Visa Start Date

I will be travelling to LoS from the UK on a 'Type O' visa in June and am unclear as to when my 90 day period actually starts. Does it commence from the date the visa is issued at the embassy or does it start when my passport is stamped by BKK immigration? Any advice would be very welcome. :o

90 days from arrival.

The visa is just a recommendation by a Thai embassy/consulate to let you enter the country.

The decision to do so (susually they do) is with the immigration police officer at the border. S/he will give you 90 days once they saw you and the stamp wioll read:

Permitted to stay until .....

If you have a single o, the visa is void once used and you follow the permission date.

90 days from arrival.

The visa is just a recommendation by a Thai embassy/consulate to let you enter the country.

The decision to do so (susually they do) is with the immigration police officer at the border. S/he will give you 90 days once they saw you and the stamp wioll read:

Permitted to stay until .....

If you have a single o, the visa is void once used and you follow the permission date.

many thanks - that make sense! On the same subject, is it possible to extend tis type of visa (for 30/60 days) while I'm in Thailand? What is the procedure?

Do you have a multi-entry 'O'??

If so, the easiest extension is to hop on the bus to Cambodia and do a quick in and out, nice new 90 day stamp.

Not sure if you can extend a single entry 'O' at immigration. Anyone??

many thanks - that make sense! On the same subject, is it possible to extend tis type of visa (for 30/60 days) while I'm in Thailand? What is the procedure?

No, generally a non-imm O will not be extented, unless for marriage or retirement.

In these 2 cases you can apply for extension year by year as long as the conditions apply. Guess this does not concern you. :o

If it is a single entry you have to leave after 90 days and the visa will be expired anyway.

If you have multiple entries the visa (non-imm O) is valid for 1 year from issue.

Every time you enter you will get another 90 days, last entry close to expiry of the multiple visa would finally lastnearly 150 days.

Important, you chck single or multiple entries inthe visa.