Where To Enjoy Coffee In The Rai...

villagefarang

Coffee roasting: an excursion to the very professional boutique coffee roasting establishment, Doiluang Coffee Roast House, belonging to Pathaphol Maniwong, some 54 km south of town, is recommended. This consists of a coffee shop in a garden, next to a small shed housing a roaster, and with some hand-sorting of beans taking place at the back of the building. The owner, through a translator, will discuss with you the different roasting preferences of the major international markets. Their coffee is the best I have tried in all my travels here. Soft, sweet, not over-roasted. Stock up. Make sure you get the roast you prefer: there are several varieties. www.doiluangcoffee.com: 053 786461

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coffee roasting: an excursion to the very professional boutique coffee roasting establishment, Doiluang Coffee Roast House, belonging to Pathaphol Maniwong, some 54 km south of town, is recommended. This consists of a coffee shop in a garden, next to a small shed housing a roaster, and with some hand-sorting of beans taking place at the back of the building. The owner, through a translator, will discuss with you the different roasting preferences of the major international markets. Their coffee is the best I have tried in all my travels here. Soft, sweet, not over-roasted. Stock up. Make sure you get the roast you prefer: there are several varieties. www.doiluangcoffee.com: 053 786461

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure you've all seen the signs around town announcing the opening of a new coffee shop and spa by the NamKok. ... just along the road from the RimKok Hotel and the Imperial Riverside resort. Beautiful wooden construction in a colonial/tropical style - high ceilings, white wood, small conservatory, pretty 'English' garden with delphiniums and borders overlooking the river. Very nice owner(s)- Thai with Swiss husband. She cooks all the cakes/pastries herself - and they are scrumptious. Big portion sizes - took three of us to eat a slice of the Banoffee pie.

Tried it out last week. Between us we tried an Americano, Caramel latte, and a white chocolate frappe -which had nice lumps of choc. in it. All v.v. good.

There's a spa building attached - a friend tried it and recommends it too. Prices are a little higher than Wawee or Doi Chang, but it's now no. 1 for us. Relaxing.

I think it's open till 7pm at night.

Edited by harsu

Thanks.

Fully agree and a nice place to visit too. I am now drinking a cup of ther excellent Classic Extra and wish I had not bought a kilo so would have an excuse to return sooner.

Thanks.

Fully agree and a nice place to visit too. I am now drinking a cup of ther excellent Classic Extra and wish I had not bought a kilo so would have an excuse to return sooner.

Hi Harrry,

I am trying to get my bearings here. I normally ride from CR to the PTT south of Mae Suai. I google mapped the address and it says that the coffee shop is further south, that true?

Thanks,

Garry

I'm sure you've all seen the signs around town announcing the opening of a new coffee shop and spa by the NamKok. ... just along the road from the RimKok Hotel and the Imperial Riverside resort. Beautiful wooden construction in a colonial/tropical style - high ceilings, white wood, small conservatory, pretty 'English' garden with delphiniums and borders overlooking the river. Very nice owner(s)- Thai with Swiss husband. She cooks all the cakes/pastries herself - and they are scrumptious. Big portion sizes - took three of us to eat a slice of the Banoffee pie.

Tried it out last week. Between us we tried an Americano, Caramel latte, and a white chocolate frappe -which had nice lumps of choc. in it. All v.v. good.

There's a spa building attached - a friend tried it and recommends it too. Prices are a little higher than Wawee or Doi Chang, but it's now no. 1 for us. Relaxing.

Just two small details: The husband is from Sweden so do not ask him about watches but he might sell you a fighterjet or two.

And you can find the place going from The Statue north over the bridge, turn left at the trafficlight after the bridge and then left again on Soi 3. At the end of that road turn left.

Here is the map, click on Chivit Thamma Da! Restaurants in Chiang Rai !

Yes, you can add your own favorite restaurants to the map ! ;)

But you were right about all the other things. Great coffee, fantastic cakes, good food, some imported beer and quite a lot of different very nice wines.

:D:):D

Thanks.

Hi Harrry,

I am trying to get my bearings here. I normally ride from CR to the PTT south of Mae Suai. I google mapped the address and it says that the coffee shop is further south, that true?

Thanks,

Garry

Yes, a fair bit further south. It says at the 172km mark but not sure of that. The google map is right though there is a bit more vegetation now. It is on the left of the road heading south and I think it has a yellow sign. The darker building in the satelite is the coffee shop and the lighter the roaster.

I understand the plantation is 29km up in the mountains.

• 4 months later...

Today we stopped off at a new venue on the old Chiang mai road. Belonging to the Singha corporation and located at the roadside of their 8000 rai tea and fruit plantation, the Rai Boonrawd (ไร่ บุญรอด) offers that rare thing in Chiang rai - coffee or tea and cakes and something to 'do' as well. They opened officially a couple of weeks ago and for 50 bahts (free water/ tea tasters/10bahts off other drink in tea/coffee shop) you get a very pleasant ride around the tea plantations and fruit growing areas on an open sided tour bus with knowledgeable guides,(Thai speaking and English) lots of brief stops for those essential photo opportunities and (today) tastes of jujubes and strawberries that were in season. The strawberries were almost as good as those we grew in Scotland - certainly the nicest by far we have had in Thailand. Khun Oh was our English speaking guide - and very good she was too. The site has beeen developed over the last 30 years, next year they hope to have tours around the tea factory as well.

We tried the iced lemon tea in the tea shop made from their own tea, grown and also processed on the estate and an oolang barley tea - both delicious. There is also a shop where they sell jams, fruit juices and teas from the estate.

There is also a new restaurant ( ร้านอาหารภูภีรมย์)inside the estate, looked very nice with a terrace overlooking the rice paddies and tea rows- haven't tried the food yet but definately looks worth a return visit if only to sit on that terrace in the early evening light.

Directions from CR town - go down the old Chiang Mai road for about 10 kilometres from Denha traffic lights. You go past the Horticltural centre where the Pot Luck is held and the Tech. college. Just before the Akha Foundation(?) on the right side of the road is the site. If you pass the very large Singha statue in the field on the right hand side of the road -you've missed it.

Yes that is a nice place Harsu. Was very pleasant sitting outside there last time I went.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I stopped making the rounds of coffee shops a while back. I am making coffee at home again so have not kept up with the new places and only occasionally stop off at Starbuck's while waiting for my wife at the Mall. Kind of a long drive for a morning cup of coffee. ;)

Today we stopped off at a new venue on the old Chiang mai road. Belonging to the Singha corporation and located at the roadside of their 8000 rai tea and fruit plantation, the Rai Boonrawd (ไร่ บุญรอด) offers that rare thing in Chiang rai - coffee or tea and cakes and something to 'do' as well. They opened officially a couple of weeks ago and for 50 bahts (free water/ tea tasters/10bahts off other drink in tea/coffee shop) you get a very pleasant ride around the tea plantations and fruit growing areas on an open sided tour bus with knowledgeable guides,(Thai speaking and English) lots of brief stops for those essential photo opportunities and (today) tastes of jujubes and strawberries that were in season. The strawberries were almost as good as those we grew in Scotland - certainly the nicest by far we have had in Thailand. Khun Oh was our English speaking guide - and very good she was too. The site has beeen developed over the last 30 years, next year they hope to have tours around the tea factory as well.

We tried the iced lemon tea in the tea shop made from their own tea, grown and also processed on the estate and an oolang barley tea - both delicious. There is also a shop where they sell jams, fruit juices and teas from the estate.

There is also a new restaurant ( ร้านอาหารภูภีรมย์)inside the estate, looked very nice with a terrace overlooking the rice paddies and tea rows- haven't tried the food yet but definately looks worth a return visit if only to sit on that terrace in the early evening light.

Directions from CR town - go down the old Chiang Mai road for about 10 kilometres from Denha traffic lights. You go past the Horticltural centre where the Pot Luck is held and the Tech. college. Just before the Akha Foundation(?) on the right side of the road is the site. If you pass the very large Singha statue in the field on the right hand side of the road -you've missed it.

This could be a place to visit next year when we hope to come back to Chiang Rai for a few days.:)

• 1 month later...

I'm sure you've all seen the signs around town announcing the opening of a new coffee shop and spa by the NamKok. ... just along the road from the RimKok Hotel and the Imperial Riverside resort. Beautiful wooden construction in a colonial/tropical style - high ceilings, white wood, small conservatory, pretty 'English' garden with delphiniums and borders overlooking the river. Very nice owner(s)- Thai with Swedish husband. She cooks all the cakes/pastries herself - and they are scrumptious. Big portion sizes - took three of us to eat a slice of the Banoffee pie.

Finally got around to taking some pictures. Some things need to be seen to be believed.

Chiwit%2520%2520004.jpg

Chiwit%2520%2520005.jpg

Chiwit%2520%2520003.jpg

Chiwit%2520%2520006.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I love coffee. biggrin.pngcoffee1.gifbiggrin.png

Why do you drink at Starbucks then?

I drink there because I happen to like the taste, especially with an added shot. I enjoy a wide variety of blends and brewing styles and I am more focused on what I like than peripheral concerns. That said, I do drink most of my coffee at home.

I love coffee, all kinds of coffee.thumbsup.gif

Anyone tried the elephant dung coffee from anatarra resorts?

I seen it in the TV news section.At $50 a cup or $1100 a kilo t would want to be good.

Sounds like VF is a pretty good judge of coffee so I think he should be our taste tester and report back to us and include some photos?

Anyone tried the elephant dung coffee from anatarra resorts?

I seen it in the TV news section.At $50 a cup or $1100 a kilo t would want to be good.

Sounds like VF is a pretty good judge of coffee so I think he should be our taste tester and report back to us and include some photos?

I suppose I was remiss in not posting about Black Ivory in the coffee thread instead of the Good Things thread.wai.gif Thanks for bringing it up and offering to sponsor me as the taste tester.wink.png If you pay, I will definitely try a cup or two, write a report and even try to get a photo of the source.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Black Ivory Coffee, direct from the Golden Triangle, must surely be a good thing.whistling.giflaugh.pngcoffee1.gif

I guess I was being too subtle with my reference to elephant poop coffee which sells for more than civet poop coffee.huh.png

This coffee is produced by Anantara Hotel at their elephant camp behind their Golden Triangle resort right here in Chiang Rai. Apparently it retails at $1100 per kilo compared to civet coffee which goes for $500-600 per kilo. You can read about it on cnngo. Just one more example of how amazing Chiang Rai really is.biggrin.png

Has anyone tried growing coffee in the Rai? It might do really well in the shade of larger trees. I've heard it's grown in the province for export by the Akha Tribe?????????????

I seem to remember someone posting they had some coffee trees but can’t remember who. Of course, Doi Chaang Coffee, Doi Waawee Coffee, and Doi Tung Coffee are perhaps the most commercial and best known coffees grown in the Chiang Rai area. As coffee trees are usually grown at altitude and in areas where Hill Tribe people often reside it would make sense they are involved in the process.

Chiang Rai fits nicely into the growing parameters for Arabica beans, of 16 to 24 degrees latitude, (CR is roughly 19 to 20 degrees north), and an altitude between 1800 and 3600 feet.

• 5 weeks later...