Wild Mekong Cafish

jackinbkk

Does anyone know what bait can be used for wild mekong catfish? i.e. Fish not kept in a pay lake

which have never seen bread etc...

In the wild they eat aquatic plant life and are supposed to be herbivores only although I would have my doubts

about that.

If one wanted to catch a wild mekong catfish on a rod and line what setup could be possible.

I think a spring feeder rig with some weed in it may get some strange looks :)

p.s. This would be catch and release of course.

Dont know the answer but i bet a dead bait would get results. Also a monster boilie would work. Fish eat and if these baits work on the commercials they must work on the river. I will be moving soon to Roi Et and would love a pioneering trip to the river. Contact me anytime if you are up for it. regards John.

• 1 month later...
Dont know the answer but i bet a dead bait would get results. Also a monster boilie would work. Fish eat and if these baits work on the commercials they must work on the river. I will be moving soon to Roi Et and would love a pioneering trip to the river. Contact me anytime if you are up for it. regards John.

Niether of those baits would likely to work for a Wild Mekong Catfish, they are filter feeders. We have had takes from wild Mekong Catfish on a lake we fish outside of Hua Hin that is about 1km square using simialr methods to those used in fishing parks. The result? Spooled in less than a minute! When you say wild it really depends on your definition. If you mean the Mekong River and its tributories I think I would suggest you forget such a venture as it would be likely nigh on impossible to even find a fish, let alone get a take from a wild river Mekong catfish. If you did get a take though my suggestiion is that it would likely come by trotting a 1kg ball of lum under a huge float with several hooks (rather than 1) trailing in the stream of lum that has broken off the main bait ball, use a strong smell in the bait and spend around 20 seasons waiting for a take!