Where To Enjoy Coffee In The Rai...

villagefarang

I am not a fan of hot, grimy, rundown, little shophouse establishments. Smashed up against a wall or sitting uncomfortably in the sun, on uneven sidewalks, inches from passing traffic, inhaling unpleasant aromas wafting through the air, is not my idea of ambiance.

When I am in town, maybe once or twice a week, I seem to end up at one of the following establishment for a cappuccino. S&P, Wa Wee, Doi Chang or Black Canyon. Flavor, presentation, ambiance and convenience seem not to be found in any one location. Two out of four seems the best one can hope for.

I was just wondering. Where is you favorite place for coffee in the Rai and why?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Dutch neighbour, who's a 20 cup a day man, is a regular at the place on the corner of Baanpa Phragam Road and Phisit Sa Nguan, the lane that runs directly to the Wang Come.

I'm not a coffee person, the occasional latte does me, but it seems fine to me. It's a bit trafficy but you can sit at the back of the cafe. I quite like it out side watching the girls go by.

My Dutch neighbour, who's a 20 cup a day man, is a regular at the place on the corner of Baanpa Phragam Road and Phisit Sa Nguan, the lane that runs directly to the Wang Come.

I'm not a coffee person, the occasional latte does me, but it seems fine to me. It's a bit trafficy but you can sit at the back of the cafe. I quite like it out side watching the girls go by.

That sounds as if it is a block west of Doi Chang. Is there parking there or do you just look for a place on the road?

I have never considered girl-watching as part of my coffee ritual but can see how it would be a major plus if you are not too keen on the coffee. :)

That place is good but I'm a fan of Cafe Amazon at the PTT gas station (don't knock it til you've tried it!). I only drink ice coffee so can't vouch for the hot stuff but the cappuccino yen here is, IMO, much nicer than anything else available in CR and 20-30baht cheaper too. One of the nicest spots in terms of ambiance though is Le Petite cafe, nice coffee and cakes and good central location too.

That place is good but I'm a fan of Cafe Amazon at the PTT gas station (don't knock it til you've tried it!). I only drink ice coffee so can't vouch for the hot stuff but the cappuccino yen here is, IMO, much nicer than anything else available in CR and 20-30baht cheaper too. One of the nicest spots in terms of ambiance though is Le Petite cafe, nice coffee and cakes and good central location too.

Location please. :) Which gas station and where exactly is Le Petite? I'm sure I have seen it but can't remember where. Not sure that I would go to a gas station to drink coffee, but I'll take your word that it is good.

The title stressed enjoyment and not cost, but surely many will be interested in the cheaper venues, so thanks for the tip.

Perhaps and example would be helpful. The following personal assessment is from a recent blog post of mine.

"The two main, Thai coffee brands, are Doi Chang and Wa Wee, both with their own coffee shops in Chiang Rai. Doi Chang is arguable the better tourist or farang location, only a short walk from the Night Bazar area.

Doi Chang is located on a convenient corner, in an older, slightly rundown building. The decor wisely uses that to advantage with a rustic, relaxed feel. The location, tight quarters, mismatched furnishings, a little garden/pond area at the entrance, as well as a couple of antique computers, create a place that seems to attract farangs.

Personally I like the muffins, and the food and pastry selection appears appetizing from what I have seen, but the cappuccino is served in a smallish glass cup with a brownish foam that I personally find unattractive and unappetizing. At least it is not a paper cup, but neither is it a proper ceramic cup. If you want to be among other farangs you will overlook the coffee presentation and substandard foam. The cats, that sometimes make a leisurely perusal of the premises, (a Persian and a Siamese if I am not mistaken) add a homey touch for animal lovers.

Wa Wee is also located on a corner, but the parking area out front, can only be accessed by a oneway road not far from the famous Ha Yak intersection. While convenient for bank and government workers in that area, it is not as convenient for many farangs. Unlike Doi Chang, this place is very modern with a more Thai clientele. Kind of a Thai version of Starbucks with clean modern lines, plenty of space and comfy seating options, that seem to appeal to a more upmarket Thai crowd. Even the computers, Apple iMacs, say modern and trendy.

The large cappuccino is served in a brown ceramic mug, which again, I prefer to a glass cup. The food or snack selection did not appeal to me and the (order & pay) first, reminded me of Starbucks in Bangkok. Not necessarily a bad thing. The presence of Thais in office attire is in stark contrast to the sometimes colorful farangs one encounters at Doi Chang. One can be fooled into thinking one is in a much bigger city."

• Like 1

That sounds as if it is a block west of Doi Chang. Is there parking there or do you just look for a place on the road?

I have never considered girl-watching as part of my coffee ritual but can see how it would be a major plus if you are not too keen on the coffee. :)

You can park across the road between the clocktower and the bank. Sometimes a lady will confront you and demand 4 baht.

The best option is to park at the WangCome and walk through, then you can check out the specials in Top and run your eye over the Edison department store girls on the way back.

The sceadugengan have multitasking down to a fine art. :D

Sorry VF, I wasn't suggesting that you should frequent one of the 'cheaper' venues, especially as it's located at a gas station! I was merely replying to your post, that's where I enjoy my coffee. I would also rather pay more for good coffee but thought I'd mention the cost as I believe it to be better than Doi Chaang, Wawee, Black Canyon etc yet cheaper, usually that's not the case.

Cafe Amazon are located at two PTT gas stations, one is about 1km after the bridge over the Kok River heading towards Mae Sai, the other in the opposite direction just after the King Mengrai monument. Le Petite cafe is on the road that's 2nd left when travelling up from the old airport (Sanarnbin Rd?), after you've turned left it's about 2-300mtrs on your left side. Look forward to hearing if either are to your high standards!

Sceau, you really think VF would shop in somewhere like Edison or cares about saving 4baht?!

Edited by skybluestu

Sorry VF, I wasn't suggesting that you should frequent one of the 'cheaper' venues, especially as it's located at a gas station! I was merely replying to your post, that's where I enjoy my coffee. I would also rather pay more for good coffee but thought I'd mention the cost as I believe it to be better than Doi Chaang, Wawee, Black Canyon etc yet cheaper, usually that's not the case.

Cafe Amazon are located at two PTT gas stations, one is about 1km after the bridge over the Kok River heading towards Mae Sai, the other in the opposite direction just after the King Mengrai monument. Le Petite cafe is on the road that's 2nd left when travelling up from the old airport (Sanarnbin Rd?), after you've turned left it's about 2-300mtrs on your left side. Look forward to hearing if either are to your high standards!

Sceau, you really think VF would shop in somewhere like Edison or cares about saving 4baht?!

Second left heading N on Airport Road, on my map, should be Sankhongnoi Road. I'm more familiar with Sankhongluang as that is where we take our dog to the vet. Will have a look next time I am in that area.

I normally stop at ESSO stations but seem to remember the wife needing an urgent pitstop and pulling into that PTT on the way to Makro. Now I remember the Amazon sign.

The "cheap" remark was not meant for you or anyone in particular. It is just that the endless discussion of cost often distracts from other salient points of interest.

If Amazon is what you enjoy then that is good enough for me. I would hazard a guess that it is also on your way home or where you regularly gas up your vehicle. We often have practical reasons for the places we frequent as well.

Sorry I missed that last line.

You are correct that I don't shop at Edison but the wife has looked in there a few times, usually with not much success.

We normally leave apparel shopping for Chiang Mai or Bangkok, except for the more arty handicraft things which one can sometimes stumble upon in the Rai.

No, it's not that one (I also take my dog to that vet), it's the other one at the other set of traffic lights, maybe the 1st left. Definitely worth a visit, lovely place.

Cafe Amazon is indeed on my way home but even if it wasn't I would still go there. If quality of coffee is what I'm after then Cafe Amazon is where I'll go, if I have more time to relax then Le Petite.

S & P's, Blue Cup cappuccino, is my favorite and is served in a signature white ceramic coffee cup, a bit larger than most and holds its heat and foamy head well. That is important if one wants to enjoy that unique cappuccino experience.

There is not much atmosphere but the staff are very attentive and it is a cool, clean, convenient place to sit and wait for my wife if she needs a little more time than usual.

I live at the opposite end of the country but when in CR always enjoy spending a nice cool season morning sitting outside at Doi Chang.

Amazon is a good chain, and now at almost all bigger PTT stations nationwide. I can vouch for the hot coffee as well as the cold. I practically live on their Amazon Phiset (extra strong blend) when on the road.

There is probably 500 gormet coffee shops in Chiangrai province, take your pick. Most all petro stations have them. Counted 20 from CR to Mae Sai on the left side only. Why would you want good coffee, when there is Nescafe instant, that gives u the same buzz? :)

{Quote: I am not a fan of hot, grimy, rundown, little shophouse establishments. Smashed up against a wall or sitting uncomfortably in the sun, on uneven sidewalks, inches from passing traffic, inhaling unpleasant aromas wafting through the air, is not my idea of ambiance.

When I am in town, maybe once or twice a week, I seem to end up at one of the following establishment for a cappuccino. S&P, Wa Wee, Doi Chang or Black Canyon. Flavor, presentation, ambiance and convenience seem not to be found in any one location. Two out of four seems the best one can hope for.

I was just wondering. Where is you favorite place for coffee in the Rai and why?" End quote}

I can't say that I have a favorite. More like a cluster of favorites, maybe. Depends on where I am in the city and how much time I have to goof off. I too, am not a fan of the hot or rundown places when I decide I have time to really sit and enjoy. Doi Chang is tops for those times when I can just sit and relax. But my favorite brew can be found at a little place right next door to a coffin shop on Ruamchittawai Rd, between Sunsoud Soi 5 and Sanambin Rd. They have an iced green tea latte that is superb (30 Baht). The docs, nurses and staff of CR Hospital kind of overrun the place sometimes and I pass it up when they have taken over the place. Usually, I am lucky enough that the place has only two or three customers.

There are a few other really special places but I don't get to those parts of the town or country often. I even know of a place that serves the finest gelled coffee with a layer of thick cream on top. Comes in a special little custard dish and a gold spoon. It is six kilometers or so out of the city on the old CM highway (1211), left side, next to a fairly good restaurant. Maybe some of you know the place. Just a little wooden hut with outdoor seating. You do have the highway noise there but the coffee will make you forget about that. The place certainly has a loyal following, Thai and Farang alike. The tables always have fresh flowers placed in the center and the bees are always busy working the flowers and ignoring the coffee drinkers. The couple that run the place grow and export coffee. They know their stuff. I've had some enchanting afternoons and met some some really good people there. Just writing about it makes me miss it. I had better head out there in a day or so.

I have to admit, Nescafe Red Cup is my morning drink at home. Quick and easy. I avoided instant coffee for most of my life but later had to get used to it while working several years in a place with nothing but instant and it grew on me. It is the one thing the wife could always send back with me after R&R and I could carry enough to last six months. These days, after six or eight cups of Red Cup every morning, I can start my day. But it sure does make me appreciate the stuff that takes time and care to make when I finally get out and try a cup. That is just one of the reasons that Doi Chang tastes so good every time I make that stop. What a nice cup of hot, fresh, black coffee.

Edited by kandahar

For the "instant" drinkers .. I recently found a coffee called Tchibo (German) that claims to be 100% Colombian (I do so miss my Yuban). Got it at Tesco. I normally drink Khaoshong Daang, but it is not always easy to find outside Bangkok.

Nescafe is, for me, "when nothing else is available".

Le Petite cafe is on the road that's 2nd left when travelling up from the old airport (Sanarnbin Rd?), after you've turned left it's about 2-300mtrs on your left side. Look forward to hearing if either are to your high standards!

I apologize for my tardiness. It was not until today that I was able to sample the pleasures of Le Petit Café. A pleasure it was indeed. Thank you skyblue for the excellent recommendation. I have even entered it on my Google Map.

It is located on the left side of Sankhongnoi Road, right on the corner of Soi 3. The signage is not large so I have included a picture from the street. Definitely worth a visit, or two.

Coffee%20Shop%20001.jpg

My neck of these woods, north of the city, has some great coffee shops. I can almost guarantee you won't find a nicer place for coffee (or homemade ice cream) then Doy Din Daeng, the stoneware pottery factory. The coffee shop is a new addition, with excellent coffee served in stoneware mugs, in a beautiful setting. They are closed from noon to 1pm and closed on Sunday. It's on the Chiang Rai Google map, but to get there look for the big ceramic pots after the Ban Den intersection (heading north), u-turn, and follow the signs.

Other great coffee shops are nearby as well. In fact, instead of u-turning for Doy Din Daeng at the big pots, stop for incredibly good pad thai at the first restaurant on the left (with a red sign). Then, about 500 meters down the road (after the place that sells trees), you will see Aye Un (in Thai) coffee shop (also on the left), run by two sisters. Great coffee and a cute, tiny place with some "antiques". The pad thai - iced coffee tour never gets old! A newer shop is on the opposite side of the road (a few hundred meters before the Ban Den intersection heading south), which doubles for the office of a new housing development. They have a nice air-con room, large patio, and great coffee as well.

Doy Din Daeng didn't even cross my mind. We indeed enjoyed coffee and sweets the last time we were there. I saw it more as a convenience for their ceramics shoppers than as a separate or specific coffee destination.

The serving girl was not exactly a barista but it was a nice place to wait while the girls were shopping.

• 2 months later...

I haven't tried any new places for awhile but I do continue to frequent a few of my favorite places. Yesterday I found myself at Wa Wee, in the early afternoon. I was somewhat surprised to find as many as thirty people in there at one time. Saw a total of a dozen farangs, as well. There were several laptops in use and the two iMacs were continuously occupied. Other than being a bit noisy, it was nice to people watch and sip my large cappuccino, before getting back on the motorbike. Rang up a couple of friends while there but they were busier than I. :)

There's a new two-storey one opened recently very close to the gold clock tower. If you're travelling from the direction of Doi Chaang it's on your left side just before the clock. Not been there yet but each time I've passed it there's usually quite a few people there. I think the same owners could have one up at Mae Fah Luang Uni too.

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like the one a friend refers to with remarks about Mafioso. I'll reserve opinion until I have been there myself.

Took the wife to Le Petit the other day and she quite enjoyed it, even though she isn't a coffee drinker. :)

I haven't tried any new places for awhile but I do continue to frequent a few of my favorite places. Yesterday I found myself at Wa Wee, in the early afternoon. I was somewhat surprised to find as many as thirty people in there at one time. Saw a total of a dozen farangs, as well. There were several laptops in use and the two iMacs were continuously occupied. Other than being a bit noisy, it was nice to people watch and sip my large cappuccino, before getting back on the motorbike. Rang up a couple of friends while there but they were busier than I. :)

Wa Wee is a coffee shop where at least one direct marketing crowd rendez-vous, especially around lunch time; thus the laptop bashers. They do have free wifi there.

• 4 weeks later...
There's a new two-storey one opened recently very close to the gold clock tower. If you're travelling from the direction of Doi Chaang it's on your left side just before the clock. Not been there yet but each time I've passed it there's usually quite a few people there. I think the same owners could have one up at Mae Fah Luang Uni too.

Finally made it to this establishment with a friend. The manager came over to greet us. A bit overly effusive in his manner but a very nice guy. The coffee was more on a par with Black Canyon but was okay.

With the bikes conveniently parked curbside we stumbled over to the first table. With the clock tower in view it seemed a reasonable location. Perhaps even more lively in the evening but that I will never know.

Finally made it to this establishment with a friend. The manager came over to greet us. A bit overly effusive in his manner but a very nice guy. The coffee was more on a par with Black Canyon but was okay.

With the bikes conveniently parked curbside we stumbled over to the first table. With the clock tower in view it seemed a reasonable location. Perhaps even more lively in the evening but that I will never know.

Effusive VF; maybe your sending out the wrong Signals. Try some positive manly thoughts next time he approaches you.

I just don't get it with all these Coffee places, A couple of years ago there was perhaps 2 or 3 places, now there are hundreds, maybe thousands here in Chiang Rai. A decent Cup of Coffee's about the price of a Beer too. I just don't get it :)

Effusive VF; maybe your sending out the wrong Signals. Try some positive manly thoughts next time he approaches you.

I just don't get it with all these Coffee places, A couple of years ago there was perhaps 2 or 3 places, now there are hundreds, maybe thousands here in Chiang Rai. A decent Cup of Coffee's about the price of a Beer too. I just don't get it :)

Pure blasphemy Jubby. Everyone knows that coffee is the elixir of life, or was that some other beverage? Anyway, you can never have too many good coffee shops. :D

Pure blasphemy Jubby. Everyone knows that coffee is the elixir of life, or was that some other beverage? Anyway, you can never have too many good coffee shops. :D

Indeed VF. It may well be the elixir of life but I can get it for 5baht at home, add Milk & sugar to taste and its Coffee.

Is there anyone else in there but you and your mate. Who are all the customers ? I suspect average Thai blokes still going to spend that 60 baht on beer or whiskey or women rather than on coffee, which leaves who ? Farangs, same again with Beer I suspect.

Tell me I'm wrong and these places are buzzing , It won't be the first or last time I've been proven wrong :D