World Cup 2010 Viewing?

lostboy777

SuperSport disappeared from Wetv June 1, ESPN isn't carrying the World Cup, and True Visions are only showing it live if you take their (f'cking) HD upgrade for 2000 baht plus 500 baht/month just to get two extra channels (TrueSportHD and HBOHD). I wouldn't be surprised if it was True Visions who pulled the strings to get SuperSport's feed dropped from WEtv so they could pressure all their customers to grab the HD "upgrade". In case you can't tell I HATE True Visions. I'm ok with Thai commentary but was hoping to draw business with English commentary same as I did with SuperSport broadcast 4 years ago. Bugger! TrueSport (channel 101) seem to be showing the games with English but delayed until next morning (who gives a toss if you can't watch it live?)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to Five Live via a VPN. Picture was about two seconds behind for the first 30 minutes but after that it was just about perfect. Probably a fluke. And no cut out after 71 minutes!

Definitely worth five pounds (that's the monthly cost but you can just cancel the subscription if you don't want to continue).

No names as probably not allowed on here but plenty if you search on google.

:Supersport 3 + 1 went from my sophon cable Tv here in pattaya a few days ago but they replaced those channels with astro sports which is great,English commentary :)

I've got Astro Supersport 2 on my cable in Khao Lak. Is that what you were watching it on? or another Astro Sport channel? Please tell me the same as mine!!!!!

i just watched South Africa vs Mexico match here:

ATDHE.Net - Watch Free Live Sports TV

Pretty good. Links to the next match will pop up nearer the time.

oh, FYI, the streaming was sent through Aljajeera Sport - so the commentaries were in English.

and you'll probably have to download and install veetle player, which wasn't bad at all.

Edited by vasavoir

:Supersport 3 + 1 went from my sophon cable Tv here in pattaya a few days ago but they replaced those channels with astro sports which is great,English commentary :)

And the commentator was fantastic, he just said what was necessary and didnt feel the need to try and become more important then the match itself like Motty and pretty much all commentators do in the UK.

Pity the channel didnt work until the 2nd half though, wont be a happy boy if it happens tomorrow night.

Been reading that Martin Tyler is signed up with ESPN to do commentary for World Cup games for them.

Yet when I listened to ESPN radio last night (while watching Thai TV3), it was 2 other commentators - 1 American, the other Irish I think.

Anyone any idea if/when/how we can listen to the commentary by the no.1 footy commentator legend himself - Martin Tyler?

Been reading that Martin Tyler is signed up with ESPN to do commentary for World Cup games for them.

Yet when I listened to ESPN radio last night (while watching Thai TV3), it was 2 other commentators - 1 American, the other Irish I think.

Anyone any idea if/when/how we can listen to the commentary by the no.1 footy commentator legend himself - Martin Tyler?

I was thinking the same thing. Except I was wondering how they found the only Irishman who appears to have not watched a game of tootball before.

I am sure the elite Englishman commentary will be TV only (i.e. not the ESPN radio on the internet). The intention is to create a sense of authenticity for the American watchers of the World Cup-- they associate soccer with English people. Just as American Football Handball Games are shown with american commentary in the UK.

On the rerun today, True had no commentary on the "English" soundtrack, just the sound from the stadium.  Those trumpets are pretty annoying!!   Hooray for the reruns, that's a big improvement on the last WC.  01.30 too late for me. 

im currently watching the korea greece game with english commentery. www.iraqgoals.net

pretty decent stream, i think its coming off a Australian channel, but its and English guy commentating. Just hope the site doesnt become too popular, will mess up my stream :)

any of you checked out this radio thing here?

SBS Radio

(they also had Greek commentary for the S Korea vs Greece game. Im guessing they will have German for the Aus vs German game)

If this hasn't already been posted, it explains why getting an English language commentary in Thailand will be difficult. Blame FIFA.

TrueVisions explains lack of English commentary

In response to Graham Doven's letter of June 9 regarding the lack of English commentary for the upcoming World Cup, TrueVisions would like to outline reasons for this situation. Unfortunately, TrueVisions is not able to provide an English-language commentary because, as the purchaser of the coverage from the local license holder, RS International Broadcasting and Sports Co Ltd, such service is not on offer.

In the past, TrueVisions had never broadcast the World Cup, as it has always been carried on free TV. However, as we have just launched our high definition service, TrueVisions believes it is good timing to be the sub-broadcasting licensee for the HD signal. Football fans can always watch the tournament on free TV but we wish to provide a crystal clear HD signal to our subscribers.

It is not a matter of TrueVisions paying extra for English commentary, but because that service is not available for us to purchase from the licence holder. TrueVisions' is only the sub-broadcasting licensee for the high definition signal.

This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries.

However, suggestions will be considered for the improvement of our service in the future.

Chulathai Saligupta

Senior Manager: Sports Programming TrueVisions

This letter sounds like a mixture of corporate spin and untruths.

I don't believe the audio was not available, anything in business has a price and is negotiable.

Why is piracy of an english commentary a problem? The only English-speaking neighbour is Malaysia, and they have English commentary for free. Remember we are only discussing the audio, the pictures are provided - aren't they a bigger concern for piracy?

Can someone explain this to me?

If this hasn't already been posted, it explains why getting an English language commentary in Thailand will be difficult. Blame FIFA.

TrueVisions explains lack of English commentary

In response to Graham Doven's letter of June 9 regarding the lack of English commentary for the upcoming World Cup, TrueVisions would like to outline reasons for this situation. Unfortunately, TrueVisions is not able to provide an English-language commentary because, as the purchaser of the coverage from the local license holder, RS International Broadcasting and Sports Co Ltd, such service is not on offer.

In the past, TrueVisions had never broadcast the World Cup, as it has always been carried on free TV. However, as we have just launched our high definition service, TrueVisions believes it is good timing to be the sub-broadcasting licensee for the HD signal. Football fans can always watch the tournament on free TV but we wish to provide a crystal clear HD signal to our subscribers.

It is not a matter of TrueVisions paying extra for English commentary, but because that service is not available for us to purchase from the licence holder. TrueVisions' is only the sub-broadcasting licensee for the high definition signal.

This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries.

However, suggestions will be considered for the improvement of our service in the future.

Chulathai Saligupta

Senior Manager: Sports Programming TrueVisions

This letter sounds like a mixture of corporate spin and untruths.

I don't believe the audio was not available, anything in business has a price and is negotiable.

Why is piracy of an english commentary a problem? The only English-speaking neighbour is Malaysia, and they have English commentary for free. Remember we are only discussing the audio, the pictures are provided - aren't they a bigger concern for piracy?

Can someone explain this to me?

Yep, you hear all those commentators (in between the oh ho's , mai gengs, mai dees and super saves) talking in Thai about SMS to win this or that?

Well suffice to say even the Thai bilingual folk don't want to listen to the Thai commentary as they prefer proper intelligent play by play, but local commercial interests (selling the on air verbal promo spots) pressured them into forcing Thai only commentary and no English feed - I am guessing.

Edited by bkkjames