Car Condition - How To Check?

Forethat

For someone who is not exacly a car wiz, what is the recommended process for checking the condition of a car (especially the motor)?

I am looking at a 2009 Toyouta Fortuner with 47000 km/h on the clock, but I have no clue why the owner is selling.

Can I bring it to a Toyota shop for a checkup?

If you dont want to spend money on the check up, do a simple check by bringing it to Toyota. Start in the body/paint shop to look for repaired accidents. Continue in servicedepartment, and go through their computer (you need the cars smart card) to see whats been done with it. Service scheduel is 1000 km and then every 10k km.

Finally check with insurancecompany if there has been any claim.

2009 Fortuner comes as MK1 and MK2, changed in November. The latter has larger brakes and 17" wheels to house them, new lights, VSC etc.

Edited by katabeachbum

If you dont want to spend money on the check up, do a simple check by bringing it to Toyota. Start in the body/paint shop to look for repaired accidents. Continue in servicedepartment, and go through their computer (you need the cars smart card) to see whats been done with it. Service scheduel is 1000 km and then every 10k km.

These are great ideas but i wonder how loikely it is that a tent dealer would let you take a car for a checkup. Might be easier with a private seller. I've done plenty of claims - nearly got the whole car resprayed - but that was just to fix a front bumper and scratches all over. So full details on any claim would need to be divulged - whether an insurance company would give that information to a third party I don't know.

Often it's best to get a car off of someone you know and has a known history. I did that with my first car and it turned out fine.

These are great ideas but i wonder how loikely it is that a tent dealer would let you take a car for a checkup. Might be easier with a private seller. I've done plenty of claims - nearly got the whole car resprayed - but that was just to fix a front bumper and scratches all over. So full details on any claim would need to be divulged - whether an insurance company would give that information to a third party I don't know.

Often it's best to get a car off of someone you know and has a known history. I did that with my first car and it turned out fine.

always best with known history, but if not:

insurance companies give out amount claimed from computer, and where its been repaired. if you want to know more, they have to check doc and photo files

if a tent dealer wants to sell at 1 mill baht, they would need to co op on a check. If not, it smells bad. worst case only bring the cars smart card to toyota to see whats been done. No smart card, probably no service, thats no more warranty, thats 200 k less value for a 2009.

Fortuners week of manufactor can be read on alu id plate in enginebay, day of making engine in front of engine, and of course week of making tyres on tyres walls. Reg books are usually not accurate. day of taking delivery in smart card., or if no smart card first day insurance is good indication.