Ajahn Sumedho Retiring

camerata

I had the good fortune to talk to Ajahn Kusalo (of Ajahn Sumedho's lineage and currently setting up a monastery in Canada) for half an hour last night and apparently the big news in the Western Sangha at present is that Ajahn Sumedho will be retiring and Ajahn Amaro will take over as abbott of Amaravati Monastery in the UK.

I asked Ajahn Kusalo about how exactly one goes about founding a monastery, whether permission is needed from the Thai Sangha and whether they provide any funding. Apparently, once a monk has been in robes for 5 vassas they pretty much trust him to do the right thing. So he is free to set up a monastery anywhere he wants - if he can get local support for it - and no funding is provided by the Sangha. This explains why the request by the elders of Ajahn Chah's monastery to get control of foreign monasteries probably won't go anywhere.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

is he at wat pah pong??

Dear All

Yes Luang Por has retired at Kathina and is now I believe back in Ubon in Thailand where he trained. He is now Luang Bo!

I used to attend Amaravati and know both the new Abbot and Luang Por.

With Metta

Graham

is he at wat pah pong??

Yes, I can never remember Thai names, but he planned to go back where he trained to retire and just help out. He spend 35 years in Britainand wanted a change and go back to his Buddhist roots. Maybe we can visit him sometime, I have friends in Ubon too.

With Metta

Graham

Edited by GrahamR

i live ony an hour away!! my sister in law saw him in vancouver not long ago and was very happy she did

is he at wat pah pong??

Yes, I can never remember Thai names, but he planned to go back where he trained to retire and just help out. He spend 35 years in Britainand wanted a change and go back to his Buddhist roots. Maybe we can visit him sometime, I have friends in Ubon too.

With Metta

Graham

i live ony an hour away!! my sister in law saw him in vancouver not long ago and was very happy she did

Hi,

Yes, he's an excellent speaker and well worth a visit if you can hear him speak. I've seen the Temple at Amaravati full with listeners.

With Metta

Graham

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...