PowerBuy locations, as indeed are B&W (I know for a fact they have them in Central World Plaza). The B&W's run about 70% more than you'd pay in the US so beware; I also note that they still have discontinued models on display at original prices. If you're interested in B&W (you might get a "bookshelf" 6 series for 40K or less, I'm not sure) I'd go to their outlet in Gaysorn as a previous poster mentioned. If you do some searching Taiwan made speakers (some of which are excellent) actually run a lot cheaper in Thailand than in the US. Look at Usher cheaper models for example. I have a Thai friend who has the US$20k model he bought in Thailand for about $12k, so there are bargains to be had. Their US$1200 X-718 would fit your budget. Most importantly of all, find somewhere you can have a good listen before you buy. Trust your ears, not reviews or recommendations.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I run a successful smart home and home cinema installation company so feel that I am expert in this matter.

As nice as they may be your paradigms simply will not shift enough air or go deep enough for great home cinema without a subwoofer - that's not taking anything away from Paradigm speakers, I quite like them myself and my first ever subwoofer was a 12" Paradigm.

Edited by Benjie

A good friend of mine says "if you can hear your subwoofer it's too loud" agree 100%.

P.S. I like my PSB speakers better than paradigm.

For a nice center channel check out the Aerial Acoustics CC-5 with sound anchor stand. DECO 2000 Amarin Plaza.

Edited by powderpuff

The UK should be the cheapest for B&W speakers. I can check prices of models for you if you want and possibly bring a pair back in May. The new Wharfedale Diamonds are getting very good reviews too.

Both Focal and Usher are highly regarded, and no doubt Usher prices will be excellent in Thailand compared to USA and UK. In fact, Usher for retail in Taiwan is 3 times less than in the UK for any model, and even at those inflated prices they've won awards for performance vs price!

As with all speakers, they make the biggest difference to any system when changing them and their sound is the most subjective. Much of it depends on the cohesion with your other items and blindly buying an award-winner can bring a big disappointment if your amp, source, room acoustics or dimensions aren't suitable for it.

Just to comment on subwoofers: I think somebody else said it too - they are not so much for "hearing" as they are for feeling. My Yamaha receiver only sends the audio that's less than 70 hz (or is it 80? can't remember now) to the subwoofer so your ears don't really hear it as much as feel it (the doors shake etc.). Tha's why they are non-directional although a room corner is usually best.

Anyway... for me I turn off the subwoof for normal TV (via the reciever sound selection) as it's too distracting. But for movies, rock, and most music - can't live without it.

Please remember that we are all entitled to our opinions.

And this is why I dont like home theatre set ups, all that clumbsy bass and distortion, YUK. Theres no substitute for fine hi-fi audio (2 speakers) :)

and thats my opinion :D