Where To Enjoy Coffee In The Rai...

villagefarang

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found some Jasmine Tea Bags at Makro. I think ARO , there own make. probably the best I'e had here. I used to get bags of Green Tea from my Visits to Mai sai, but I seemed to use a bag a week, so somethings not right. It WOULD be nice to have a Neighbour who grows it.

or smoke its ;-)

I know this is about where to enjoy Coffee but I wanted to post about which Tea I enjoy too, hopefully nobody will object as it's also a caffeine based beverage.

OK, so it's also off-topic as it's not about where I enjoy it either because I drink it at home but Tops English Breakfast Tea is a lovely brew, if you enjoy a cuppa and not tried it yet then drop by Tops on your next trip to town, you won't be disappointed!

Just look at what you have done. What's next on this slippery slope of Tea Talk? I fear Tea Parties are soon to follow. Woe is me. :shock1:

I know this is about where to enjoy Coffee but I wanted to post about which Tea I enjoy too, hopefully nobody will object as it's also a caffeine based beverage.

OK, so it's also off-topic as it's not about where I enjoy it either because I drink it at home but Tops English Breakfast Tea is a lovely brew, if you enjoy a cuppa and not tried it yet then drop by Tops on your next trip to town, you won't be disappointed!

Just look at what you have done. What's next on this slippery slope of Tea Talk? I fear Tea Parties are soon to follow. Woe is me. :shock1:

As long as they do not reintroduce Tea Dances.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this is the coffee thread, it seems appropriate at this point considering our digression, that someone brings up the subject of Kopi Luwak. Would you or wouldn't you drink the stuff? :)

I've tried it once.. It has excellent taste but very expensive. I thought it is the most expensive coffee. You guys can try

Last time I was in Doi Chaang for a coffee, wednesday I believe, the place was absolutely overrun with farangs. ;) Three guys I knew, one introduction, a smattering of regulars and loads of what appeared to be young NGO types. Don't know if it is a trend or just a one off. :huh:

For my continental friends, I was referencing Tea Parties in the peculiar modern day political trend in the US. I assume it conjures different imagery in the minds of others.

Ah yes, very different imagery, your tea parties would be of the Boston variety, instigating revolution, protests against over-taxation and colonialism.

Ours would conjure up images of senior citizens embarking on coach journeys to tired old sea-side resorts where a band would sweep them back to a more romantic era.

Jubby, obviously will be wearing bells on his trousers next time you see him, he may have a stout stick made from Yew too!

For my continental friends, I was referencing Tea Parties in the peculiar modern day political trend in the US. I assume it conjures different imagery in the minds of others.

Ah yes, very different imagery, your tea parties would be of the Boston variety, instigating revolution, protests against over-taxation and colonialism.

Ours would conjure up images of senior citizens embarking on coach journeys to tired old sea-side resorts where a band would sweep them back to a more romantic era.

Jubby, obviously will be wearing bells on his trousers next time you see him, he may have a stout stick made from Yew too!

Biff, anythings possible as I continue down my slippery slope to oblivion. "Try anything once except incest and morris Dancing " :whistling:

The wife says I'm more likely to be wearing my Balls on my trousers and the stout stick will be fed to the Ducks :(

Edited by jubby

• 2 months later...

Doi Chaang Coffee seems to have turned into a mainstay for many a local farang in quest of a decent coffee, newspaper, wifi, a friendly face and conversation. Quite a few regulars to be found there.

I reportedly missed a group of bikers from Chiang Mai the other morning, by no more than 5 or 10 minutes. Perhaps next time. :)

• 3 months later...

Doi Chaang was a hub of farang activity this morning. Two Johns, James, George, Lars, Richard, and at least three other people I have met before but can’t recall their names at the moment. Even bumped into, none other than, Sceadugenga.

Of the coffee shops I frequent, Doi Chaang is by far the most socially dynamic, and today there were several regulars who were conspicuously absent, otherwise the place would have been bursting at the seams. Perhaps we will see you there one day. :)

I quit caffeine 2 decades ago - it was doing a number on my kidneys and who knows what else.

"caffeine consumption causes the lack of mental alertness the habitual drinker is prone to. Without repeated administration of caffeine, energy drops and mental sharpness flags. Just like other addictive drugs, caffeine creates its own problems, and just like other drugs, the “cure” for those problems is more of the drug."

source

I'm just the messenger, but perhaps caffeine addicts might think twice next time they collectively jump down the throats of other addicted drug users - when there's a mention on ThaiVisa of a drug bust.

There's nothing more enjoyable than taking a shot at the messenger on ThaiVisa as you should well know by now Brahms.

I drank only the excellent free water that the Doi Chaang coffee shop supplies yesterday so in one visit I indulged in a little social intercourse, gave my kidneys a rest and enhanced my reputation as a local cheap Charlie.

Another perfect day in paradise. B)

I quit caffeine 2 decades ago - it was doing a number on my kidneys and who knows what else.

"caffeine consumption causes the lack of mental alertness the habitual drinker is prone to. Without repeated administration of caffeine, energy drops and mental sharpness flags. Just like other addictive drugs, caffeine creates its own problems, and just like other drugs, the "cure" for those problems is more of the drug."

source

I'm just the messenger, but perhaps caffeine addicts might think twice next time they collectively jump down the throats of other addicted drug users - when there's a mention on ThaiVisa of a drug bust.

An occasional coffee is a pleasure. I am against giving up pleasure. :) Someone can find something wrong about almost anything in excess :jap: .

"caffeine consumption causes the lack of mental alertness the habitual drinker is prone to. Without repeated administration of caffeine, energy drops and mental sharpness flags. Just like other addictive drugs, caffeine creates its own problems, and just like other drugs, the "cure" for those problems is more of the drug."

source

An occasional coffee is a pleasure. I am against giving up pleasure. :) Someone can find something wrong about almost anything in excess :jap: .

Yeah. Go easy on that 'free water' Scea. Everything in Moderation :D

source

I dunno about this. I haven't heard of too many people losing their homes, knocking off banks and mugging old ladies because their coffee habits get out of control. And so far, the turf-wars of the Chiang Rai coffee dealers haven't taken any innocent victims that I know of. But then again, maybe I am naive.

I have done all of the bad drugs of the good old days. I have done a hell of a lot of the good drugs of the good old days. So far, my coffee addiction has retained a much tighter grip, but caused less damage, than any of the other drugs of my past. So, while I hardly jump down the throats of drug users associated with drug busts mentioned by ThaiVisa, I don't quite see how the two camps end up in the same conversation.

Just so you know, sex has the same characteristics that you mentioned. In the younger crowd, the desire for sex can all but erase mental awareness of anything not concerning sex. And after the act is finished, energy drops and mental sharpness flags. And as you well know, the cure for that is more of the same.

Coffee anyone? smile.gif

And now, even further off-topic a bit. I see your theme-park idea is going to open on the 5th and 6th of next month. Good luck with that. My wife will certainly need the rush of the zip-lines now and then. I'll probably even take the in-laws out there from time to time, just so they can watch. It will be a hoot for them to see how the younger crowd is getting their thrills these days. Will you be offering Thai food as well as sandwiches there? The in-laws don't think too much of sandwiches. Let us know.

• 4 weeks later...

My old Yamaha 650 is running again. It has been standing still for 3 years but now a couple of good friends got it running again.

So I took it out for a testride and coming almost to Mae Chan I thought it was no good idea to pass the big policecheckpt there so I made a u-turn just before and stopped at the third last coffee-shop before the checkpoint on your left side going north.

The big yellow sign outside says something about "... sweet .. " and it is a great place for a very good cup of coffee. I also had a ham&cheese sandwich and topped it up with a blueberrycheesecake! Everything tasted wonderful and the 5-6 beautiful girls working there were nice to talk to.

Just for you coffee-drinkers to know!

:D:);)

"caffeine consumption causes the lack of mental alertness the habitual drinker is prone to. Without repeated administration of caffeine, energy drops and mental sharpness flags. Just like other addictive drugs, caffeine creates its own problems, and just like other drugs, the cure for those problems is more of the drug."

source

And now the latest health tip is to drink it for its antioxidant properties.

If you look hard enough you can find the good, bad and ugly of everything we eat drink and breathe.

I will stick with the attitude of "if I like it I will consume it". Note I said like it. And its my choice to make.

As to the OP: I find the S&P in CR the best so far. But down my way I prefer my own specially imported. Cheaper than buying the beans at S&P.

I always go for flavour & coffee quality rather than atmosphere, breathing not withstanding.

For the record VF put me on to S&P CR as I find S&P around Thailand a bit of hit & miss but CR reasonably consistent. Just cant wait for the new shopping centre to open

so I can get into S&P easier in the late afternoons and weekends

Edited by raylo

• 3 months later...