World Cup 2010 Viewing?

lostboy777

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely, they wouldnt be that stupid...or would they....theres thousands of working class Thai families who have basic True package only, because thats all they can afford, are they going to piss off most Thais too by only showing it on HD pay channel?

What are you talking about Pat? The World Cup is, as always, being shown on terrestrial Thai TV so that everyone can see it.

Are you SURE its being shown on terrestrial TV too? It doesnt say so in the True Magazine, and we ve been confounded before, eg, Olympic coverage, crap, Rugby World Cup not shown, etc etc!!!

it's fifa rules that every country with a terrestrial network gets to show a world cup. thankfully they've not entirely privatised it yet.

Surely, they wouldnt be that stupid...or would they....theres thousands of working class Thai families who have basic True package only, because thats all they can afford, are they going to piss off most Thais too by only showing it on HD pay channel?

What are you talking about Pat? The World Cup is, as always, being shown on terrestrial Thai TV so that everyone can see it.

Are you SURE its being shown on terrestrial TV too? It doesnt say so in the True Magazine, and we ve been confounded before, eg, Olympic coverage, crap, Rugby World Cup not shown, etc etc!!!

it's fifa rules that every country with a terrestrial network gets to show a world cup. thankfully they've not entirely privatised it yet.

I wonder if FIFA rules stretch to Pyongyang ?? :)

I honestly read soemthing a while back where even if they lose their Games, they will dub the Game sot look as if the N Koreans are by far the better side & will only show their attacks & not the other Country's, including the Goals..

I wonder if FIFA rules stretch to Pyongyang ?? :)

I honestly read soemthing a while back where even if they lose their Games, they will dub the Game sot look as if the N Koreans are by far the better side & will only show their attacks & not the other Country's, including the Goals..

massively edited highlights with cruel refereeing decisions mocked up and inserted in.

massively edited highlights with cruel refereeing decisions mocked up and inserted in.

"see how Supreme-sub Kim Jong-il comes on in extra time of the final and scores the Great winning goal with a Divine bicycle kick !!!"

I wonder if FIFA rules stretch to Pyongyang ?? :D

Bit like MUTV then :)

The True Visions office assured me all the World Cup games on HD channel 111 will be in English and Thai.

If you have the gold package now, you must pay an additional B2,000 deposit and an additional B290 a month to get the HD box (your TV must be HD compatible), and you must sign up for at least 6 months.

For that you get 2 extra channels - 111 is sport and 112 is movies.

So,according to the World Cup Guide in this months True mag,from the 22/6-25/6, there will be 2 games kicking off @ 21.00 hours,and 2 games [email protected] and the starred games will be in HD,so no HD for Slovenia v England,but HD for USA v Algeria?.Also,unless you have 2 UBC boxes,you will only be able to watch one game per time for these 4 days.Her's hoping the other games are on Thai tv.

PST.

So,according to the World Cup Guide in this months True mag,from the 22/6-25/6, there will be 2 games kicking off @ 21.00 hours,and 2 games [email protected] and the starred games will be in HD,so no HD for Slovenia v England,but HD for USA v Algeria?.Also,unless you have 2 UBC boxes,you will only be able to watch one game per time for these 4 days.Her's hoping the other games are on Thai tv.

PST.

Wow, sounds like True are taking the p*ss there..

Terrestrial Thai TV is alright for me, Somchai Boardman or Martin Tyler commentatinng, i don't care..

PST.

There's a footnote in Thai that I think says "one game at the same time in the same group will be shown later (delayed?)".

PST.

Spoke to True Visions today & they confirmed that all the matches will be shown on Thai TV with Thai commentary only & adverts during the game. Also, all the games will be shown in HD on Channel 111. In the case of the final group games where both matches are played at the same time one game will be shown live while the other one will be recorded & shown later, except for USA v Algeria which will be shown live on HBO HD (Channel 112). To watch the HD channels you have to buy an HD receiver & pay an extra monthly subscription.

Looks like I will be watching the games down my local - at least my wife will be able to watch her soaps.

The True Visions office assured me all the World Cup games on HD channel 111 will be in English and Thai.

If you have the gold package now, you must pay an additional B2,000 deposit and an additional B290 a month to get the HD box (your TV must be HD compatible), and you must sign up for at least 6 months.

Typical Thailand.!!!!

I have just spoken to True this morning.......... This is what they told me

Their TV coverage is in HD,

HOWEVER IT WILL ONLY BE THAI COMMENTARY.... NOT ENGLISH!!!

As they are using the same platform as Thai tv.

There is no English commentary in Thailand!!!

I asked the guy to double check, as I had seen the comments on here. He said he could guarantee NO English commentary, but he would double check and get back to me next week!

This is serious sh!t!!!

There is no way I can put up with Somchai and his motley crew and their inane blabberings for a month.

What other satellite services are available??

Typical Thailand.!!!!

I asked the guy to double check, as I had seen the comments on here. He said he could guarantee NO English commentary, but he would double check and get back to me next week!

This is serious sh!t!!!

There is no way I can put up with Somchai and his motley crew and their inane blabberings for a month.

Not in the least bit surprised mate. Since 2002 i can't remember any competition, be it World Cup or Euros, that has had English commentary. For me it's not so much the commentary i miss, it's the muffled down audio from the pitch. So much of the atmosphere comes from that noise.

Typical Thailand.!!!!

This is serious sh!t!!!

Not in the least bit surprised mate. Since 2002 i can't remember any competition, be it World Cup or Euros, that has had English commentary. For me it's not so much the commentary i miss, it's the muffled down audio from the pitch. So much of the atmosphere comes from that noise.

I must be going senile, because this will be the 3rd World Cup since I have lived here, and I honestly do not remember listening to Thai commentary. The reason I say that is it drives me crazy, I detest it. For a month I would surely remember it!!!! Yet I just cannot recall.

Anyway, I would suggest to any members who have True..... if they are told it will be in English commentary..... to get something in writing confirming it, before paying for it. Because with less than a month to go, it would appear that there are already different 'versions' of what will be available

I must be going senile, because this will be the 3rd World Cup since I have lived here, and I honestly do not remember listening to Thai commentary. The reason I say that is it drives me crazy, I detest it. For a month I would surely remember it!!!! Yet I just cannot recall.

Anyway, I would suggest to any members who have True..... if they are told it will be in English commentary..... to get something in writing confirming it, before paying for it. Because with less than a month to go, it would appear that there are already different 'versions' of what will be available

Yep must be senility mate. :) I remember clearly because like you, it gets me crazy every time! Check out this thread in 2006:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/World-Cup-Th...mp;hl=world+cup

I was watching La Liga last night in HD on True but it wasn't on any of the other channels which suggests that this might be the case with the world cup too. They had the option to switch between English, English with Dolby Digital, or Thai soundtracks.

I like a few other members here have called True and was told HD on channel 111 will be thai only..... no english. If anyone has any ideas on other ways to get the world cup in english let me know....

and does anyone remember what happened the night englands first game of last world cup ???? i do.... had my dad and his brother in law my place.... all ready beers in hand ready for the game and...... for 30 minutes all channels showed re-runs of the royals events the day. That was a giggle.....

Whats the betting that if Thailand had somehow managed to qualify forWC 2010, English commentary would have been the first thing they'd have promoted.

Amazing Thailand indeed.

PST.

Edited by PST

I have just signed up for the true HD package and it went as follows:

As I am already a Gold subscriber it cost 2000thb deposit for the HD receiver (4000thb if new customer or silver package customer)

I have to keep UBC for another 6 months ( Ive had it 5 years so no problem) in order to get my 4000thb deposit back ( 2000thb for the HD and 2000 thb for my origional Gold package deposit)

I got a promotion on the HD package (before 31st may) sign up for 6 month and you pay 290thb for the first 3 month and then you get the last 3 month free.

After the 6 month you can cancel the HD package and just keep with the origional Gold package that I have anyway.

They took my old receiver box and replaced it with the HD box on set up.

So in effect with the promotion I get to see the World Cup games for under 900thb, pretty good value IMHO.

When Ive had enough of UBC i just cancel as long as its after 6 month to get my deposit back as normal.

Ive also been 100% guarenteed that the HD channel and all the World cup games will be in English.

So happy days!

I have just signed up for the true HD package and it went as follows:

As I am already a Gold subscriber it cost 2000thb deposit for the HD receiver (4000thb if new customer or silver package customer)

I have to keep UBC for another 6 months ( Ive had it 5 years so no problem) in order to get my 4000thb deposit back ( 2000thb for the HD and 2000 thb for my origional Gold package deposit)

I got a promotion on the HD package (before 31st may) sign up for 6 month and you pay 290thb for the first 3 month and then you get the last 3 month free.

After the 6 month you can cancel the HD package and just keep with the origional Gold package that I have anyway.

They took my old receiver box and replaced it with the HD box on set up.

So in effect with the promotion I get to see the World Cup games for under 900thb, pretty good value IMHO.

When Ive had enough of UBC i just cancel as long as its after 6 month to get my deposit back as normal.

Ive also been 100% guarenteed that the HD channel and all the World cup games will be in English.

So happy days!

Well I hope you have that in writing, as I have just got off the phone with True. They reitterated that commentary is in Thai ONLY. Not English.

RS company has bought the rights, True have then done a deal with RS.

However they have only bought the pictures NOT the commentary signal????!!!!

I have now called True twice and been given the same story twice.

If someone can get confirmation IN WRITING from True about English commentary, then please PM me and publish on here.... I am desperate to watch the WC with English commentary, but True keep telling me it aint gonna happen.

last world cup was aired on free to air TV. no advertising during the game, only during half time.

if i remember correctly.

major sponsor was Chang beer. hence they could manage with out the ads during games.

I imagine if that happened 4, or even 8 years ago, the state of affairs and interests in the games having gone up in those years would ensure that at least similar arrangement would be available?

(cant remember about english commentary though......but have a feeling that was also an option even on free tv?)

This being Thailand I don't hold the guarentee to much, Id like it in english but I can put up with out it as long as there are no adverts in the games like on thai TV.

agree with this. if i can watch it with english commentary that would be nice, but if not i'll live so long as it's annoying advert-free.

don't know why i'm that bothered about the english commentary anyway, i only end up swearing at the telly in response to whatever ill-informed balls the blert co-commentators trot out.

This being Thailand I don't hold the guarentee to much, Id like it in english but I can put up with out it as long as there are no adverts in the games like on thai TV.

agree with this. if i can watch it with english commentary that would be nice, but if not i'll live so long as it's annoying advert-free.

don't know why i'm that bothered about the english commentary anyway, i only end up swearing at the telly in response to whatever ill-informed balls the blert co-commentators trot out.

im the same as regards the swearing at the box and to be honest if i really wanted to listen to someone talking <deleted> all the way through the game, Id invite the Mrs to watch it with me. :)