Life Insurance

Dustoff

I was told by a Thai saleman that Thai companies are prohbited from writing policies for farang unless they are employed in Thailand. On the other side of the coin their rates are much too high anyway.

However, trying to get a western policy prooves difficult, cause they want you in the states or in Europe to take the physical (they seem to fear fraud). This is just not acceptable nor make sense, as there are many doctors here that can do a physical and send the information to the the Insurance companies. I have fought this issue for what seems like ages now. Yes, I have found a few that will insure me but their rates are incredibly high for a 20 year term policy.

Sorry to steal your thread but it just got me started again.

~

I had AIG (I think it was) ask for a work permit. I am on a retirement visa which seems to have most of the same privileges here, so I am still hoping. Being 64 years old is no help either...

I was hoping someone out there had been successful but it seems pretty quiet - a trip back to the States just for insurance is a hassle but may be necessary...

Thanks anyway.

Edited by Dustoff

~

I had AIG (I think it was) ask for a work permit. I am on a retirement visa which seems to have most of the same privileges here, so I am still hoping.  Being 64 years old is no help either...

I was hoping someone out there had been successful but it seems pretty quiet - a trip back to the States just for insurance is a hassle but may be necessary...

Thanks anyway.

I tried AIA and they approved me the first time no work permit just married but i have pension but to young to use it as a visa.

But the sales girl was to messy so i scraped it.

After a month i met a Thai guy that sels them and i tried to get one but then it was stop and he said if i had done it i would have problem when i wanted money from them besides that i was dead. :o

Because underwriters of insurance work with unknown factors already, they have to nail down as many of the knowable factors. And home office underwriters by nature must be very careful, dealing only with factors they know. Asking a Western country to insure somebody who isn't in the country - too much of a risk.

Vampyros, was your Thai agent suggesting that if you died while insured, your beneficiary would have trouble collecting the benefits? That's really scary.

~

The latest is that a Thai guy who works for AIA called and says no problem. As long as I am not over 65 yrs old and have a retirement or work visa, I can qualify. The shortest Term Life policy is 7 years and I will not know prices until we get together 2-3 days from now.

I did not ask about any other type as Term is all I am interested in. Gonna be EXPENSIVE, I bet... :o

I will obtain contact info for others if all of this works out.

I or rather the wife and I checked with one of her friends and the friend said she could write a policy but then I read the payout when I died and also the monthly payments and said NO WAY. She was quoting over $100 a month for a payout of 250,000 baht when I died. Could borrow on the monies paid in after a certain period but I said no thanks. I am going to check with the US also and will let everyone know what I find out.